Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

If you've got a Garand and 110 rounds of .30-06, you've got no reason to run from anyone. Just saying.

If I had to do this, I'd use some kind of chest rig.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Maybe look on YOUTUBE at some of the FT Benning Best Ranger competition and see how the two man teams run with their gear. When I was light Infantry, we would wear the old Load Bearing (LBE) gear and would run it up high off our hips but lower than a chest rig (this was before chest rigs were popular) when we were moving fast. Agreed on the Camelbak.
    Yup. My experience as well.

M16/M4 carried by the slip ring.

There is a massive difference between a purpose built rifle and sling compared to an M1 Garand with whatever sling you choose. You are NOT going to want to sling that for 10k. I have run 7 miles with a pack and M14 in vermont, too. I'll take the AR15 FoW anyday.

Check out something from blue force gear for a chest rig.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx

Bonus, with the Kit Bag all zipped up, you can run anywhere you like with all that gear, you'll just have to come up with a proxy for the rifle.
    +1 for the HPG Kit Bag. I always run with mine...a Snubby original pattern KB. Even though it is smaller than the Original KB it still holds a lot of gear. I'd like to pair it with a HPG Tarahumara Pack and a runners harness for running. There are some pictures on the HPG website of an ultra marathon runner using this setup.

As far as carrying the rifle, that is a tricky one. The Garand is heavy so it won't be too fun toting it around for a 10K. Let us know what you come up with.

If I went with a chest rig, I would want to test and see if it interferes with prone or other shooting positions. Same if you plan on carrying the Glock AIWB.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I went with a chest rig, I would want to test and see if it interferes with prone or other shooting positions. Same if you plan on carrying the Glock AIWB.
    Shouldnt be too hard to accomplish. Chest rigs interfering with prone is massively overblown, IMO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Personally I would run a TT MAV, like the one shown on right, worn low, off hips.

Then I'd run an ultralight bare bones AR like this.

Remember that ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Shouldnt be too hard to accomplish. Chest rigs interfering with prone is massively overblown, IMO.
    Your opinion is in conflict with my experience.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Your opinion is in conflict with my experience.
    used a chest rig in combat, no complaints here. It still allows use of the mag as a makeshift bipod for more stability and in a pinch reloads can be fast as well (prefer a belt reload while in prone though)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Personally I would run a TT MAV, like the one shown on right, worn low, off hips.

Then I'd run an ultralight bare bones AR like this.

Remember that ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

man your like the first guy I have met that likes the MAV. any thing/things you particularly like about it? When I was a boot I used to get crap talked to me because I got a plate carrier from supply right away and didn't have to suffer with the MAV like everyone else. So far the best armor carrier I have used is the Mayflower APC, I'll try to post pictures later.

If you want a chest rig, folks do build Garand-specific chest rigs:

http://www.originalsoegear.com/produ...rand-chest-rig
    http://olongapooutfitters.com/index....egory&cat_id=5

The trouble is, these rigs aren't super modular adding a G19 and pistol mags is going to get complicated. You could try the Olongapoo rig with the waist belt, and maybe use the Olongapoo waist belt as an inner belt for a padded Molle equipped belt, ala http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/su...belt-31PB.html. That gives you the padded belt to mount pistol mags and the pistol to. A Garand stock pouch (check Olongapoo) would give you 14 total enblocs, 12 on your chest rig and two on the gun. The gun mounted ones can be used for prone reloads.

The advantage to such a rig would be that enblocs are pretty flat and shouldn't interfere with prone shooting, your pistol and pistol mags will be on your belt. It will more evenly distribute weight across your body. You can stick enblocs into the stock pouch, removing weight from your chest and moving it to your hands, as you shoot down your ammo supply. That's gonna make the first quarter of the event suck the hardest, but you'll have the most energy then too.

-Rob

User Tag List