Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

No, I've got other plans that weekend. As stated , that deal is part of the new TX RNG Association. The waco event is in that association too. They're all about the same... run fast and shoot straight and you'll do good.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 12-31-2017 at 05:24 PM.

I had started jogging several months ago to train for the Lonestar Armory run. Mind you, I despise running and jogging for distance. I find it extremely boring and envy those who enjoy it. I wish I could because I know cardio is good exercise, especially for someone like me in my early 50’s. I have Crohn’s disease, albeit mild, and cardio supposedly helps keep the inflammation at bay. So I figure something like this, where I can combine shooting, will make it fun.

I had built up to about 6 miles jogging with no added weight and about 4 miles with about 20-25 lbs of soup cans stuffed in a backpack. I have to say knowing that I’m training for this actually makes it fun. Unfortunately, I got sick for six weeks during the holidays and lost my endurance gains. I started up again this past week but over did it a bit. Will have to go slow and be patient the next week or two.

As for carrying gear, I don’t really have most of the stuff I see others using in some of the run and gun photos, like chest rigs, battle belts, and cool stuff like that. I’m hoping to make do with a backpack and pants pockets for ammo, mags and a Camel-back type water bladder. I just have one of those 80’s military style nylon flap holsters for my handgun, but I do have a cool VTAC padded sling that has the quick cinch feature. Either way, I’m not in it to win, just to challenge myself, learn from my mistakes and gear’s limitations, and have fun doing so.

Again, this thread has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    I had started jogging several months ago to train for the Lonestar Armory run. Mind you, I despise running and jogging for distance. I find it extremely boring and envy those who enjoy it. I wish I could because I know cardio is good exercise, especially for someone like me in my early 50’s. I have Crohn’s disease, albeit mild, and cardio supposedly helps keep the inflammation at bay. So I figure something like this, where I can combine shooting, will make it fun.

I had built up to about 6 miles jogging with no added weight and about 4 miles with about 20-25 lbs of soup cans stuffed in a backpack. I have to say knowing that I’m training for this actually makes it fun. Unfortunately, I got sick for six weeks during the holidays and lost my endurance gains. I started up again this past week but over did it a bit. Will have to go slow and be patient the next week or two.

As for carrying gear, I don’t really have most of the stuff I see others using in some of the run and gun photos, like chest rigs, battle belts, and cool stuff like that. I’m hoping to make do with a backpack and pants pockets for ammo, mags and a Camel-back type water bladder. I just have one of those 80’s military style nylon flap holsters for my handgun, but I do have a cool VTAC padded sling that has the quick cinch feature. Either way, I’m not in it to win, just to challenge myself, learn from my mistakes and gear’s limitations, and have fun doing so.

Again, this thread has been great.
    I bought a cheap China/airsoft ches rig from Amazon for my first race. I think it was $30-40 with an integrated hydration carrier. Ended up using it for 3 races. It never fit right and always loosened up during the run, but it did work.

Now I run a 2 piece belt, kinda like a USPSA competition belt. I keep a few rifle and pistol mags on the belt and a backup or two in my small backpack.

I've had good luck with the Blue Force Gear 10 Speed belt pouches. They are very light, simple,and have good retention. Attach to a standard 1.5" belt. I'd recommend getting one of those just do you had a secure mag handy.

Pockets don't work great for most people: they bounce and sometimes lose mags.

Thanks LJ. Excellent info. I did a search for the 10 speed pouch and found this:

https://www.skdtac.com/Blue-Force-Ge...-p/bfg.107.htm

Is that what you’re referring to? It looks like it would work pretty good with its claims that it’ll fit a number of mags in there.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Thanks LJ. Excellent info. I did a search for the 10 speed pouch and found this:

https://www.skdtac.com/Blue-Force-Ge...-p/bfg.107.htm

Is that what you’re referring to? It looks like it would work pretty good with its claims that it’ll fit a number of mags in there.
    Not quite, this is what I'm referring to:
    http://www.skdtac.com/Blue-Force-Gea...-p/bfg.574.htm

The low rise pouch is much more stable while running. The high rise pouch works well for 20 Rd mags.

I also have the double pistol pouch version which works great. If you buy one make sure it's the Belt Mounted version and not "Helium Whisper"- that's their MOLLE attachment

I see now. Got it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The low rise pouch is much more stable while running. The high rise pouch works well for 20 Rd mags.
    Do you have low/high mixed up in that sentence or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Do you have low/high mixed up in that sentence or am I missing something?
    Sorry, poorly formed thought while tapping on phone.

High rise works well for 20rd mags, but isn't very stable with 30s.

Low rise is much better for 30s and doesn't flop around when running.

BFG nomenclature: rise refers to mag position relative to belt, not the coverage of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Sorry, poorly formed thought while tapping on phone.

High rise works well for 20rd mags, but isn't very stable with 30s.

Low rise is much better for 30s and doesn't flop around when running.

BFG nomenclature: rise refers to mag position relative to belt, not the coverage of the magazine.
    Ah, gotcha. THanks!

Another year, and what looks to be another mild winter day for the competition. Shame.

User Tag List