Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

I'm following another Mountain Tactical Institute program Monday through Friday, live-fire on Saturday and trail running on Sundays. My wife, daughter and I are doing a trail race next weekend. Weekend after that is a 2 gun match in Pawnee then it's on to Rockcastle. Waco RNG is in April and the inaugural Pawnee Night RNG is in May.

See y'all in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    inaugural Pawnee Night RNG is in May.
    You mean the “face full of fucking brown crab fatbutted spiders” run? NOPE!

Seriously tho, with that schedule... get sum, dude!
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    the inaugural Pawnee Night RNG is in May
    This needs more information.

I was behind on the training this week. Family and work kept me from getting out as much as I wanted to. I'm continuing to ruck with 20-30 lbs 2-3 days a week and runing distances 5-6 miles 2-3 days a week
    I've added weight to the runs and it's been going well.

I've settled on Saucony Peregrines for the run. I usually use Brook's Cascades but the Peregrines fit better and offered more support through the run. With the extra weight, extra support is something I think I'll need. I'm behind on the rifle shooting as well. I'm still debating whether to get a LPV or try it with irons. Pistol shooting is going well. Work gives me some overlap with that type of training.

The wife is training for an upcoming half-marathon and a triathlon. That with family and work duties don't leave as much time as I would like. The training is fun. Looking forward to the race.

I'm also finalizing the race load-out. I'm planning on the HPG Kit Bag and Tarahumara to carry everthing. I'm going to carry the following.

IFAK
    4 - 30 rd Rifle Mags
    4 - 17rd Pistol Mags
    Flashlight
    Stopwatch
    Rifle
    Pistol

I'll probably skip hydration during the race. Anyone see anything I may be missing or don't need? My goal is to go as minimalist as possible with the gear. Stay safe and keep up the training. I'll see everyone in a few weeks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PSBT4117 View Post

I'll probably skip hydration during the race. Anyone see anything I may be missing or don't need? ...
    Hearing protection? I'll probably just run muffs (usually double up) but they take a lot more room.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 02-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    I love seeing other people getting it done, probably the opposite of littlejerry, running will be my strength but that's not saying much.

Did some shooting yesterday, handgun and rifle. Lots of moving in and out of positions which I don't practice often. Takes me a long time after moving to settle my gun and get a shot off. Any shooting I do in the near future will now include at least 3 or 4 steps before shooting. Need to do some of this in dry fire too so ensure I come in with a solid stance as being off balance was an issue.

Tried some 50 yard shooting on an 8" circle steel with my handgun to test the specific target on a pistol stage where you can switch to your rifle. I'll be switching to my rifle, I was inconsistent with a handgun, not to mention if my heart rate is up and I'm fatigued. 25 yard seems to be totally fine (something I normally practice). In the future, probably need to do more at 50.

Gear seems to be working out, but my consistency is very much affected by what I'm wearing. Loose shirts get in the way of pistol and mags more than I'd like. I really need to get better at being consistent despite my clothing. More offset on my holster or mag pouches would probably help, but I like everything being in line for comfort and makes throwing a jacket on over this mess easy and concealable.

My 100 yard rifle zero is now a bit better on the dot, still need to do more with the irons, but it was eating into my practice time too much. I'll do that another day. 300 yards may be where I take the full 3 minute penalty, but it'll be nice to know my limitations and that of my current gear. If I really get into this (I kind of am already hooked), a LPV may be in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    This needs more information.
    It's produced by Cody Allenbaugh, accomplished 3 gunner and designer of alot the Pawnee RNG stages.

As I understand it, itll be a 5k course consisting of 2 loops on the west side of the property. To negate the safety hazard of running on the county road in the dark, the stages traditionally held on the east side will not be used.

Two matches, one night is NV only and the other is flashlights and WML only. If you google Pawnee Twilight RNG, you should find more info. The rules and scoring are different than traditional RNG's.

He's holding a 2 gun/3 gun match on March 10 out there. That evening, some of us are doing a run through to try and iron out any issues prior to the actual match.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Hold on to your butts, we're almost there.

Quick updates, I was in Denver a week ago, skiing 4.5 hours Thursday, 8 hours Friday, and then 3 hours of intense basketball Sunday with my buddy. So, I'm calling that high altitude training.

After all that fun, my left knee was a little sore so I lifted some throughout the week and didn't run until yesterday (Sunday). Farmers were out in the field so I opted to run without the rifle. Did 3 miles, in 28 min which was better and it definitely felt like I was having less trouble breathing. Will probably take it pretty easy until next Sunday, maybe do some treadmill runs that are easier on my knees just to be sure I'm ready.

Intended to get some shooting in but could not, hopefully with daylight savings I have a chance to get more shooting in this week before the event, maybe even the day before. When are you guys arriving, try and meet up Sat night? I will have to drive back after the fun Sunday.

Roll call!

I'm driving tomorrow. Should arrive around 6pm local time.

Hope to stop at a range on the way to confirm zero and run a few warm-up drills.

Dinner at the lodge tomorrow?

ETA: I haven't decided on Sunday night yet. Depending on how I'm feeling and how late the event goes I may hit the road or try and snag a room.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 03-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.

I have no idea when I'm getting in tomorrow. The wife and I managed to fit the race into a mini-vacation we're taking. We hit the road without a lot of planning other than to be at the race. If we don't get in early, I'll have to look you up at the check in. Definitely looking forward to it.

User Tag List