Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality of carrying a gun in an NPE

I didn't have time to throughly read this entire thread, but here is my opinion. As regards to carrying a conceled pistol in a NPE and the morality of it.
    It is immoral for a company or Goverment to require that a person has to remain defenseless at the workplace or anyplace. It is also immoral to comply with such requests and risk leaving your wife and children without a husband/father.

Byron,
    Every employee (contract employees are usually exempt) have a fiduciary obligation to the employer. You are obligated to be loyal to the employer while you are working, and not to disparage the employer when not on duty.

If you were a plumber working for an employer you cannot moonlight while on the clock or take the employers customers for yourself. You would be exposing yourself to a potential lawsuit or even criminal charges (depending on the State)

That doesn't require you to promise to stay at that company, but while you are there you have a fiduciary duty.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Or how about this gem early in the handbook? "You owe a duty of loyalty to the Company."
    You work for IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    You are obligated to be loyal to the employer while you are working, and not to disparage the employer when not on duty.
    Ok, this all adds up now. I guess you do work for IDPA, Byron!

-----

Seriously, what a thread. I have avoided commenting because I might give unintentional insult, and others have expressed my views so well already. But I am going to bluntly say what I think now: my first right and responsibility is to attempt to continue my existence, which speaks directly to the right to self-defense, and the tools attendant to that right. Anyone who wants to undermine that can go piss up a rope. I went through a kind of adolescence where I was really really concerned about not breaking other people's stupid rules, but that day is done. Now I just don't give a shit what dumbass people think. But I won't tell them that. I'll just shine them on and do what I my conscience tells me is the right thing, balanced against the practical consequences I can foresee and that I care about.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    ... my first right and responsibility is to attempt to continue my existence, which speaks directly to the right to self-defense, and the tools attendant to that right. Anyone who wants to undermine that can go piss up a rope. I went through a kind of adolescence where I was really really concerned about not breaking other people's stupid rules, but that day is done. Now I just don't give a shit what dumbass people think. But I won't tell them that. I'll just shine them on and do what I my conscience tells me is the right thing, balanced against the practical consequences I can foresee and that I care about.
    Not to sound like an internet nut-swinger, but that is worthy of memorizing.

Yeah, Gabe sort of put an end to this epic thread. In a good way, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Actually, I'm agreeing to take money in exchange for a job that maybe 1-3% of the population can do at the talent/quality level that I do. What I carry on my person while performing that should be largely irrelevant.
    You may be correct, but if the employer disagrees, so be it. They get to write the checks.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    There are still places in this country where it's perfectly legal to fire someone for being gay. Not because they whipped their dick out at work. Not because they plastered their cubicle with photos of naked men. Not because they raped someone in the bathroom. Simply because they go home to a committed partner of the same sex.
    Pack your shit, homo. Get out of here. Have fun finding another job... especially after we make sure word gets out around here.
    And if I had to live in one of those places for a while, I would happily lie to anyone's face that my coworker was in fact straight, knowing full well that he wasn't. My moral compass tells me that's the honorable thing to do: protect the job of a friend who has done absolutely nothing wrong. Whether or not I cash my paycheck has no influence on my decision whatsoever.
    I suppose some people's moral compass tells them that the right thing to do is "out" the coworker if the boss ever asks. You agreed to take their money: you better be their rat.
    I would suggest the better course of action would be to resign in protest. After all, you said your paycheck has no influence on your decision, so it seems reasonable you would be willing to give up that paycheck. If enough folks would do that bad rules would probably disappear, or the company would.
    By your logic, only open carry is honorable and people who carry concealed anywhere "realize their actions are wrong."
    Nonsense. Not only does that require an out of context consideration, that is not in any way a logical conclusion to my statement.
    That's material damage.
    What is the material damage of a holstered firearm inside of someone's pants that never comes out and no one ever knows about?
    So if nobody knows about it makes it OK? Sorry, I don't accept that. If you hire an electrician to wire your house, and you pay him to use a certain type and quality of wire, is it OK if he substitutes a cheaper, less effective wire as long as you don't find out about it? I would say no, it is dishonest, because he is claiming to agree to follow the standards you have set and accepting the money for it, but not actually fulfilling the agreement.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    In that event, every major firm in the country is wrong in this regard.
    That might be so, I'm not aware of the source for that so I can't comment much, other than to say just because they are doing it does that then mean it is right for them to do it?

Businesses make decision based on what's best for the business. As an example, I was employed by a large international corporation for approximately 7 years and they decided to stop funding pensions for the entire company out of the blue one day. No notice, no nothing, tough shit, deal with it.

I make decisions based on what's best for me and my family. One of those decisions is to make sure I get home safe to them and to ensure their safety when I'm with them. My sole allegiance and alliance is to my wife and family, not some corporate entity.

User Tag List