Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Update:
    Race completed. I finished the 20k, but only barely. Final distance was 15 miles.

I was in bad, bad shape at the end. I spent the night covered in ice and vomiting. According to Weather Underground the temp got over 110. I'm not sure what the heat index was.

Not sure I'll try the 20k summer again. I'll definitely do the 20k winter and 10k summer.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 07-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Update:
    Race completed. I finished the 20k, but only barely. Final distance was 15 miles.

I was in bad, bad shape at the end. I spent the night covered in ice and vomiting. According to Weather Underground the temp got over 110. I'm not sure what the heat index was.

Not sure I'll try the 20k summer again. I'll definitely do the 20k winter and 10k summer.
    I was in the same boat including the vomiting. My wife had to cut my steak for me that night at the restaurant because my hands couldn't hold the fork and knife without cramping. The match director said today that he's discontinuing the summer 20k for safety reasons.

You showed a tremendous amount of heart just finishing, quite the achievement and you got that fancy UGA colored trigger to boot!!! You and your buddy did awesome at my pistol stage, was fun to watch.

ETA: my garmin watch showed a similar distance... 14.88 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 07-24-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    I was in the same boat including the vomiting. My wife had to cut my steak for me that night at the restaurant because my hands couldn't hold the fork and knife without cramping. The match director said today that he's discontinuing the summer 20k for safety reasons.

You showed a tremendous amount of heart just finishing, quite the achievement and you got that fancy UGA colored trigger to boot!!! You and your buddy did awesome at my pistol stage, was fun to watch.

ETA: my garmin watch showed a similar distance... 14.88 miles.

I think 14.9 is what I recorded last race. I didn't turn mine off between loops, so the walk to and from the car added to it.

I have no idea what my score is. I know my second run took forever. I think some of my shooting was decent, but I DNF'd the last 3 bolt gun stages. Almost finished stages 4 and 6, was just 1 hit away on both. It's hard to run a Mosin Nagant action quickly.

I'm not surprised they are cancelling the 20k. I pushed too hard and almost got into serious trouble. I did lots of heat training but our weather just doesn't match the OK sun and heat.

After my first 10k race I felt super motivated to get in better shape, go back, and try to be competitive. I have no desire to ever try the 20k summer again. I don't know how I could train to perform in that heat without risking stroke.

I'll be back for the winter, and maybe next summer for the 10k.

You're not alone, last weekend was exponentially harder than either 30 mile trail race I've done.

I felt much better with this 10K than last year's 10K, despite having the plate carrier and helmet this time around. I was able to ration my water much better, and paced the shit out of myself, plenty of sitting around without gear; heat acclimatization was much better this year for me. Still shot rifle like garbage; need more practice with the LPVO. Curious to see how the three of us that did the Juggernaut Challenge compare to each other.

Am I the only person that jumped in the lake? That felt pretty glorious.

Pretty moto that y'all both finished, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I felt much better with this 10K than last year's 10K, despite having the plate carrier and helmet this time around. I was able to ration my water much better, and paced the shit out of myself, plenty of sitting around without gear; heat acclimatization was much better this year for me. Still shot rifle like garbage; need more practice with the LPVO. Curious to see how the three of us that did the Juggernaut Challenge compare to each other.

Am I the only person that jumped in the lake? That felt pretty glorious.

Pretty moto that y'all both finished, either way.
    I skipped the lake. It looked a little too stagnant to me.

I did hang out in the creek for a good 5 minutes on the second run.

I spent 20 min in a water trough when I finished.

Summer scores are up: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/bbf62b...%20scores.xlsx

As expected, mediocre shooting (I really need to work on positional shooting with the LPVO and work out eye relief and all that, it really isn't as easy as an RDS for me once I'm outside of the square range positions) combined with a very poor run time (my winter 20K time was over an hour shorter than this 10K time). Then again, I was basically fine an hour after my run besides some mild soreness, so I guess I could have easily pushed my run time much harder. Still, since I did zero training with the PC and helmet, I think ultimately it was wise of me to play it cautious.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-24-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Damn, that sounds awesome. And rock castle isn't that far away from me.

Problem is I'm about 90% certain I'll be overseas on business that week/weekend

User Tag List