Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

The Pawnee winter run n gun is scheduled for Jan. 20, tickets will be going on sale soon. 5k, 10k, 20k. Special side event is the 'Andrew's Garand Challenge' where participants must run a garand in the 10k or one leg of the 20k.

Maybe this is the year we get true winter weather? That'd make things interesting to say the least.

okrunngun.com

I'm headed down near Waco in a few weeks for the W.T.F. 5 mile biathlon. Looking forward to some stiff competition.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I'm ready! Planning on the 15 mile run.

Signed up for GoRuck in November, a 10M road race in December, so I've got plenty of training planned for the next 3 months.

Garand challenge is tempting. I have a Garand and love it, but I love my AR more. The last Mil surp challenge was much harder than I originally expected... I may go "easy" this time and run the AR.

Ooooh, now this looks like fun...

I used to do a few races a year (triathlons, mud runs, and a 15k) and though I'm not fast by any measure* I found them to be a lot of fun. Last two years I fell off the wagon and I'm not nearly in the shape I was when I did the Augusta half-iron; having a newborn-turned-toddler around really puts a crimp on training opportunities. I need to start getting into something to keep my ass moving. Looks like the trick will be finding one somewhere closer to home; anything further than a few hours' drive is out. I have no illusions of finishing outside the bottom 33% but that's not the point. I need to exercise, and exercise that's fun or has a direct purpose** is better.

*My time at Augusta was 6:57:14... yes, I'm slooowwww....

**I like helping people move; it's exercise with a purpose...
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Ooooh, now this looks like fun...

I used to do a few races a year (triathlons, mud runs, and a 15k) and though I'm not fast by any measure* I found them to be a lot of fun. Last two years I fell off the wagon and I'm not nearly in the shape I was when I did the Augusta half-iron; having a newborn-turned-toddler around really puts a crimp on training opportunities. I need to start getting into something to keep my ass moving. Looks like the trick will be finding one somewhere closer to home; anything further than a few hours' drive is out. I have no illusions of finishing outside the bottom 33% but that's not the point. I need to exercise, and exercise that's fun or has a direct purpose** is better.

*My time at Augusta was 6:57:14... yes, I'm slooowwww....

**I like helping people move; it's exercise with a purpose...
    FYI, RBGC near Ball Ground GA has a 5k Biathlon scheduled for March 2018

Rock Castle in KY will have another RNG in March as well. 5k and 10k. Neat venue and good organizers.

Pawnee tickets on sale today and going fast

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Pawnee tickets on sale today and going fast

I've got a 20K slot

They went fast. I'm waitlisted. 20k would be a little farther than I can put the training time in for by January. I'll keep an eye on the March events as well. Appreciate the head's up.

Keep training because I can almost guarantee you'll get in. The week leading up to the event sees many cancelations. There's always a handful that just don't show up also.

Waco Tactical Fitness Run and Gun held October 20 - 22 in Crawford, TX near Waco

Wife and I went down to RO and do the 5 mile event last Friday. Very challenging event and tough competition

Shooting Stages:

8 stages total. 2 were pistol only, 4 were rifle only and 2 were rifle/pistol combo. Round count was ~60 pistol and 55 rifle. One pistol stage had a 60% DNF rate. It consisted of 3 shooting positions. 1st position required hits on 4" square plates at 32 yards from behind a barricade. The USPSA/3-gun types killed it but the square range, 7 yard and in type guys struggled. The highlight of the event for me was placing 8th out of 104 on that stage. The Gabe White class and the Ben Stoeger books are paying off! 3 of the rifle stages required multiple 400+ yard hits One of them required you to a climb a tree, sit on a limb and make hits. I was very methodical on all my shooting until I ran out of ammo on the last pistol stage giving me a big fat DNF, ouch. That pushed me down to 13/104 on the shooting portion.

Obstacles:

These were interesting. Walls, inclined monkey bars, high hurdles, tin horns, high chain link fence sections gave a lot of people fits. The 8' wall that had to be scaled had a high failure rate. In itself, it wasn't hard but considering you're carrying 20+ pounds of gear and you've already ran 3 miles, it wasn't a gimme. I practiced in advance for most of the obstacles so I cleared them all without much difficulty.

Run Course:

Mostly flat and very runnable except for a mile section or so of creek bed that was a little dicey. I kept a pace that normally nets me a top 5 run time but I underestimated the competition. I wound up 11th overall, that was very disappointing.

Overall the event was a blast. I placed 9th out of 104 competitors, respectable but I expected higher. Kudos to the guys ahead of me, they were very good shooters and runners. Great group of guys all in all and the organizers had everything squared away. Would definitely recommend it if you're in the vicinity. I believe they have another event in February. These Run and Gun Biathlons are super fun and a very good challenge. They're gaining in popularity, especially in TX, and if you've ever been to one, you know why.
    Last edited by FOG; 10-25-2017 at 04:22 PM.

User Tag List