Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Site Supporter
    My first run and gun is in the books. It would have been worth it just to meet @FOG, Mrs. FOG, and @littlejerry. Great people!

First, I had a great time, and there were some awesome people there. Also some ... interesting ... people there.

I learned a lot about my fitness, gear, shooting ability, and mindset.

Analyzing the data:
    I knew this before I saw the scores but my run was good, my handgun only shooting was good, and my rifle shooting sucked. This matched the priorities I made personally to prepare for the match, but I could have spent a lot more time on distance rifle shooting to help my score (and maybe an LPV). I had the 3rd overall run time even with a wrong turn. The single handgun only stage (not including the cave, which I had other issues with beyond shooting) I placed 1st (pistol-forum represent!). Besides those two I was somewhere between 20th and 34th for the other 6 stages.

So, overall I'm very happy to have placed 15th out of 70. However, I drew a great run time and had about perfect wait times, long enough to catch my breath, not so long as to tighten up. My fitness level and pistol shooting has been a focus of mine for some time so I'm encouraged to see that pay off. I can't wait to do another one but the Pawnee RNG is on my wife's birthday so that won't fly. These competitions really have re-energized my training plan that gets stagnant without competition because that's my personality. Having the second place runner behind me and catching up at wait times to talk smack really kept me in it.

Big thanks to FOG, Mrs. FOG, and littlejerry for including me in these relationships they had already built. And their advice and gear suggestions. I would have been out of ammo early and even more lost without them.

BEFORE:Name:  28551.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  49.3 KB

AFTER:Name:  IMG_20180318_114217.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  56.3 KB

Note that the pistol-forum.com t-shirt ONLY helps with handgun shooting. Maybe I can get pistol-forum and rifle-forum on there next time...
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 03-19-2018 at 08:48 AM.

It was awesome meeting rjohnson4405 at the race! I'm glad more people are trying biathlons as the sport seems to be growing. As always it was great seeing Mr. and Mrs. FOG - they are great people that I wish I could see more often.

This was my first time at Rockcastle. They have a great facility with some really cool topography. The lodge was... nice enough. Not what I was expecting based on the photos online, but it wasn't the nastiest place I've ever been in either.

I was a little disappointed in my performance this time around. I've really been slacking off on pistol shooting over the past ~12 months and its starting to show. None of my pistol stages were particularly strong. In general I placed well on the rifle stages, both short and long range. Maybe next time I'll wear some PF gear to improve my pistol performance...

My run was a mixed bag. I finished 11 minutes behind FOG and a crazy 25 minutes behind rjohnson. When I was done I felt like I still had gas in the tank - way too much. It felt like I hadn't pushed myself hard enough during the run. There was also one part where I took a wrong turn - I was shifting mags around and completely missed a RNG sign directing me to turn left. I turned right and ran down a hill before I noticed the lack of paint/tape indicating the direction. I checked my GPS saw that it added 1:45, so not too terrible but still frustrating. All of my previous training had been for the Pawnee 15 mile run so my pace was just flat out wrong for this distance. Add in the fact that I've done almost zero distance running since the January race and I guess I shouldn't be surprised here.

Despite my slow run and mediocre pistol shooting I managed to place 10th overall. I was a little surprised by this - I thought surely I'd be in the 15-20 range.

My plan for next year(or season if they do a Fall run...) is to go for the full weekend so I can run the 5k and 10k. I'll actually plan on training for those distances this time and see if I can knock 10-15 minutes off that run time.

I'm also considering going back to basics for one of my upcomming runs and using my 20" Colt A2. As configured my 16" carbine weighs ~2 lbs more due to the optic and barrel profile. I really enjoy shooting irons in general and I think it would be fun to run the old-school rifle.

I'm really looking forward to the Riverbend 5k Run n Gun in North Georgia in 2 weeks, then the Pawnee 5/10/15k in July. I have to juggle some other travel for July but fingers crossed I'll be there.

Is there a list/calendar anywhere for these Run N Gun events? I'd like to give one a try. North Georgia wouldn't be too bad of a drive for me, but I hadn't heard of that event until the post above.

Great weekend, it was fun visiting and hanging with LJ and RJ, cool guys for sure. You guys did great! Arrived back in Oklahoma this afternoon, gonna take a few days off then get back after it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Is there a list/calendar anywhere for these Run N Gun events? I'd like to give one a try. North Georgia wouldn't be too bad of a drive for me, but I hadn't heard of that event until the post above.
    No, most events pop up on Facebook or other forums.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    As FOG mentioned most of it is word of mouth.

I did find this website today while searching: https://texasrunandgun.org/calendar/

Not sure how comprehensive or well maintained it is

I cross posted this elsewhere, but here's my AAR of sorts from the River Bend Gun Club (RBGC) Run and Gun from this past weekend:

The 2018 River Bend Gun Club (RBGC) Run and Gun is over and it was a ton of fun. This was my first type of match like this, and it won’t be my last. The format is pretty much a 5K with guns and obstacles, so what’s not to like? I was fortunate enough to shoot well enough and run/walk fast enough to win 1st place.

The actual course was a 3.2 mile run around the hills and ranges of RBGC. Many thanks to the club and BoD for allowing us to do this! There were 5 stages and some obstacles thrown in to make it interesting along the way.

From the start at cowboy town, you ran down the hill and through the main entrance to MP2 for the first stage. After negotiating a rope obstacle (try not to get hung up!) you were greeted by RO’s who checked to make sure your rifle and pistol were clear and then explained the stage. Your pistol was placed in a box on the ground and your rifle inside the “helicopter” with you. On the beep, you loaded your pistol and engaged 8 steel plates, placed the pistol down and then loaded your rifle for 16 diamond steel plates at about 75 yards. All shooting was done inside the helicopter, remaining inside and not touching the ground outside. I shot the pistol from my knees, then engaged the rifle plates from a reverse kneeling position using the window as a brace. My scope was on about 2.5x, which allowed for enough magnification to place the circle of the reticle inside the plate, and still see targets easily to transition quickly. I had a couple extra shots on both pistol and rifle from trying to control breathing but finished the stage in 34.92 seconds. Once done, you cleared your rifle and pistol and took off to the next stage.

After MP2, you ran the main road to down by the creek, then ran along the creek and crossed it via some large boulders. With that done, you ran up-hill to the 600 yard line of the Hi-Power range where more RO’s were waiting. At that point, they cleared your guns again and gave the brief. Located at about 100, 300 and 600 yards were pieces of steel to be engaged with the rifle only. At the start signal, the 100 yard steel needed 3 hits, then you went prone to engage at 300 for 3 hits and finally 1 hit needed at 600. I shot at about the same 2.5x for the first two distances, where I had an extra shot or two standing and went for a very quick 3/3 at 300. The 600 I took I believe 5 shots to get a hit. I rushed the first shot, took a second good shot at a center hold, then bracketed left then right as I shot early and had no wind indicators.. and the nice muck absorbed my 5.56 rounds without any splash. I was at about 6x for this shot and made it holding about a half of a mil off the right edge. After I finished the RO said I missed left for my first couple shots. The lesson here when you can’t see, don’t keep holding the same shot! It just took me a couple shots until my rotation of bracketing got right. This took me 44.97 seconds to complete. Once again, they checked both pistol and rifle clear and off to Stage 3.

Stage 3 was a run down the hill from the Hi-Power range, then up the hill to the AP complex. This was a pistol only stage, which had 6 paper targets that needed 2x A zone hits to prevent a penalty. They were standing in a variety of positions and some had no-shoots in the way (which did incur penalties if hit). I ran this in 21.86 huffing and puffing, but had a clean run. After checking both guns were clear again, it was off to the longest running portion of about a mile and a half back to cowboy town. Along the way there was a low-crawl under some wires, and two A frames to go up and over on. The last 1/3 of this run was up the gradual hill from the main range area, then up the hill to cowboy town.

At cowboy town, Stage 4 was a blind stage that was pistol only. There was a door that had to be “breached” by kicking, pushing or ramming as you saw fit. Once through, there were 4 pistol targets outside the back of the shack that needed 2x A hits a piece. I ran this one in 12.74 from the unloaded and holstered start. From here, we ran down to the bottom of the hill for the last stage, which was rifle only. Here, you had an unloaded rifle start and then 5 targets from around a wall that needed either 2x A hits in the body, or 1x head shot a piece to neutralize. The targets were partially covered by “hard cover”, making for partial A zones. I opted to just go for head shots and fired 2 a piece more out of habit for an insurance shot each… which worked out to 14.11 seconds. After this you just had to run to the top of the hill to the finish line. The last 100 yards always seemed the toughest, but I ran it out as hard as I could. My total time with shooting, briefings, obstacles and all was 51 minutes and 11 seconds. Taking out shoot time my run time was 49 minutes and 2 seconds.

Post run with Bruce Perry the Match Director.

As I shot early, I didn’t have to wait on other shooters for any stages. If there was a backlog of shooters, you used a stopwatch to keep track of the wait time as directed by the Range Officers on the stage. This would then be taken off your run-time. On one hand, a few minutes might have been nice for some breathing time, but also having to wait would have been too much of a cool down to try to restart.

My run strategy since I’m not a regular was some running down-hill, jogging on the flat spots and speed walking on the up-hills. In practice it generally worked out that way, but I needed to do a few 20 yard or so walks in a few extra areas.

As you went along, you had to manage your ammo, mags and other kit. Every stage started unloaded, and there was no prep time at any stage other than the RO giving you the CoF. That meant trying to do some ammo management on the run and preparing before you got to the stage. My strategy here was a fresh mag for every stage (since stages were broadcast ahead of time), dumping partial mags into my bag and then loading my belt with the next stages worth of ammo as we went. I started with 2 pistol mags on the belt and one rifle mag since Stage 1 was both rifle and pistol. From there I dumped partial mags in my small sling bag and pulled out a fresh mag for the next stage as I came off the just completed stage. It worked well in that I had what I needed but didn’t have a ton on the belt while running. In review of rounds fired, I could have gotten by with one less mag each for rifle and pistol, but the weight penalty wasn’t too significant, and it gave me both insurance rounds and spare magazines should a mag get lost or suffer a severe malfunction.

One final note for matches with a variety of problems to solve... the key is consistency in doing most things well instead of having really good and really bad performances in different areas. In this case, I wasn’t the fastest runner, but I shot well enough to have a good blend that allowed me to finish 1st place.

I tried not to over-equip and carry too much gear, relying on making shots count and that I've got stuff that works. Here is my gear breakdown:

Rifle – AR-15 mutt gun that I’ve used for a variety of shooting games. At it’s heart is a 20” Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. It helps provide the weight and balance of a 16” barrel but allows for greater velocities and smoother operation than the shorter barrels. The rail is a BCM 15” which is light and slim, and everything else on the gun is fairly standard. Of importance to me is reliability and being well balanced, which this rifle is for me. The trigger is a Geissele Designated Marksman model tuned to my liking. A Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling did the trick for shooting and running.

Optic – Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 F1 with FC-DM reticle. A low power variable (LPV) scope is perfect for carbine shooting games with short and long shots due to the 1x magnification for close targets, up to 6-8x for longer shots. The durability and trust in my Nightforce is great when banging the scope around, low crawling with the rifle and more. The ATACR has ED glass, which offers a superb image that’s easy to use and stay behind. I had a solid 100 yard zero and knew my hold overs to 600 yards. While the ATACR is a lot of scope, good glass is a force multiplier that I’ll gladly drag along.

Pistol – Glock 17 Gen5. Simply, it works and it’s not too heavy. I’ve used Glocks for a long time and the newer Gen5s are a step up in my opinion. My holster of choice is the Safariland ALS holster, which offers retention while also being super fast on the draw.

Belt Kit – HSGI Slim Grip belt and pistol/rifle TACOs. I’ve been using this setup for a couple years now for a variety of things and I am super happy with it. The belt has a grippy rubber inside to keep it from sliding around but isn’t too thick and heavy. The TACOs are great as they can be used for nearly any rifle or pistol mag that I use. I cinched down the shock cords so that the mags wouldn’t come out even when hanging upside down.

Bag – I debated on this and found an old Kavu bag that I have which worked out to be perfect. This bag is a single strap bag, which I really liked. I didn’t have to take it off for anything but could slide it around to dump depleted mags and grab new ones, or negotiate obstacles. It wasn’t weighted down too heavily, so it didn’t really jostle around when running with the strap tight. I wanted to carry a little water, so I stuck in a bladder with a half-liter of water, and electrical taped the tube to the strap.

Notables on clothes – My pants were Kuhl Renegade Stealths which are a softshell material. I’ve used them for a variety of outdoor uses where it’ll be moist or wet out as they help repel water versus absorb it. Despite having to go through a little mud and water, they didn’t absorb any water at all. As for shoes, I used Salomon SpeedCross 4s which offered great traction throughout the course. With some Smartwool light wool socks I didn’t have any blister or hotspot problems with my feet.

Finally, RBGC was one of the places that I got started in competitive shooting, and it was great catching up with old friends that I hadn't seen in a while. Sorry if I didn’t get to meet up and talk to everyone. I’m already looking forward to the next one of these.

Site Supporter
    @NGCSUGrad09 - way to go man! Real impressive for your first one especially. No penalties is smart shooting and doing it with little to no wait time isn't the easiest way.

600 is more than I can currently do with my gear, but your setup makes a lot of sense. Much specific training ahead of time?

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    @NGCSUGrad09 - way to go man! Real impressive for your first one especially. No penalties is smart shooting and doing it with little to no wait time isn't the easiest way.

600 is more than I can currently do with my gear, but your setup makes a lot of sense. Much specific training ahead of time?
    I'll be honest and feel a little bad that I didn't do more prep.

I'm not much a natural runner (get bored to easily), but my cardio time is one a rowing machine so I didn't totally die...however my legs are feeling it today!

As for shooting, I've got a mix of USPSA, 2 Gun/3 Gun and Precision Rifle background so none of the shooting was worrisome. I did check zero on the rifle and pistol, verified my drop data on the rifle and ran a few drills just to reacquaint myself with the carbine. As for pistol aside from checking POI with the chosen ammo I did a few unloaded start drills and didn't sweat it.

My belt kit is something I've run for a couple years now and I'm very happy with it. The Kavu bag didn't enter the equation until a few days prior to the event as I forgot I had it, but with some dry practice at home I was feeling pretty confident with it.

For future events, physical prep is the biggest component for me to work on to be successful. The shooting isn't too complicated, it's just being methodical and efficient while getting good hits. The running, thinking ahead, ammo management and working through being tired and potentially wet/muddy are the things that make it complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    I'll be honest and feel a little bad that I didn't do more prep.

I'm not much a natural runner (get bored to easily), but my cardio time is one a rowing machine so I didn't totally die...however my legs are feeling it today!

As for shooting, I've got a mix of USPSA, 2 Gun/3 Gun and Precision Rifle background so none of the shooting was worrisome. I did check zero on the rifle and pistol, verified my drop data on the rifle and ran a few drills just to reacquaint myself with the carbine. As for pistol aside from checking POI with the chosen ammo I did a few unloaded start drills and didn't sweat it.

My belt kit is something I've run for a couple years now and I'm very happy with it. The Kavu bag didn't enter the equation until a few days prior to the event as I forgot I had it, but with some dry practice at home I was feeling pretty confident with it.

For future events, physical prep is the biggest component for me to work on to be successful. The shooting isn't too complicated, it's just being methodical and efficient while getting good hits. The running, thinking ahead, ammo management and working through being tired and potentially wet/muddy are the things that make it complicated.
    Good mindset and I agree on the challenge. You don't need a blazing fast GM level run on every(or really any) stage to place well. You need consistency and good pacing. It's an endurance event, not a sprint.

Great job on placing first. Sorry I was unable to meet you. This race went reasonably well for me. I focused a bit more on the running, somewhat to the detriment of my shooting(hitting a 600y target when your heart is pounding at 180bpm isn't easy!). My run time was better than usual and got me 8th overall.

Next RnG you're at I want to take a peak through your ATACR. I love my NXS 2.5-10, but it's not ideal for the short range stuff.

User Tag List