Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR 9mm

Jody,

You aren't helping my checking account at all with this.

How much "worse" is the recoil from this LCR9 vs a J-frame with, say 148 gr wadcutters? How does it compare to some of the micro 9mm semi-auto's?

The standard pressure 124 Speer Gold Dot 9mm recoil is equivalent to 130gr. +P Winchester Ranger .38's.
    To me the revolver has more recoil than a Kahr PM9 shooting the same ammo, despite the fact they have identical loaded weights.
    The action of the slide spreads the recoil out over a longer duration making it seem lighter.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The standard pressure 124 Speer Gold Dot 9mm recoil is equivalent to 130gr. +P Winchester Ranger .38's.
    To me the revolver has more recoil than a Kahr PM9 shooting the same ammo, despite the fact they have identical loaded weights.
    The action of the slide spreads the recoil out over a longer duration making it seem lighter.
    This has been my experience as well. The recoil is sharper than a Kahr PM9 with the same ammo. Overall, though, I am still pleased with my 9mm LCR and carry it daily. I carry it in a PCS "No-see-um", which is boned on the inside and flat on the outside. Mine has a forward cant for front pocket carry in khakis. I definitely recommend getting the factory boot grip as it is much more concealable. It's also smooth, so it doesn't grab your pocket.

I'd say the 9mm LCR is a good buy. It was a better choice for me than a M642/442 because of the ammo situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Probably still gonna jump some. By necessity, rimless cartridges use a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp.

Those are some of the very few 9mm rounds using a bullet with a cannelure, hence me thinking they might, maybe, work a bit better.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Those are some of the very few 9mm rounds using a bullet with a cannelure, hence me thinking they might, maybe, work a bit better.
    Well, think about that for a minute. Cannelures, if rolled into the case AFTER the bullet is seated, do indeed help "hold" the bullet in place until ignition.

OTOH, a bullet with a cannelure is still just a bullet; one that requires case tension to hold it.

Cannelured bullets are the New Grail (as opposed to bonded cores) for keeping bullets intact while passing through barriers. Its the 'secret' to the HST's superior performance... Federal got it right on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, think about that for a minute. Cannelures, if rolled into the case AFTER the bullet is seated, do indeed help "hold" the bullet in place until ignition.

OTOH, a bullet with a cannelure is still just a bullet; one that requires case tension to hold it.

Cannelured bullets are the New Grail (as opposed to bonded cores) for keeping bullets intact while passing through barriers. Its the 'secret' to the HST's superior performance... Federal got it right on that one.

Yeah, people have discovered "CorLokt" all over again.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Jody, any additional insights on the LCR? I have been somewhat interested in one for a while, and this thread revitalized that interest. Basically, my thoughts mirror your first post. I end up with a J-frame often enough that having it shoot the same bullits as my primary guns is very attractive.

Has it replaced your 442 yet? Why or why not? How are the moon clips? I have heard they are difficult to work with, may not hold up well, etc.

I'm also curious about the terminal ballistics of the LCR in 9mm. This may be outside the scope of this thread. Barrel length shouldn't be a huge issue; you figure 3" in a gun like the CM9 or P938, which includes the chamber so we'll subtract 1.1" for the OAL of a 9mm cartridge, and you're right around the 1.875" of the LCR. But that is already on the very low end of 9mm velocities, and then you add the cylinder gap. I imagine that might be beyond the velocity envelope that most JHPs were designed for.

I have a lot of faith in my 135gr Short Barrel Gold Dots, but I have never seen the 9mm Short Barrel Gold Dot that I have read exists. I'm not entirely convinced that if I stuff some 147gr Gold Dots or Critical Duties in there (my normal load), that I'm going to get what I'm looking for. Might be interesting to shoot a few different common service rounds into gelatin/water/newspaper/ultra-realistic zombie simulator/etc and see what happens.
    Join FPC

I carried my 442 over spring break, but that's because I still don't have enough rounds downrange with the LCR to 100% trust it yet.
    In my experience moon clips are fine as long as your careful loading and unloading them and don't step on them.
    Everything I've read shows the LCR giving higher velocities than the Kahr PM with the same ammo.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks. Keep us updated. That's interesting about the velocity..
    Join FPC

What's "bullet pull"?

User Tag List