Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I

Any good references on this ?
    I'm interested as well.

I've definitely never hiked with 45 lbs and don't imagine I could keep that pace.

I'm interested in what kind of training regimen gets you to that level of fitness.

I'm a regular old civilian with a desk job and I'd like to challenge myself to perform to higher standards.

I have not done an internet search yet (on my way out), but I will see what I can find.

SF has a basic rucking program that recruiters will give anyone interested, afaik. Probably on line as well. Q course rucking prep, will probably turn up a lot.

I simply add progressively longer, heavier rucks to my existing PT. Works well for me. Never more than 14 miles or so, in training. As a point of reference, I Crossfit 4 or 5 times a week, and am 150# 5'6". I run a 8 min mile pace under perfect conditions, for 5-10 miles. I used to run a little faster, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm interested as well.

I've definitely never hiked with 45 lbs and don't imagine I could keep that pace.

I'm interested in what kind of training regimen gets you to that level of fitness.

I'm a regular old civilian with a desk job and I'd like to challenge myself to perform to higher standards.
    I'm interested as well, as I've never heard of tabbing.

The pace described is a standard pace for a formation to move at in the USMC, at least. For some reason, I remember our actual pace to be at 4.5mph with a 10 minute break every 3 miles to refill canteens or fight...so it worked out to roughly 3mph all said and done. Being in shape is obviously a requisuite, but it isn't a crazy thing to attain. Start at 3 miles, progressively add terrain and/or distance. Have a rabbit or time limit that you need to keep pace with, not just a time log of how long it took you. Progressively add weight, as well...don't start off at 45lbs. Don't use over 45lbs of weight for conditioning either, as that's the point where the risk starts to outweigh the benefits.

When I finished college in Vermont with a Marine ROTC program, the conditioning hikes I did in the USMC at described pace were pretty cake in comparison (conditioning hikes, not actual hikes in field exercises with 100lbs...that fucking sucked balls). That's coming from someone who was at the low end for an officer's physical fitness with a 21-23min 3mile run time. Even after a 1.5 year recovery from an injury with a 27 min 3 mile run time, I still didn't have trouble on the hikes though they were definitely physically harder than before.

Maybe my body learned "tabbing" on its own just from doing it a lot a Vermont, I don't know.....but it's definitely technique dependent, as there were guys in way better shape than me having just as much or more trouble. I just remember opening up my step.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

No idea if this is official or not, but it lays out a conservative training program that I'm sure works well. I never ruck more than twice a week in training.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGIMPODuAvM

This was interesting
    http://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstit...-loaded-march/

Small discussion on technique here.
    http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=69916.0

I will also add, POSE running is tremendously helpful.. Google will turn up a lot. I can "Tab" for a while, and with a certain amount of weight. Over about 45#'s though, I revert to POSE walking. I don't know if POSE walking exists, I just made it up, but I find it works well and has kept me injury free. Without it, I would never be able to run more than a few miles.

Fantastic thread. Thanks to OP for contributing it. I'd like to see pics of you in your kit, pics of you in action during the event and hear how it comes out.

There is a biathlon event in northern IN, I think on a monthly basis, we've been thinking about - I just despise driving through Chicago. I'd rather drive to OK. I don't think you are required to pack all the gear, though. Maybe a slightly different take?

Good luck and happy shooting,
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Hey boys... found this thread through an internet search and decided to join in, hope you don't mind the company. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm entered in the Pawnee Run n Gun as well and thought I'd add my $.02.

littlejerry, it's cool to read through this thread and see the progression in your training, gear and weapons. Also nice to know I'm not the only idiot out there training and suffering in the hot weather. My training started in March when I found out about this event. I'm a '72 model so getting back in shape wasn't easy as it was 20 years ago. My workouts have been similar to yours except I live on a little land so I have the luxury of carring my guns on all runs.

Last Saturday I ran a total of 6.3 miles with full gear (20#) but I broke it up similar to the actual event. I ran roughly 2.3 miles, shot pistol (3 min); approx. 1 mile and shot a VTAC board (9 min); another 1 mile and shot the VTAC again (9 min); another 1 mile and shot kneeling at 175 yards (9 min) and then ran the final mile. Total run time was approx. 75 minutes and total time at the 4 shooting stages was approx. 30 minutes. The shooting stages allowed me to get my legs back under me which is what made the run time better than it should have been plus my pasture is relatively flat so that also helped with the time. My goal at the event will be 15 min/mile. This Saturday I plan to do it again and reduce the time at the shooting stages, then I'll start tapering down to race day.

If you look at the results from previous years, a 13 minute mile average wins it and that's by a pretty wide margin. To put that in perspective, the same guy that won Pawnee 2 years ago placed 2nd at the big one in Pecos so he's a pretty legit competitor. A 15-17 minute average will have you in the top 10 easy. Also, you have to consider there are two types of competitors, those that are viewing it as a tactical exercise (plate carriers, large 2-3 day packs, protective clothing, boots, etc) and those that are in the minimalist group (shorts, tank tops, small packs, usually carry mags in their pockets, trail shoes, etc.). The latter group is set up to make the run portion as easy as possible because that's the most challenging but yet they still have to shoot good. Stereotypically, the larger guys who can't run fast anyway are the ones who show up in full kit.

Best of luck to you bud and feel free to ask me any questions. I've only done one of these (6 weeks ago) but I've got some buddies that have a lot of experience so maybe I can help with your last minute preparations.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Hey boys... found this thread through an internet search and decided to join in, hope you don't mind the company. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm entered in the Pawnee Run n Gun as well and thought I'd add my $.02.

littlejerry, it's cool to read through this thread and see the progression in your training, gear and weapons. Also nice to know I'm not the only idiot out there training and suffering in the hot weather. My training started in March when I found out about this event. I'm a '72 model so getting back in shape wasn't easy as it was 20 years ago. My workouts have been similar to yours except I live on a little land so I have the luxury of carring my guns on all runs.

Last Saturday I ran a total of 6.3 miles with full gear (20#) but I broke it up similar to the actual event. I ran roughly 2.3 miles, shot pistol (3 min); approx. 1 mile and shot a VTAC board (9 min); another 1 mile and shot the VTAC again (9 min); another 1 mile and shot kneeling at 175 yards (9 min) and then ran the final mile. Total run time was approx. 75 minutes and total time at the 4 shooting stages was approx. 30 minutes. The shooting stages allowed me to get my legs back under me which is what made the run time better than it should have been plus my pasture is relatively flat so that also helped with the time. My goal at the event will be 15 min/mile. This Saturday I plan to do it again and reduce the time at the shooting stages, then I'll start tapering down to race day.

If you look at the results from previous years, a 13 minute mile average wins it and that's by a pretty wide margin. To put that in perspective, the same guy that won Pawnee 2 years ago placed 2nd at the big one in Pecos so he's a pretty legit competitor. A 15-17 minute average will have you in the top 10 easy. Also, you have to consider there are two types of competitors, those that are viewing it as a tactical exercise (plate carriers, large 2-3 day packs, protective clothing, boots, etc) and those that are in the minimalist group (shorts, tank tops, small packs, usually carry mags in their pockets, trail shoes, etc.). The latter group is set up to make the run portion as easy as possible because that's the most challenging but yet they still have to shoot good. Stereotypically, the larger guys who can't run fast anyway are the ones who show up in full kit.

Best of luck to you bud and feel free to ask me any questions. I've only done one of these (6 weeks ago) but I've got some buddies that have a lot of experience so maybe I can help with your last minute preparations.
    Wow, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how much ammo will you carry?

It sounds like you've got a great place to train for this. I'm envious! I've had to train for running and shooting separately, although I don't think its much of a problem. I've been able to do sprints at an outdoor range to get my heart rate up.

SLG thoroughly freaked me out on my physical abilities. I adjusted my schedule this week to do another weighted run. I did a 3 mile run on mountain bike trails with 25 lbs. I ran the downhills and flats, but walked the uphills. I averaged a 15 min pace.

I avoided the rock gardens and really hazardous stuff but its still a mountain bike trail; lots of hills, tight corners, and of course I had to step off and let bikes pass probably 8-10 times. I could try running on some forestry roads up north this weekend if I have time. Might give me a more comfortable time to the mil standards.

I'm excited to do the run, although I'm feeling nerves kick in already. I feel a little under gunned without optics and I'm paranoid I won't have enough ammo.

The last thing for me to do is reserve hotels. I'm trying to figure out how far I'll drive in the afternoon/evening after the race.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 07-08-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Wow, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how much ammo will you carry?
    Probably 4 M4 and 5 pistol mags. Thats subject to change, I need to check with a buddy that ran it last year.

So where are you coming from and how long of a drive is it?

User Tag List