Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    Perhaps I'm super late to the party, but other than Pecos Run n Gun I am clueless on any others. I tried to skim through the thread, but maybe I missed it.......is there a resource out there that lists these type of competitions for the year?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The best source right now is https://okfao.vbulletin.net/. We're ate up with biathlons over there and info on new events is always shared.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Sir. Greatly appreciated.

The one I was eyeing is in Kentucky, Rock Castle Run and Gun and another in Michigan but the name escapes me right now.

I've been looking for a similar event closer to home (SW OH). Rock castle is only about 4 hours away but I've got a prior commitment that weekend

Appreciate the AAR's from everyone that ran this. Thanks to LJ for starting this thread back in 2015. I didn't even know these races existed until I saw this.

I was going to target the June race this year but I have a work commitment. If finances and work schedule sort out, I want to try for the January, 2018 race. It gives me almost a year for training and gear acquisition.

Based on all of the recommendations, I'll go for the HPG Kit Bag/Tarahumara combination. I already have a Kit Bag so the pack is the next logical step.

For the rifle, I currently have irons but am looking at picking up a LPV for my 6920. Does anyone who has done this have an recommendations? Going to plan on a G17 for the pistol stage.

I've got a few half marathons under my belt with the next coming up in May. I also have trail ultra-marathon relay in October. I'm going to start adding weight to my training runs after the half in May.

My big question is footwear. I use different style shoes for road running vs. trail running. With the added weight of rifle, pistol, ammo, etc, does it make more sense to look at a light weight boot or should I stick with sneaks?

I use a vortex strike eagle 1-6, for the $$ it's a good run n gun optic. LJ uses a vortex viper I believe.

I ran the summer event in Brooks Cascadia then GRADUALLY made the switch to zero drop shoes (i.e., Altra). I now own 3 pair. Lone Peak 3.0 are what I used in January. Much more comfortable than the Kenetrek mid Bridger hiking shoes used to run in.

Last edited by FOG; 02-08-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSBT4117 View Post
    My big question is footwear. I use different style shoes for road running vs. trail running. With the added weight of rifle, pistol, ammo, etc, does it make more sense to look at a light weight boot or should I stick with sneaks?
    I ran my first two with a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX. Ran this last one with a pair of Salomon S-Lab Sense 5 Ultra. I carried my rifle in a rear sweep position using an SOB Bitch Sling, and everything else was mounted to my The Wilderness Instructor Belt (RCS Phantom with H&K P30LS with RMR, X400U, and +5 extention, extra pistol mag with +5 extention, and 3 loaded rifle mags). Pretty minimal set-up, and the Sense 5 Ultra was just fine. For context, my current road shoes are Newton Gravity IVs and Salomon S-Lab Sonics.

While my rifle shooting was pretty weak for the most part, I attribute it to lack of practice; I did not do any rifle shooting beyond zeroing my new rifle since the last run 'n' gun, so that put me about 6 months of not practicing my holdovers. However, I was able to do much better the second time through compared to my first run, utilizing just an Aimpoint T-2 and EOTech G33 3x magnifier, as I had figured out my holds (I cleared the 2 shots at 300, 2 shots at 500 stage in 42 seconds with a suppressed 11.5" gun on my second run through, so it's perfectly doable with lower magnification, and probably even with no mag, given the size of the target).
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-08-2017 at 11:24 PM.

My first race I ran 20" irons. A bad zero caused me to DQ the 500 yard stage. Other than that I felt fine using the irons. I may actually use them again for old times sake. I now run a Viper PST 1-4. It's been fun to dabble with. I don't have 100% confidence in its durability but I've enjoyed playing with the turrets and dialing for hits.

For shoes I've been using these for the past year:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/ai.../pgid-10294334

I really like the 4mm drop for longer runs and the extra cushion for trails. The tread is pretty aggressive but hasn't caused any issues on the road and has also been surprisingly durable on asphalt. For short stuff and sprints I usually use Merrell Trail Gloves.

Through a strange turn of events, I am now going to the Rock Castle Run n Gun in Park City, KY next weekend. By chance, will there be any P-F members in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Through a strange turn of events, I am now going to the Rock Castle Run n Gun in Park City, KY next weekend. By chance, will there be any P-F members in attendance?

Ah man, I was wanting to go but I've got a business trip interfering. Let me know how it turns out- it's a much shorter drive for me than Pawnee.

Training update:
    I joined a local CrossFit gym. 3 weeks in now. I'm crazy weak compared to everyone, but I do well on the days we run.

I've been doing 1 long run and 1 ruck per week with CrossFit. My runs are staring to "feel" better(hills don't seem as hard, easier to keep my HR low), but I don't have a good way to quantify any improvement. I'm going to start tracking my times on specific trails. I've been really erratic in where I run, and even when I go to the same park I've been using different routes.

March is the month of strength training. I'm gonna ratchet up the mileage in April.

User Tag List