Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P228 keep or move it along been in the Safe for 2 years

P228 keep or move it along been in the Safe for 2 years

I kept one P228 after my SIG fetish Because I liked it and was issued one for awhile. I was looking at what I am carrying now and A Glock 19/23 and if not that a P30. 2 years I was P30/P2000sk (lem) and now went back to Glock 19/23 this year. Now the secret fun gun I have been shooting just 1000-1200 rounds stoppage free a Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm, and its a laser, I am shooting it well. I really hate saying this but It made me like Kimber.

I have not shot the P228 in over 2 years now and the only reason why I keep it around is pre ban mags. I have a few. After getting a custom 1911 commander built, and the Aegis I am wondering do I need it?

I shoot my Beretta Elite II the best (thank you US Army training) and P30, Glock 19, and vp9 equally well. Closely followed by my Beretta Vertec and 40cal P229 SAS genII (carry gun during sig days) Ironically the gun I shot the worse in the past 3 years was the P228. I take that back khar pm45. But i shoot a my wife khar K40 better than the P228.

I really like the option in preban states but most states with mag bans I rock my p2000sk if I can have it.

What are your opnions, keep, sale, trade, and please let me know why.

Ffh

If you're not a collector or it isn't doing anything special for you, sell it and invest the money in something usefull. If you think you may regret it enough to buy a replacement in the future, hang onto it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

If it's not pulling its weight, sell it & move on.

Use the proceeds to buy ammo.

I like ammo.....ammo its what guns crave.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I always ask myself these two questions:

1) What would I do with the money?

2) Would I enjoy that more than what I currently have?

The answer is generally 1) I don't know and 2) Probably not. I don't sell many guns.

FWIW, when I retired I was allowed to purchase my issued P228. Since I had been carrying a G19 since being issued the P228, it was like-new.

I had it because when the agency got new guns, five or so years after our initial "buy" of P220s and P228s, Sig had made a few small changes to the P220 frame that I didn't like, plus the 8 round magazines were giving problems. So when I turned in the issue P220, I drew a P228, shot it once for qual, and stuck it in the closet.

Point here being, after the pistol became mine, I promptly sold it, using the logic stated above (if you're not using it, etc., dump it for something else). I regret that action, and wish I had it back... partly for nostalgic reasons, and partly because it is somewhat of a curio these days. I still wouldn't carry it (because the G19 is still a better concealed carry piece, size and weight-wise), but I'd like to have it in the safe for hard times, as its a known quality.

Site Supporter
    You seem to rotate through guns more than most people.

The list of quality guns worth rotating through is getting smaller and smaller.

I would suggest keeping it in the safe, if for no other reason than to save yourself a little money when you buy something just like it in 2 or 3 years.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I always ask myself these two questions:

1) What would I do with the money?

2) Would I enjoy that more than what I currently have?

The answer is generally 1) I don't know and 2) Probably not. I don't sell many guns.
    Ditto... I don't buy many guns either, for very much the same reasons

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm very much a collector. Maybe accumulator is a right word since except for a few Colt revolvers nothing in my collection is particularly special or rare. For me, having a collection is easily as fun as shooting.

If you're not the same way, and your real joy is in shooting, get rid of it.

If you enjoy having it around, you don't need to justify it to anyone.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The P228 is a classic of the Sig "Classic" line. I wish I had one, might even carry it at work (just to rub our DAK-issuing agency's nose in it a little). If you really don't have a need for it, there's a market, either to sell or trade, and you should drop me a PM if that's the case!

User Tag List