Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

2 months out- how's everyone doing?

I'm all geared up with my new HPG kit bag. I've got some 500 yard rifle practice and a few USPSA matches on the calendar to keep up with shooting. Other than that I'm on a CrossFit/Rucking/Running training regimen. Trying to increase both weekly miles and hours out in the heat either running or rucking.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 05-21-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Other than weekly shooting sessions, haven't been doing any rng specific training yet.

Mrs. FOG and I are doing a trail race in Arkansas in two weeks so I've been focused on that the last 4 months. 40-60 miles/ week and 9 runs of 20 miles or more including 3 marathons. If mt legs don't turn to jelly, I should be okay come July!

Gear wise, I bought a AWS LAB belt to use if the HPG kit bag proves to be too hot for the July heat. Their belt system is ingenious. I've used it during shooting drills but haven't ran with it much, yet. I may use the AWS for the bolt rifle leg and the HPG for the AR leg, both with their own hydration packs, that way I could just drop one and grab the other and take off.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up for anyone in the area, but Hawkeye is hosting the Summer Trekker 2 Gun race in Forest Lake, MN on June 4. I believe it will be the same format as the Winter/Spring Trekker, two hours for as many laps as you can do on a 1 to 2-mile course with two rifle and two pistol stages. Some wading though streams and mud should be expected, some is optional for extra points.

Details are here: http://hawkeyeignite.com/portfolio-i...june-4th-2017/

FYI:
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF Biathlon
    Tickets for our October 21-22 events will go on sale at 6pm on Monday June 12. We sold out quickly last time, so make sure to get in there to secure your spot.

In order to allow participants to choose the part of the day in which they will begin the Biathlon or Sprint, we are instituting a system of four heats, with start times as follows: 8am-10am, 10am-Noon, Noon-2pm and 2pm-4pm. When registering in Eventbrite, participants can purchase tickets for the heat of their choice.

This new registration and check-in protocol will significantly reduce the amount of time spent waiting to run, especially for those running in the afternoon. Those with potential scheduling conflicts on the day of the event will be able to manage their check-in and start times by registering for the heat of their choosing, in order to get to or from the other places they need to be that day.

Of course, we very strongly encourage everybody to be present at the end of the day for results, trophies and prizes. We expect this to take place as soon as the last participant finishes the course, roughly at 6:30pm on Saturday and 4:30pm Sunday. Make sure to stick around!

For more info about the new registration process, please see the description here.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Unfortunately, late Oct. is when I start winding down on biathlons and races and start focusing on hunting.

Waco is a long drive from the East Coast.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another Rock Castle event this fall

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another Rock Castle event this fall
    That inaugural event was a huge success and I hear Matt is working out details for the next one.

The Summer Trekker on Sunday was great. It was 85 to 90 here in Minnesota, so it was a hot one. The long range area wasn't available so our longest shots were 90 yds, which were from fairly improvised positions. We compensated by having a ton of close knockdown steel for pistols. The course was a little under a mile, again a time limit of two hours, and the top finishers did 5 laps and change. Round counts were in the range of 200 pistol and 125 rifle. Spread over two hours of constant running, there's just no down time, it's great.

One standout was the guy who put us all to shame and ran it in both the morning and afternoon flights. Joe, you're crazy, in the best way.

I'm really looking forward to the Winter Trekker on December 3rd, though hopefully it won't be -20 again. With luck we can get a spring and fall Trekker going too.

So... 1 month from Race Day. Who will be there? Who is ready?

I'm still adding mileage. I've got some good 12 mile runs under my belt so far across carried terrain. Should have time for 2-3 more quality long runs before the race.

I'll be ready. Since completing the War Eagle 50k two weeks ago, I've started training specifically for this run n gun. Heat acclimation and running with a load is the focus.

Dry firing almost nightly and live fire once a week with focus on mid range (100-200 yds) rifle technique from kneeling and standing positions.

User Tag List