Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality of carrying a gun in an NPE

Morality of carrying a gun in an NPE

Mod Note: Thread split from the "Full size gun in an NPE thread"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I'm starting a new job soon and they are an NPE (corporate policy, no metal detectors or anything). While a year from now I'll have the disposable income to buy a new gun - for now, I don't. I have my P30 or my wife's M&PC (and she won't be happy if I steal it from her) for the foreseeable future.

I currently use a JMCK AIWB holster with my P30. I wear button up shirts untucked and an undershirt behind the gun - but occasionally when I reach up the clips and/or gun show - but no one cares where I'm at as I'm one of many who carry.

Since my current wardrobe is okay at the new place what I am going to attempt is to use a custom made JMCK tuckable AIWB for my P30, which I will tuck my undershirt over and then leave my over shirt untucked.

Has anyone else tried carrying in a NPE with a fullsize/compact gun? What worked for you? What didn't?
    This ones easy, if it's a private company and you want to work there you should abide by their policies. You don't want to start you're job there being deceitful.
    Last edited by JDM; 03-18-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Moderator note

Actually it's not easy at all. The whole reason I carry is because I witnessed violence in the workplace in a place that was "safe". I will not work somewhere and not carry. Period. End of story. I don't care what their corporate ninny's think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This ones easy, if it's a private company and you want to work there you should abide by their policies. You don't want to start you're job there being deceitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No sale.

Companies dont ban carry because of moral grounds.While specific legalities vary, the broad strokes are this: its cheaper for the company to let their staff get shot then to be named in a suit when an employee forcibly halts an assault. Shot up employees cant sue the company, but shot up thugs certainly will.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    No sale.

Companies dont ban carry because of moral grounds.While specific legalities vary, the broad strokes are this: its cheaper for the company to let their staff get shot then to be named in a suit when an employee forcibly halts an assault. Shot up employees cant sue the company, but shot up thugs certainly will.
    I know that we are all gun people here, but I think lots of people genuinely don't want guns in the workplace.... I would be surprised many places have ever gone as far as a detailed discussion of the litigious fallout of a potential work place self defense shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I would be surprised many places have ever gone as far as a detailed discussion of the litigious fallout of a potential work place self defense shooting.
    When it comes to lawyers and companies worried about not being sued... I bet it's happened way more times than you could imagine. I swear some companies only exist to avoid being sued.

I would be surprised many places have ever gone as far as a detailed discussion of the litigious fallout of a potential work place self defense shooting.
    I would be surprised if they had a detailed discussion, too....because I bet it was a short discussion instead.

If we allow it, we are responsible for it.

End of story.

Pretty simple business decision based on liability, not morals.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I know that we are all gun people here, but I think lots of people genuinely don't want guns in the workplace.... I would be surprised many places have ever gone as far as a detailed discussion of the litigious fallout of a potential work place self defense shooting.
    You would (hopefully) be shocked by the amount of grief I get from my cousins (all local police officers of one stripe or another) about the fact that I carry off duty. "Whadda ya think, ISIS is gonna crash my daughter's boithday party?" They all think I'm whacko.

I've been surprised as well by how their spouses, and the children of long-time "cop families" up here are all TERRIFIED of guns. Like the holstered pistol on my hip is going to fall out and start spraying bullets randomly around the room. These folks are all DEEP in the NYistan brain washed state of "all guns are bad."

I can only imagine what it's like in the corporate world, where no one has ever even SEEN a gun outside of a movie or TV screen, and the only thing they associate a pistol with is a mugging, rape or murder.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER move to NY...

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    No sale.

More than likely they don't want to deal with the liability of some chucklehead NDing because he wanted to show his buddy his new gat. Or someone took it off to use the toilet and left it there. Or some POS nylon holster didn't work, etc.

Well, there's that. We can be our own worst enemy some (most) of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    More than likely they don't want to deal with the liability of some chucklehead NDing because he wanted to show his buddy his new gat. Or someone took it off to use the toilet and left it there. Or some POS nylon holster didn't work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    You would (hopefully) be shocked by the amount of grief I get from my cousins (all local police officers of one stripe or another) about the fact that I carry off duty. "Whadda ya think, ISIS is gonna crash my daughter's boithday party?" They all think I'm whacko.

I've been surprised as well by how their spouses, and the children of long-time "cop families" up here are all TERRIFIED of guns. Like the holstered pistol on my hip is going to fall out and start spraying bullets randomly around the room. These folks are all DEEP in the NYistan brain washed state of "all guns are bad."

I can only imagine what it's like in the corporate world, where no one has ever even SEEN a gun outside of a movie or TV screen, and the only thing they associate a pistol with is a mugging, rape or murder.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER move to NY...
    I would expect this mentality if the cousins worked in small quiet communities or were assigned to various administrative assignments or with the in-vogue "hug-a-thug" units. Inter-city beat trash tend to have a more realistic grasp of the concept that there are evil minded people out there.

What many in the private sector can not comprehend is the fact that evil minded people are not contained in "bad neighborhoods". They can steal a car an go where ever they choose. Work place active shooters involving suspects with undiagnosed mental issues are a real threat in the corporate world, "where no one has ever even SEEN a gun outside of a movie or TV screen, and the only thing they associate a pistol with is a mugging, rape or murder."

When cowering in fear under the desk in your corporate cubicle, it's a bit too late to decide to take a more realistic view on life and the need to be able to protect oneself from the evil that exists in the world.

I agree that some companies are worried about civil litigation if they permit a shooting. Years ago, I was upset when I was dispatched to a bank robbery in progress and I was less than a block away. I eventually discovered that the suspects had fled 9 minutes prior to the bank's corporate security notifying police. The corporate policy was to hold off notifying Law Enforcement for 9 minutes, so as to permit armed suspects to escape. They did not want to risk the civil liability they may sincere should a gunfight occur within the bank.

I do know of one Doctor who happens to be a Chief of Staff at a prestigious hospital on the west coast. He shared a story in which he was among three armed doctors attending a meeting with some prominent guests. He happened to have a Glock 19 under his scrubs AWIB. And no one knew that any of the hospital staff were armed.

So yes, it can be done. You just have to work at it a bit. You also have to consider the risk of it being known that you are armed in a NPE environment, vs. the risk of being unarmed and an active shooting incident were to occur.

User Tag List