Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality of carrying a gun in an NPE

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

I sincerely appreciate your candor and apology, even though I didn't feel like you owed me one.

I respect your desire to keep discussion going, but I think we've drifted way too far off topic. It is my personal opinion that the Civil War just isn't a relevant discussion to be had in this thread.

You've referenced primary sources from Lincoln, so I have to assume that you've also read primary sources from key members of the Confederacy. To have read those latter words straight from the horse's mouth, and still hold the position that you do, means that nothing I could say would change your mind.

That we have such divergent views of other historical events further reinforces my belief.

It is not my intent to disrespect you, so I hope it does not come across that way. Rather, I'm just saying that I'd prefer to "agree to disagree."
    Oh, You can reply to the civil war comments.

I didn't know that's what your counter points were going to be towards. That being said; I thought Captain was discussing the civil war or direct after math before full rights were granted to freed slaves, etc. that's the only reason I brought up the Civil War.

As far as the rest of it goes; whatever you think is prudent. If that's leave it as it be that suits me just fine. I've said pretty much everything I need (well, and more than needed) to say at this point.

Discussing this sort of thing with a friend, we concluded that if everyone had the same moral compass, freedom and liberty would be irrelevant concepts.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    And at that time I would think you had the option at that time of not continuing your employment under the new terms.
    And you would be incorrect.

Goddam, Byron. No wonder they call you the d*** shooter. You've been *killing* this thread since post one.
    Last one upstream may well be your best yet. I'm going to go re-read that one directly...

Site Supporter
    I hope this doesn't cross the line with regards to the discussion of illegal activity; but I was wondering if those folks that oppose carrying in employer mandated NPEs feel the same way about government mandated NPEs. It seems that most of us recognize the right to bear arms for personal defense a basic human right. What about those folks that LIVE in NPEs? Is it immoral for someone to carry a firearm in those places where it is proscribed by law?

I've personally made the decision not to carry anyplace it is illegal for me to do so (in my case, everywhere but at home and on occasion at work). I don't really have much option in the matter as CCW permits are nearly impossible to get where I live. Furthermore, I don't have a wife or kids to provide for or protect. So, if I get "made" carrying, I lose my job, lose my guns, lose any savings I have paying for my legal defense and probably wind up with a criminal record. In short, the consequences are nearly the same as if I was the victim of a violent crime... my life is pretty screwed up.

Would anyone question the integrity or honor of a man (or woman) who has no legal means to exercise a fundamental human right and decides to carry a gun in order to protect themselves or their family even though it is illegal?

It is illegal for me to carry at my office; meaning the location of my desk.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Goddam, Byron. No wonder they call you the d*** shooter. You've been *killing* this thread since post one.
    We call him that because he quite literally shot me in the penis with a sims round.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    It is illegal for me to carry at my office; meaning the location of my desk.
    I have never in my life understood how that state of affairs can logically exist. I know many things in this world make no sense, but that's so painfully stupid you'd figure somebody would have fixed it by now.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-22-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    3/15/2016

One would think......but I'll refer you to sections and beliefs relayed in this topic. One or two of those mindsets in the right places and viola'.......

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    We call him that because he quite literally shot me in the penis with a sims round.
    I had surmised as much, and in what circumstances; I just wasn't sure of the DIQ. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I would argue the company was wrong if they were deceptive towards you. For example, if they agree they will put $5 for each hour you work into a retirement account for you, I doubt it would be OK to find out years later they were only putting $1 in that account, even if you did not discover that at the time.
    In that event, every major firm in the country is wrong in this regard.

So, what then? Observe that lawsuits are a universally undesireable situation for every company , which means gun bans to avoid liability will be more or less universal as well.

Another note-just because an employer hasnt said in the handbook its "against the rules to carry" specifically doesnt mean you cant get fired if youre made.The management will simply scour the rulebook until they can sack your armed hiney for something else-like being late thirty seconds, or "abusing company resources" because your printed an airline ticket. One manager I dealt with in a job with unionized staff got around the regs by waiting.

That simple-because there were so many diverse ways to commit a "Code of Business Conduct" violation -like not reading a disclosure script to the letter-he'd wait until an employee inevitably broke it, then covertly documented the incident. When said employee had to go, shazam-HR would find out about the violation and that's all she wrote.He'd take heat in the short term for not 'immediately' notifying HQ, but he'd still have a job and the fired employee wouldnt.

So. Even if your employer doesnt necessarily ban carry....doesnt mean you cant get the boot for it indirectly. I'd also wager that unless the management is educated in lethal force and personally understanding of the circumstances, if you drop a thug on company property youre gone no matter what the book says.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List