Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

This is what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I went with a chest rig, I would want to test and see if it interferes with prone or other shooting positions. Same if you plan on carrying the Glock AIWB.

Can someone post a picture of what shooting prone looks like with one of these chest rigs pictured above in this thread, using a shooting sling?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is what I said.

Can someone post a picture of what shooting prone looks like with one of these chest rigs pictured above in this thread, using a shooting sling?
    Sorry I don't use a shooting sling and didn't know it was Needed. Same reason we no longer use parade slings when qualifying with rifle in the marine corps, atleast my unit didnt

Name:  20150316_131306 (1).jpg
Views: 816
Size:  45.7 KB
    more modern version of what I used. Mayflower APC with what I consider a minimal chest rig the HSP D3. I run in this often and have no complaints.

*not sure how to spin the image lol

Ok, I only dabble in the super tactical side. I should mention that these hardcore super running tactical matches will likely have prone and other BS involved.

Anyways once you decide on the basic idea of what you are going to run. Here is an idea of how to carry the enbloc clips:
    http://www.originalsoegear.com/colle...ut-garand-tray

These only fit in triple magazine pouches loaded, but if you only load one side they should fit in a double. I remember that be suggested running a little shock cord to be run through the drainage hole of the pouch back when they were custom, but I can't see how to do that on the production item. At least if you want to keep the pull tab up.

He also makes a full rig, but those are pretty custom, and pricey. The above can be used to adapt an AR rig, so you can use it for other stuff. But here a link anyways.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/produ...rand-chest-rig

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you want a chest rig, folks do build Garand-specific chest rigs:

http://www.originalsoegear.com/produ...rand-chest-rig
    http://olongapooutfitters.com/index....egory&cat_id=5

The trouble is, these rigs aren't super modular adding a G19 and pistol mags is going to get complicated. You could try the Olongapoo rig with the waist belt, and maybe use the Olongapoo waist belt as an inner belt for a padded Molle equipped belt, ala http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/su...belt-31PB.html. That gives you the padded belt to mount pistol mags and the pistol to. A Garand stock pouch (check Olongapoo) would give you 14 total enblocs, 12 on your chest rig and two on the gun. The gun mounted ones can be used for prone reloads.

The advantage to such a rig would be that enblocs are pretty flat and shouldn't interfere with prone shooting, your pistol and pistol mags will be on your belt. It will more evenly distribute weight across your body. You can stick enblocs into the stock pouch, removing weight from your chest and moving it to your hands, as you shoot down your ammo supply. That's gonna make the first quarter of the event suck the hardest, but you'll have the most energy then too.

-Rob
    That's what I'm talking about, for the en bloc clips anyway. I could deal with the pistol on a belt.

I know jack shit about biathlon other than seeing it during the Olympics, but they do keep loading and shooting time to a minimum. Presuming the OP has to carry an empty rifle, I like the idea of these type of chest pouches for quick access to ammo.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Wow, lots of responses. Thanks for all of the feedback. Let me try and answer some questions:

-I'm just a mortal civilian who happens to like shooting and running. My approach to this isn't uber-tactical as I won't be getting shot at.

- I'd like to keep gear to a minimum both from a weight and cost standpoint. This is purely for sport. I'm not terribly interested in dropping $500 on gear in addition to the ammo, travel, admission, and training expense.

- I'm more concerned with the speed of my run than the speed of reloading. The way scoring is done I think the running time is critical and can make up for less than perfect shooting.

- I admittely haven't run with a chest rig, but the idea of it seems awful. The last thing I want is a big thick pad strapped to my chest while running in the summer.

- thanks for the PVC pipe suggestion. I'll be doing some trail running this weekend. Looks like Ill need to go to the hardware store!

- I've got a tarhumara pack already. I may try combining it with a belt.

- I'll be using a GLS holster for the G19. I don't mind AIWB for running but I'd like to have a retention holster for this kind of event.

- The biathlon along looks awesome! I definitely need a different sling. The leather M1907 sling doesn't really work for running...

-I want at least 4 clips readily accessible while shooting. 32 rounds should cover any stage.

I think that's all for now. I'm going to experiment some this week.

I've run more than 10 miles at a time with full kit and a rifle, more times than I prefer. I hate running. Never used a Garand:-) With an M4, I found a Vtac sling to work really well cross body, so that that gun was on my left side, muzzle down. I then tightened the sling as much as I could and held the forend with my left hand. Wasn't as easy as just running, but it worked well enough. The helmet on the other hand... When the gun became unbearable, I could switch it to the other side. Not super tactical, but it worked well enough.

FWIW, I too liked the MAV, circa 2003, and used it a lot on my first tour. Never since, but gear has come a long way, and pretty quickly.

I love the HPG Kitbags, but I too don't like to run with a big pad on my chest. An old school vest, like this copy,https://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-fo-65-24.asp works pretty well. I also prefer an ALICE pack when slinging a rifle. I know, I'm weird.

Best advice is to experiment on your runs and figure out what works best for you.

I've been trying to find pics that Henning Walgren posted years ago from a multi gun event. He had a vest that had the rifle mags available from pouches on the back. It was a great looking setup, and for prone shooting it was awesome. Sadly I can't find that pic now.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    - I'm more concerned with the speed of my run than the speed of reloading. The way scoring is done I think the running time is critical and can make up for less than perfect shooting.

-I want at least 4 clips readily accessible while shooting. 32 rounds should cover any stage.
    Like any shooting game you need to know how it's scored. 175 rounds could add up to minutes of penalty time.

How will you restock your four clips accessible clips after shooting? Again, that's time that adds up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've run more than 10 miles at a time with full kit and a rifle...
    I publicly call you out as a liar and a scoundrel. Video (from start to finish) or it didn't happen!

I, too, have run more than 10 yards in my full kit without a rifle and will, for the sake of fairness, provide a video of same. Asthmatic collapse at end included.

User Tag List