Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

22 July.

Last summer we had to run both legs of the double with an iron sighted .30 rifle. I used a Scout rifle so I'm fine with the deal, although I'd like to be able to utilize a scope.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The summer OK Run 'n' Gun sign ups open on 2017-04-04 0900 CST.

Only ten 20K slots open this time, and they have a weird requirement that's gonna keep me from competing in it:
    Yeah, that definitely is a bummer. My only centerfire bolt action is a M39 in 7.62x54r.

It's accurate enough... But not all that fast. And it weighs a ton. I already psyched myself up for the 20k, so I'm going to do it. But it's going to suck. Hard.

They don't call it the full retard challenge for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    22 July.

I'm going to be traveling.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

So are there any bolt action rifles cha here's in 308 or 223 with good adjustable sights? Is there a straight stock bolt rifle that will take AR sights?

I'm partial to my Ruger GSR. The irons are usable for this type of match. I was shooting very accurately with it last summer then a week before the event, I switched back to match grade ammo and never got a good zero established (windy week). Lesson learned.

FWIW, I'm catching crap from the other guys who are using Mil Surp rifles. Don't quote me, but one is using a K98 and another a K31. My nomenclature could be off.

Last edited by FOG; 03-25-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Here's a quick summary of the inaugural 3G4V (3 Gun 4 Vets) Rockcastle Run n Gun held last weekend near Park City, KY.

First, the facilities were outstanding. Rockcastle is a 2000 acre shooting resort that holds a multitude of shooting events. They have a large lodge/ hotel with full restaurant and bar.

Stage setup was good, run course was short but challenging with lots hills. It rained hard on Friday when we (RO's) ran. That made things tough. At my stage, i saw two glocks full of mud that just completely failed to fire. These happened to be carried by some SF guys that were "special guests" from Fort Cambell. Cool to see them try frantically to work thru the problems but to no avail. Besides that, scopes and safety glasses were fogging up and the rain made the rifle targets hard to see.

Highlight to me was ROing the cave stage. It was a long and narrow cave with 10 USPSA targets set up with layers of conveyor belt material as a backstop. Interesting to watch the guys that had shot in there before. They'd run the 140 yard distance at near full speed and shoot the targets from 2-3 yards away, often times, SHO. Those that didn't know what to expect were tentative and engaged the targets when they first saw them, sometimes 10 yards out. I ran it again at the end of the match and cut my time nearly in half!

Saturday was muddy but the sun was out and it was a beautiful day. The competitors were good natured and safe. Many 3 gunners were there (evidently there's alot of 3 gun competitions at Rockcastle), complete with the fancy jerseys. Not surprisingly, they shot very well.

They had a special "mule" award given to the competitor who carried the most weight in relation to his bodyweight. Wow, the dude that won weighed 230# and carried 140# of gear!! He was hating life but did indeed finish.

The match director is a stand up guy that has attended the OK event several times. He put on a very smooth match. The sponsors gave away a TON of prizes that took up an entire room in the lodge. I doubt anyone walked away without something. I left with an autographed copy of a " 13 Hours" dvd, a Voodoo Rhino range bag, Oakley Tombstone shooting glasses and some knife sharpeners!

I ended up 16th out of 81 which was dissapointing. Shooting and running was good but I badly fumbled two reloads, of all things, that cost me alot of time. Regardless, it was a great event. Due to the fact that sold out in 30 minutes I'm sure they'll have more RNGs there and, Lord willing, I'd like to return.

Here's a few cave pics

Name:  20170317_131455.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  20170317_131543.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by FOG; 03-25-2017 at 09:54 PM.

I'm partial to my Ruger GSR. The irons are usable for this type of match. I was shooting very accurately with it last summer then a week before the event, I switched back to match grade ammo and never got a good zero established (windy week). Lesson learned.

FWIW, I'm catching crap from the other guys who are using Mil Surp rifles. Don't quote me, but one is using a K98 and another a K31. My nomenclature could be off.

How do you adjust for elevation on the 500? Or are you just holding over?

Holdover based on 200 yard zero. Not ideal but it works for the large 500 yard target

Anyone who'd like to borrow my K31 and plenty of ammo, let me know. I have one scouterized but one is still original. It's heavy but it's fast and hits hard. I will be driving through OK from Dallas to KC several times this spring and can go through OKC or Tulsa and drop it off.

I'm changing jobs and can't put time into training or I'd do the 20k.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I ran the Winter/Spring Trekker put on by Hawkeye Ignite last weekend in Forest Lake, MN, and it was a blast. The format was a 2 hour time period to run a 1.5 mile course and shoot at four stages each lap, two rifle and two pistol. Stages were 15 second par times, with pistol shots at 15 - 20 yards and rifle at 50-250 yds, all on steel. First lap was 25 pts per target, then 15, then 10 on the third lap, but then increasing by 5 pts each lap after that. I'm not a great shot but I can run pretty well, so that's what I optimized for.

I loaded up my pack with everything you see here, minus two rifle mags I took out at the last minute. Carried 200 rifle and 250 pistol rounds, but shot only about half of that (103 rifle and 139 pistol).

I mounted the rifle by slipping the handguards through a strap on the bottom of the pack and attached to a QD swivel on the top. Lots of people ran slings, put in an Eberlestock pack, or actually just carried rifles, but this was fast for me and left both hands free. It worked great and I would do it again but just tie down the top strap so it wouldn't loosen as easily.

Lots of people ran with USPSA style holsters empty and just threw the pistol into their pack between stages. Some I think ran with retention holsters the whole time. I was the weirdo carrying AIWB. I used my CCC Gestalt for my P30 LEM, with an RCS Claw I added. I planned to just throw that all in my pack if it got too uncomfortable, but that never happened. I ended up doing 4.25 laps, so about 6.4 miles and it was comfortable and really fast. I did end up with a light bruise on my stomach the next day but I didn't notice anything during the run. It certainly helped that my pack is small on me so the hip strap was well above my hips, and that I'm a pretty thin guy.

This is the only picture I got of the stages. This was the long range rifle stage, with B/C steel targets, 3 at 50 yds, 2 at 150, and one at 250. Being a super novice on the rifle, I was quite proud of hitting all six targets in the 15 sec limit on two of the laps.

As I said, I'm not the greatest shooter but running was my strength here, so among the 29 people I managed to tie for second most stages and get into the top half of points, which is more than I expected. I'm definitely running the Summer Trekker this June.

User Tag List