Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR 9mm

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Don't know if you've tried them, but the Mika Pocket Holster has worked well for me with my LCR.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Thanks for the write-up, please keep 'em coming.

I'd sort of moved away from the idea of picking one of these up, but with the warmer weather picking up it's been on my mind.

Hmmm. Sights can be changed, but bullet pull is disconcerting.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Bullet pull is the nature of the beast with auto rounds in a lightweight revolver. The 9mm evolved to be supported in a magazine, not free in a open ended cylinder. They aren't crimped like revolver rounds usually are.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Jody, thanks for your info in this thread.

When the dust settles, do you think the advantages of the 9mm cartridge outweigh the negatives of its use in a revolver?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Depends on ammo availability in your area. Around here .38 is nearly impossible to find and I don't shoot enough of it to justify shipping expense unless it's tacked on to a big 9mm order. Thought I'd try and cut down the logistics a bit.
    Now that I found a fmj that has no bullet pull and a jhp with very little pull I'm liking it. The moon clips are an advantage over speed loaders too.
    I'd prefer .38 if it was available on a regular basis. I'd choose 9mm over .357 because of price/round and the magnum is just plain violent out of a snub.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Bullet pull is the nature of the beast with auto rounds in a lightweight revolver. The 9mm evolved to be supported in a magazine, not free in a open ended cylinder. They aren't crimped like revolver rounds usually are.
    I understand the difference in crimp. When 300gr .44 bullets came out I immediately started loading them, and locked up a SA revolver when one jumped the crimp. This may or may not be an issue in the LCR (I'm guessing the cylinder is .357 length), but that's my concern.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    San Antonio has tons of standard cheap range 38 SPL at the big box stores. Just info, if one is in the area. Probably the same in El Paso.

I note that the Critical Defense and Duty 9mm loads are listed as being crimped. Might be worth a look.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I note that the Critical Defense and Duty 9mm loads are listed as being crimped. Might be worth a look.
    Probably still gonna jump some. By necessity, rimless cartridges use a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp.

I recall this being a bit of an issue with the half-dozen or so S&W 940s that showed up at in-service for several years. The "duty" rounds (1st gen 147gr Hydra-Shoks) did it just as bad as the training ball. IIRC, Blazer aluminum ball was the worst.

User Tag List