Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR 9mm

LCR 9mm

Just picked up a Ruger LCR 9mm... because I want one, that's why.
    I really like snubbies for pocket carry because the hammerless versions come out of a pocket slicker than any auto due to the rounded humped frame and grip profile.
    When I'm driving most of the day a snubby in the pocket is my go to.
    Another reason is I have a much larger stock of 9mm FMJ and JHP than I do .38, and the 9mm is usually much cheaper with better availability as well.

I haven't done anything except coon finger the LCR so far, I'll be headed to the range this afternoon.
    The trigger is very nice for a factory snubby. I like the trigger better than my S&W 442 w/Apex kit. While the trigger weight and travel are similar, the LCR is much more linear and consistent and doesn't have any hiccups or hitches in it's git a long. The reset is also better than the Apex 442 which just doesn't have quite enough rebound spring IMO.

Size wise the LCR is slightly larger all the way around and a few ounces heavier than the 442, but nothing that makes any difference in my pockets.
    The LCR fits into and comes out of my Nemesis pocket holster great. I have a El Paso Saddlery leather pocket holster coming because leather doesn't get as hot and sweaty against my thigh as the rubberized nylon pocket holsters do.
    I have some Hogue Piranha G10 Bantam grips coming to trim down the grip profile and slick up the draw some since the rubber grips are a bit large and tend to snag on my pocket lining.

I'm headed to the range with a large assortment of FMJ and JHP to see what shoots closest to POA and if I have any bullet pull issues.
    I'll throw out some shooting impressions and info this evening.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Interested in hearing more.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'd like to know how it goes shooting 147gr ammo, if you have any that is.

Back from the initial range session with mixed results.

It's 2015, how hard can it be to regulate sights to the most common round for the caliber? How hard is it to get in the same zip code with the most common rounds for the caliber?
    I put 135, 124 and 115 grain standard and +P 9mm rounds into nice small groups... 6" below POA at 10 yards.
    At 25Y, aiming at the head box resulted in mid to upper A zone body hits on a USPSA target (about a foot low at 25Y).
    Windage was dead on, so that's good.
    My 442 on the other hand shoots standard pressure 130gr. Winchester JHP's 4"-6" low 25Y and about 1" low at 10Y.
    At least the LCR's impacting low, I can always file down the front sight to bring the POI up if there aren't any other front sight options.
    Accuracy was very good, 5 rounds into 2" at 10Y was the norm. I'm happy with that out of a brand new snubby.

Extraction was fine with no binding and the moon clips load and unload easily.
    All good there.

I did have one round of 115gr Geco fmj that didn't go off on the first hit. The primer dimple looked a little light to me and it's something I'll keep an eye on.
    All the other assorted rounds went off no problem.

Bullet pull.
    Every ammo tested showed some degree of bullet pull on the 5th round.
    It ranged from 1/32" to 1/16", the bullets were still tight enough that I couldn't pull them out with my fingers (even with some wiggling).
    Bullet pull does happen, but so far it isn't a show stopper.

The plan for now is to give Ruger a call and see if they have a shorter front sight or if they have another option for raising the POI 12" at 25Y.
    I'm also going to get some notoriously hard primered ammo like Wolf and see how hard the hammer hits. If I get a lot of light strikes I'll have Ruger take a look at it.
    Right now the LCR 9mm is a work in progress and I'll still be pocketing my 442 until things take a turn for the better.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Out of curiosity Jody, What did the firing pin indent on the factory fired case look like?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Out of curiosity Jody, What did the firing pin indent on the factory fired case look like?
    Heck if I know, I threw it and the lock away before I even left the store.

I'll admit that I was hoping for a better report on the POA/POI front, but not holding my breath. Please feel encouraged to keep us posted as you endeavor to sort that out.

I took a medium and then a fine cut file and knocked 0.050" off the front sight blade then hit it with a Birchwood Casey "Super Black" touch up pen.
    Now with 115gr. standard pressure rounds I'm only 1" low at 10Y.
    I'm headed out later when I have more free time to walk it back to 25Y with my 124gr. standard pressure Speer GDHP's to see what the POA/POI is.
    I don't mind 2" or 3" low at 25Y out of a snubby, the 0.050" should get me well within that.
    If I can find some 147gr. HST that should get me dead on hopefully.

Hilariously, my .38 LCR was ~8-10" high at 7y with 158gr bullets (standard weight .38). A 6'o'clock hold with 125gr gold dots was right on. I'd imagine 110gr bullets would have been poi/poa.

Even more hilariously, my 1984 colt agent is almost identical. I would have thought that one was well and truly regulated for 158gr bullets, given its age.

Much better range session today.
    My preferred POA/POI is the top dead center of the front sight at 25Y.
    Standard 115gr. Geco FMJ was dead on a 10Y and still dead on at 25Y.
    Standard pressure 124gr. Speer GDHP's were 1" high at 10Y and 2"-3" high at 25Y.
    It looks like shaving 0.050" off the front sight was just what it needed. Now I just need to put some fluorescent orange paint on the front blade and it'll be perfect.
    Later I may square off the shooter side of the front sight a bit for a sharper/brighter sight picture but it's good for now.

No light primer hits, all the brass showed solid, deep firing pin impacts.

The Geco FMJ rounds show very little to no bullet pull, which is good for practice ammo.
    I'm still looking for some HST or Ranger 147gr. JHP to try out, but for now the standard pressure 124gr. Gold Dots are fine.

I'm feeling better about the LCR.
    After another couple hundred trouble free rounds I'll probably start tossing it in my pocket regularly.

9mm is considerably more "frisky" out of a J frame than .38 +P.
    I'm going to have to work on getting a much better grip out of the pocket than I'm used to with the 442.
    You can't get sloppy on the grip with 9mm or .357 if you want fast followup shots out of these little revolvers.
    Last edited by JodyH; 03-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.

User Tag List