Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife assault

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    So what is an appropriate COA here? Whizzer the knife arm and start with eye gouges? I can't tell if there is an escape route except through the door.
    The problem with that is it is really hard to stop the knife motion with a whizzer. Once you overwrap, you cannot pin his arm so tightly that he is unable to articulate his lower arm and wrist. Generally, the attacker has the ability to keep pumping that knife into your body. And now, depending on how you do the whizzer, he may now have a direct pipeline with the blade into your kidneys. Or worse, do the insert and pull technique.

Also, he still has his other hand free to block/intercept your eye gouges. He is not going to just let you do that and will most likely use his hand offensively as well. Perhaps even try to eye gouge the good guy.

There is no one perfect answer to what to do, contrary to the typical martial artist or combatives instructor's advice. There are a couple of decent strategies to try, but they must be worked in a FoF/sparring situation under heavy pressure to find out what is going to be the best bet in the moment.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I've seen a lot of knife material sold over the years in which students do not get this kind of pressure, and therefore believe that their technique which works at 25% speed will also work at 100% speed.
    Great video, and this is a point a lot of "martial artists" never have sink in completely. There's so much utter BS out there that looks really cool in slow motion, but just flat won't work full blast.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    So what is an appropriate COA here? Whizzer the knife arm and start with eye gouges? I can't tell if there is an escape route except through the door.
    I like and teach a 2 on 1 into one of four options:

escape
    effective striking
    weapons access
    pinning

I teach two different two-on-ones: the split seatbelt and the baseball bat both of which can be seen around 1:34 in this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5stC-SBF0

The 2 on 1 plus dominant position is what gives one the ability to pull all four options.

Craig, is that bit from ECQC or EWO?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Both are EWO classes, one in Portland and one in Sacramento.

I don't cover any knife defense or use in ECQC but I do let guys plug their trainers into the evolutions in ECQC.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Both are EWO classes, one in Portland and one in Sacramento.

I don't cover any knife defense or use in ECQC but I do let guys plug their trainers into the evolutions in ECQC.
    I thought that was the case.

I needs me some training.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I thought that was the case.

Dude you've had an open invite for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Dude you've had an open invite for a while...
    I know!

Hoping that PA class of mine is a go. Thinking about trying to get to that EWO class Spencer posted, and this video just emphasizes to me that I haven't done any knife work since Mike Inay passed away, but I have to see an ortho ref my right knee next week, I suspect I'm going to have to get some work done.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    We will be doing some grounded knife work in MO in May..............

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Link isn't working anymore, at least for me. Anyone have another reference?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List