Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shot Season 3

Top Shot Season 3

Who's watching? The episode last night with the AKs and M&P45 looked fun. Both episodes so far have featured tactical/assault type rifles now (OBR and AK) so I'm glad they are not afraid to show the "cool" toys. I expect some more western/classicfirearms to show up soon - and those can be fun too, no complaints.

And yes, it's silly and drama-filled, but if anyone else has a show that features (semi-) normal folks running around with all manner of firearms and not being painted as terrorists for it, let me know. This thread isn't really about how much you hate the show and think it's stupid - let's start a separate thread of that.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Banned
    I really, really wish they would change the format with the voting and the drama and stuff.

With that said, the challenges have gotten pretty good. Whoever thought of the rotating lightbulb thing from last night is a genius. I also like that they're shooting some pretty cool stuff so far.

Though, they did show on the season preview a guy throwing rocks. At tin cans. On a fence post. Hopefully the "expert" for that challenge is an 8th grader from Missouri who was forced to get good at rock throwing because his parents refuse to buy him an Xbox and insist that he plays outside.

All the drama stuff aside, I'm glad to see the steady improvement of hardware being used. Wasn't there one of those generic Sig clones in Season 1? Last season was improved and now they've already had the Larue OBR and M&P .45. I hate to think of "average" people going out and buying crap guns because they saw it on Top Shot and think it's cool.
    I'm assuming this means they've gotten a more savvy technical guy (or whoever it is that decides that kind of stuff), a bigger budgetand / or significant sponsorship from the gun mfr.'s. All those Larues couldn't be cheap.

We are certainly watching it. The wife loves the unique challenges they come up with. She is kind of pissed that the ladies don't seem to fare well. Neither of us like the "voting" and back stabbing, I understand that every one at some point needs to watch out for themselves, but it should be skill / results based.
    Taking a break from social media.

I do watch it, but I DVR it so I don't have to watch the non-shooting stuff.

Hate the voting - gives all the power to the meat heads who can bully their team mates into voting the way they want. Would like to see more women on the show and have the challenges based on shooting and not athletics - afterall, it isn't called Top Tri-athlete.

I think there is validity to the athletic portions because it makes people have to shoot while out of breath, etc. This tests more than stand-and-deliver skills, as it should. You might be an awesome shot, but if you can't run a few yards before making the shot, you shouldn't be in the running for the title.

So far, both eliminations have been sound. In my opinion, the female contingent this season wasn't near the level it was last season, or even Season 1. I'm sorry, but if you are going to tout your SWAT credentials, you should be able to shoot a pistol better than that (episode 2 elimination).

My wife and I have been watching it again this year.
    She shoots infrequently, but likes the show.
    We all got a kick out of the Thompson challenge last season.

I could do without the drama but the shooting challenges/games are interesting to see.
    It's interesting to me that shooting mistakes, or gun handling errors often determine who wins.

The kids & I watch religiously. My wife not so much. My Daughter is PISSED the females have not had a good showing. Like everyone else we watched in amazement when the young kid with "little experience" devastated the "Seasoned SWAT Supervisor". Although I have read elsewhere this morning that kid may have more training than he's letting on. His whole demeanor, stance and moves on the firing line screamed more experience to me. Just look at how smooth his reloads were compared to hers. Combine this with the fact that a lot of police department's acceptable combat accuracy is the size of an FBI Bobber target and they were shooting at 3 inch light bulbs just may explain it. Love the challenges and lets face it the drama brings the non shooting public to the couch to watch and get a favorable impression of our advocation/addiction.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I just started watching the first episode on Hulu. I'm pretty sure Dustin is one of the students I instructed when I took Paul Howe's Tactical Pistol Instructor course last year.
    How cool is that? He better win!

I watch it after it's been DVR'd. I'm rooting for Cliff Walsh...hope he wins. Met him a couple years ago @ the Carolina Cup. Nice, laid back type of guy...and he's one of the few to beat JM. The guy that's the 'leader' of the blue team would get on my nerves. The SWAT Supervisor did the right thing when she shot his target.

Dustin did look a bit more versed with the M&P and was smoother.

User Tag List