Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shot Season 3

I think I got a free Corona out of the deal, but my memory is a little hazy.

Gentlemen,

Like most everyone I too take people wearing a uniform or even insignia that is not theirs very seriously. Major party foul.

However, I have a problem with this T-shirt issue. or rather a theory. In the aforementioned video, the trident symbol is controversial here, but the whole T shirt is-

Afghanistan
    [something] 2005 (I think)
    [the trident insignia]
    OPERATION REDWING

You can read about Operation Redwing here, and you should check out Marcus Luttrell's amazing book about it here.

Actually, if you haven't read Luttrell's book, you are wrong, and should stop reading on the internet immediately and make that happen.

My opinion is that this is not just a shirt with the SEAL emblem on it, but rather some sort of commemorative T-shirt for Operation Redwing, and all the massive loss of heroic life that occurred.

And that forms my theory for what is printed of the back of his T-shirt. While you never get a clear view in his video, from the side you can clearly see there is a lot of text on the back. I'd bet a fair amount of dollars its the names of the fallen.
    I searched the internet, and while I was not able to find this particular shirt, I did find several others. Many of them have the Seal emblem like this one. The proceeds from the sale of many of these go to military charities.

Since he doesn't nor has ever implied he is anyone he's not, and is wearing a commercially produced T-shirt almost surely made in memory of a hugely tragic event, I give him a pass. Does not seem like a huge deal to me.

What does piss me off is that jackass from Sons of Guns sometimes wearing ACUs on TV. Many, many people have died in that uniform, and still continue to. Way, WAY the fuck out of line.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Man if that is true, then I suppose he gets some sort of pass, but it still bothers me. I just think you shouldn't wear that emblem unless you earned it. Great book, great story about real heroes who did really amazing things in service to our country. There is nothing wrong with supporting the families of those who were involved, there just might be a better way to do so.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

It's like people constantly wearing FDNY stuff after 9/11. No one is meaning to imply they're an NYC fireman who was at the WTC, it's a sign of support, respect, and admiration.

So anyway, I slept on it, and I went to sleep not really thinking it was poor judgment on his part. I woke up feeling like he definitely 'chose poorly'. Even if I'm right about the shirt, it probably indeed was an odd choice for his little youtube video..
    I think I empathize with him because I could totally see myself making a similar faux pas, and not giving it a second thought.

The Sons of Guns guy still gets my goat.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The Sons of Guns guy still gets my goat.
    We can agree on this.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

It just got epic.

Available on Next level Training's webstore are these Jake Zweig targets... a contestant on Top Shot Season 3, Jake was a prime target for the other competitors and CEO of NextLevel Training, Mike Hughes, has provided Jake fans (and Jake haters) the opportunity to have more effective training. Thick card stock stock water resistant targets. Available in 10, 20 and 40 packs.

I commend Mike for having the patience to wait this long to release these. But, I'm pretty sure this is going to open the door for all manner of "customized" targets. I'm putting $10 aside for the day when someone prints Snooki targets.

Name:  Jake-promo-shooting-small-193x300.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  12.8 KB

Sorry

While somewhat understandable, in my mind this is in poor taste and my opinion of Mike just dropped a bit.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Sorry

While somewhat understandable, in my mind this is in poor taste and my opinion of Mike just dropped a bit.
    Oh c'mon... shit is hilarious. Jake was obviously in on it as he posed for the pictures. Classic... and great foresight by Mike!
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Oh c'mon... shit is hilarious. Jake was obviously in on it as he posed for the pictures. Classic... and great foresight by Mike!
    Yeah, Mike is a lawyer, and he would know he would not be able to use Jake's likeness without his permission. I wonder if Jake gets royalties.

Well, Mike might also know what the fines and damages are and may have decided they are worth it.
    Or, he could be hoping everyone involved realizes its a good PR stunt and lets it ride.
    • Mike get notoriety for being clever, but vindictive. Supporters rally behind him.
    • Jake gets notoriety for being a fierce competitor, but victimized. Supporters rally behind him.
    • Top Shot and History channel gets a bump because it gives us something to talk about. The feud itself, plus the controversy over whether these targets are right or wrong all generate discussion about the show. Top Shot gets more viewers.

People watch NASCAR for the wrecks, folks.

User Tag List