Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Like any shooting game you need to know how it's scored. 175 rounds could add up to minutes of penalty time.

How will you restock your four clips accessible clips after shooting? Again, that's time that adds up.
    I'm basing this off of the stage descriptions of the previous events:
    Most stages have a max time limit; engage all targets within x minutes or DQ/ zero out the stage.
    There event score is an equal weight of running and shooting scores.
    The shooting score has a ceiling; I.e. there is a 100% score multiple people can obtain.
    The running score has no floor. Fastest time sets the 100% mark and everyone is scored relative.

If I or someone else crushes the running we'll have a big advantage. If you shoot 100% I think its likely many other people will as well, and then it comes down to your run time.

There is some downtime before and after stages. When you arrive at a stage they start a timer for your downtime while you get briefed or wait on another shooter. This time is recorded and doesn't count against you. There is time after a stage to debrief, get scored, collect mags, etc. Not a lot of time but enough to shift ammo from a readily accessible pouch on a backpack to a pouch on your belt.

Is this a variant of the Keneyathalon?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is this a variant of the Keneyathalon?
    Dont know. Not familiar with the Kenyathalon.

It is the Oklahoma Run N Gun.

As said previously. There are many options but a few things I've learned over the last 23 years and having had to run pretty good clips with LBE, rifle, pack etc.

Keep things off of your hips. Drop legs, first line padded belts, etc. They suck, they will chafe the hell out of you and you will hate yourself.

Kit on the front of your body can interfere with prone if you go with a plate, double stack mag carrier, radio etc. This doesn't sound like you. I prefere a single layer of stuff this days and just go all round to the back with it. Like others have said, you will have to try it out.

With a Garand, no experience so I won't offer any advice. But, I've done some running with a M14 like this and you will end up carrying it in one hand at the balance point. more often then not. So, if you want to use a shooting sling (ching sling) go for it. I don't think it will be much help on the movement.

I agree with the example of Best Ranger. I eventually ended up settling on this with things around my sternum level. Just need to keep bulky stuff off the sides or you'll walk around like you have ILS (Imanginary Lat Syndrome).

Good luck, sounds fun.

Some updates:

The official Summer 2015 stage descriptions are up. Minimum round count + my conservative margin has me at 12+ enbloc clips and 5 glock 17 mags.

The month of March got away from me due to business travel. I just started running with weight this past week. This includes trail runs with a HPG Tara pack loaded with bricks and/or a 45 inch PVC pipe filled with concrete.

Running with the bricks SUCKS. One good uphill section kills my pace for the rest of the run. I'm having to get better at throttling back so I don't burn out fast. I'm also experimenting with how I pack the bricks. If they sit too low they pinch my lower back and bounce too much during the run.

Carrying the pipe isn't as bad as I thought it would be. GJM was spot on- carry it with one hand near the balance point. It doesn't slow me down much.

So far I've maxed out at 3.5 miles with weight. I'm working to increase my overall weekly mileage up to 25-30 miles before July. That should give me the endurance boost I need for a 6 mile run with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Some updates:

The official Summer 2015 stage descriptions are up. Minimum round count + my conservative margin has me at 12+ enbloc clips and 5 glock 17 mags.

The month of March got away from me due to business travel. I just started running with weight this past week. This includes trail runs with a HPG Tara pack loaded with bricks and/or a 45 inch PVC pipe filled with concrete.

Running with the bricks SUCKS. One good uphill section kills my pace for the rest of the run. I'm having to get better at throttling back so I don't burn out fast. I'm also experimenting with how I pack the bricks. If they sit too low they pinch my lower back and bounce too much during the run.

Carrying the pipe isn't as bad as I thought it would be. GJM was spot on- carry it with one hand near the balance point. It doesn't slow me down much.

So far I've maxed out at 3.5 miles with weight. I'm working to increase my overall weekly mileage up to 25-30 miles before July. That should give me the endurance boost I need for a 6 mile run with weight.
    Take it real easy with those bricks. You can hurt yourself pretty badly unless you build yourself up slowly. You also might find that sandbags are softer and less likely to slam into your kidneys.

By the way, I agree with those who say that you want to experiment with gear until you find something that doesn't bang around too much. As for your rifle, I agree that carrying your rifle in your arms most of the way has a lot going for it--but I've run with an M-14 for multiple miles and by the end my arms were usually shaking--not good if you want to shoot--and an M1 is heavier. I think it is critical to find a useful sling for it (I'd also reconsider the M1 idea for this race. Running with a lightweight AR won't be easy--but it will be a lot easier).

Good luck. You're going to be sore as heck by the end of this--but if you complete it you'll be trying to decide what to run next.

In terms of getting ready for backpack sheep and goat hunts, I have gone back and forth as to whether or not to train with weight.

Weight helps you adapt to, well weight, but I think it is harder on me and my joints. Recently, I have chosen to just train wearing my boots, but without much weight or only using weight intermittently.

Using that approach, my experience is that day one my back feels stiff and hurts on a backpack hunt, but by two and after is fine.

(As to packing really heavy loads, like when moose hunting, it just plain hurts regardless of what I do.)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Right now I'm doing a weighted run 1 day a week(this doesn't include running with the pipe).

I've realized my road runs have been relatively flat so I need to incorporate some hills and weight.

Regarding gear I'm still experimenting. Running with the backpack sucks.

I'm leaning toward carrying 2 bandoleers(12 clips) on my shoulders and the comp belt with suspenders. The belt will have pistol + mags and 2 enbloc clips.

I saw some cool water 10oz water bottles which clip onto a 1.5-2.0 inch belt. I may try getting 2 of those.

Good idea on sandbags. I'll have to try that.

Check out goruck's web site for some ideas on strapping bricks or whatever in your ruck. You don't have to buy from them, but they have good ideas. And I'll second the warning about training under weight at distance. If you're getting ready for selection, sacrifice your body... But if you want to be doing this into doddering old age, listen to the oldsters who advise prudence. I wouldn't say you're overdoing it now, just be a little paranoid about stepping it up.... Good luck and keep us informed!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

This is why I have lots if 20-something nephews - so they can haul all the heavy stuff

User Tag List