Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Knife assault

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    There's not a gun solution to an entangled knife attack.
    You are very correct and I was not trying to insinuate that the mere presence of a gun would have changed the end result.

No idea how the 2 became entangled so we have no clue if there was time and distance prior to entering the room where the victim could have brought their own weapon into play. There is a brief span there where the victim is able to grab a broom or something and try to fight. Would being able to access a more effective weapon instead of a broom resulted in a better outcome? Don't know, but I'm of the opinion that a gun would have been more useful than a broom; even if wildly fired in random directions (not at yourself though).

Video's like this really hit home just how unprepared most of us are. I lump myself into that category since its been a long time since my last fight. Definitely reinforces the whole figure out a way to budget some training problem.

No one has ever got out of an entangled knife attack with a gun? (I am not implying every person with a CCW and a SCCY 9mm is impervious to losing). If good leverage is used to open up the avenue to the gun does that count?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    No one has ever got out of an entangled knife attack with a gun? (I am not implying every person with a CCW and a SCCY 9mm is impervious to losing). If good leverage is used to open up the avenue to the gun does that count?
    Anything can work or fail on a given day, true...but the higher percentage option for accessing your own pistol and not taking significant damage from the knife wounds is stabilizing the entanglement and getting out BEFORE you draw the gun. We have guys in ECQC evos who manage to get a gun out but lose position/mobility against the knifer and sit there and trade. And trading sucks in this game.

The highest percentage motor skill for getting a gun out one handed WHILE controlling a blade is the split seatbelt and that requires complete commitment and forward drive to pull off. It's doable...but not anything you're going to pull off without prior training. I can usually get at least half the class pulling it off reliably under REAL pressure within the weekend. And it changes again when shit goes horizontal.

Anything can work or fail on a given day, true...but the higher percentage option for accessing your own pistol and not taking significant damage from the knife wounds is stabilizing the entanglement and getting out BEFORE you draw the gun. We have guys in ECQC evos who manage to get a gun out but lose position/mobility against the knifer and sit there and trade. And trading sucks in this game.

The highest percentage motor skill for getting a gun out one handed WHILE controlling a blade is the split seatbelt and that requires complete commitment and forward drive to pull off. It's doable...but not anything you're going to pull off without prior training. I can usually get at least half the class pulling it off reliably under REAL pressure within the weekend. And it changes again when shit goes horizontal.
    ROGER! Did said victim here ever get close to stabilizing?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ROGER! Did said victim here ever get close to stabilizing?
    No. He actually does pretty well at keeping his hands on the knife but ultimately he doesn't have the posture to stabilize the position. He's bending not squatting and that's why he's falling forward so much.

No. He actually does pretty well at keeping his hands on the knife but ultimately he doesn't have the posture to stabilize the position. He's bending not squatting and that's why he's falling forward so much.
    Yes it seemed instinct attracted him to "hold" the knife hand; the rest was waiting to see if it would just "end", and reacting and reacting and reacting.

Exactly!

For some reason I'm having a flash-back to the "I'd just..." thread at TPI. I was reading commentary elsewhere ref this same video.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

This video further brings into question my choice of shoes in the workplace. The victim had zero traction, which didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    This video further brings into question my choice of shoes in the workplace. The victim had zero traction, which didn't help.
    You'd be surprised at how slick work surfaces and your shoes become especially at restaurants and such get during the day. I've worked a number of restaurants and most end up being skating rinks by the end of the day. Constant little spills, grease and all add up quick on both he floor and your shoes. I NEVER wore anything but good shoes that under normal conditions had great traction, but I'd still be skating at the end of shift. Walking not an issue, walking quickly doable. Running, changing directions or fighting not so much. I am honestly surprised more people aren't injured in kitchens and restaurant back areas.

User Tag List