Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

261 posts in this thread, and not a single person has answered the question
    If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?
    thusly:
    I would lay down until the urge went away...
    I used to do it, of course, in BDUs, and combat boots. So maybe that has something to do with my attitude...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

I need some advice on water carriage.
    It boils down to the old 'prepare for the worst...' adage. A man could get by with 1L on the 5k but 2 or even 3L would be safer. Much depends on start time too. 1L = approx 2.5 #. LJ can attest to what happens if you run out.

Camelback would be good. I'm partial to the Geigerrig pressure systems myself. Id like to pair that with a HPG Tarahumara pack.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    FOG, You're a beast man. 20k, damn.

I need some advice on water carriage. Last time since I drew 4th runner, I hardly had time to stop and suck water; luckily the weather was conducive to that. This time the weather won't be that forgiving, and eve though I've wussed out to do the 5k (I donated the other 5k to FOG's 20k fund), I could still end up with long wait times. I need to figure out the right balance of water to carry, but also a good way to carry it. Minimalistic camelback?
    I used a small Osprey backpack this winter that worked great. I had my mags, water, and a little food in it to keep my waistline slick.

If I wasn't worried about needing to carry mags in the pack I would look at the trail running packs. They are usually vest and are a lot more stable than some of the other packs. They usually have pockets for stashing gear but weren't robust enough for AR mags.

I'm going to try to use my belt rig this time to keep the weight low and stable (heck anything flops some when you're running - can't be worse than a sling pack, right?). It's not perfect but really no gear is - and half the fun of these things is trying to figure out the right blend of "good enough" that covers all bases. At any rate I lost a (relative) lot of time due to poor access and ammo management during the shoot stages.

Training wise, nope not where I want to be, but I'll keep trying. Need to tighten up the diet as dropping a few more pounds would be about as big of a help as anything else. I've been doing some body weight, dumbell, kettle bell work and LSd on the rower but need to get out and RUN more.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Alright, less than one week out. Who's ready?

The heat has been kicking my butt in GA. Not excited to feel OK heat

PF dinner after the race? I unfortunately missed the one in January.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Alright, less than one week out. Who's ready?

The heat has been kicking my butt in GA. Not excited to feel OK heat

PF dinner after the race? I unfortunately missed the one in January.
    The heat does suck and it's been wearing on me more this year too. To try to acclimate better I've been running in my gear on a treadmill out in the sweat box of a garage, and it kicks my butt.

Definitely up for a dinner and a visit. And lots to cool liquids.
    --Josh

I'm ready. Run course has changed from past events. Stages are mixed around now. It is sure to be a good test.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I will be wearing a bright blue short sleeve tech shirt with off-white pants on race day, so grab me if you see me.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I will be wearing a bright blue short sleeve tech shirt with off-white pants on race day, so grab me if you see me.
    Have a safe trip up man! See you there.

Same for you other guys traveling. If anyone runs into trouble and there's anything a (more or less) local can do, ping me.
    --Josh

Well this sucks.

Unfortunately I have to miss this race. Something came up with family that requires my presence at home. Best of luck to all of you and stay safe out there.

I'll plan on being at the January race.

User Tag List