Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

I'm going to run a Kifaru Scout with my pistol and spare mags on the belt. Rifle slung. Insulation and water bottles in the pack, as wella s my eye and ear pro. Might wear the eye pro, not sure.

I don't want to give medical advice, but it is only a 6 mile run, and not all at once. I don't mean to downplay it, but the temps won't be like they were when you guys did it last. I am not a believer in constant hydration during an event. I know that goes counter to conventional wisdom, but the human body is meant to be able to go for a while without needing water. I've run 10k's in really hot weather, and never drank till it was over. I tend to stay well hydrated, and know what my body needs. It always cracks me up at crossfit when people constantly stop during a 1 hour workout (only 20 mins straight, usually!) and drink. They are not the ones in top shape, ime.

I intend to drink at the shooting points, which I believe will be more than frequent enough. Can't be more than 3 or so miles at a time, I assume. Maybe I'm wrong. Any idea how long the longest leg of the run is?

On their website, there is a map at the bottom. First time they've supplied that information but last summer there were some (including myself) that got off course.

You start on the gravel road and travel in a horseshoe pattern for 2.5 miles +/-. This part isn't bad to me. Its the longest leg between stages.

You turn right into the woods and have 4 stages scattered a good distance apart during the woods part of the race. This is where many catch their breath bc alot of that trail isn't conducive to running. I passed many during this stretch.

Return to gravel road and begin to backtrack for a mile or two. This stretch is where the fatigue will kick in. Lots walk some of this.

BEFORE you reach the original starting point you'll turn left and travel thru rolling pasture land and engage 3 stages a few hundred yards apart. From the last stage to the finish line, sprint approx 600 yards. Done.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 01-24-2016 at 05:42 PM.

I get what you're saying about hydration. There are some who choose not to carry water at all. I can't do it anymore. As I get older my body tends to need more water.

Football and basic training taught me that I could go without water but that was 25 years ago. Nowadays my body tends to shut down faster. I attribute it to being weaker, both physically and mentally which I guess is a product of age and easy living, but I'm fighting to stay sharp [emoji4]

Just want to wish you all good luck, and say that I'm jealous. Maybe I can make it out to the next even this summer.

Have fun!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm going to run a Kifaru Scout with my pistol and spare mags on the belt. Rifle slung. Insulation and water bottles in the pack, as wella s my eye and ear pro. Might wear the eye pro, not sure.

I don't want to give medical advice, but it is only a 6 mile run, and not all at once. I don't mean to downplay it, but the temps won't be like they were when you guys did it last. I am not a believer in constant hydration during an event. I know that goes counter to conventional wisdom, but the human body is meant to be able to go for a while without needing water. I've run 10k's in really hot weather, and never drank till it was over. I tend to stay well hydrated, and know what my body needs. It always cracks me up at crossfit when people constantly stop during a 1 hour workout (only 20 mins straight, usually!) and drink. They are not the ones in top shape, ime.

I intend to drink at the shooting points, which I believe will be more than frequent enough. Can't be more than 3 or so miles at a time, I assume. Maybe I'm wrong. Any idea how long the longest leg of the run is?
    Part of what got me in the summer was the long waits at stages. I have no problem running a 10k without water. But running and sitting over the course of 2-3 hours you'll get thirsty.

This event should be much easier with the cool weather, but I'll still have a liter of water on me.

I also drink like a fish though... I'll go through 4 liters of water a day at my desk job. When hiking I dial it back and it doesn't seem to bother me. But in the summer run I used up 1.5 liters and had muscle spasms from dehydration... And pissed brown after the match.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 01-24-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Part of what got me in the summer was the long waits at stages. I have no problem running a 10k without water. But running and sitting over the course of 2-3 hours you'll get thirsty.

This event should be much easier with the cool weather, but I'll still have a liter of water on me.

I also drink like a fish though... I'll go through 4 liters of water a day at my desk job. When hiking I dial it back and it doesn't seem to bother me. But in the summer run I used up 1.5 liters and had muscle spasms from dehydration... And pissed brown after the match.
    I'm not saying anything to the contrary. My point was that I don't think a camelbak is all that useful for an event like this, because you will likely have some down time at the stages and can drink then. You likely don't need to drink on the go, so I'm carrying an actual pack, rather than a hydration pack. All of this is "likely", because I don't know for sure. I do know about proper hydration, and how to accomplish it. Whether the event allows that to happen in an ideal way or not, I don't know, but I do think it is likely to allow it.

Water is essential. Drinking every 5 minutes during a race is not the best way to go, imo. That was all, certainly not a comment on what happened to you last summer. I well remember reading about it, and as I think I said then, you did well to not quit. I'm sure it made a strong impression on you.

For the crawling, what kind of terrain is underfoot? Most likely going to shed my gaiters, since the weather looks good, wondering if I should lose the Knee Caps, too.

For dinner, if that's still happening, did y'all wanna do it in Pawnee, Perry, or Stillwater? Stillwater will have the most options, but it's not exactly on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    For the crawling, what kind of terrain is underfoot? Most likely going to shed my gaiters, since the weather looks good, wondering if I should lose the Knee Caps, too.

For dinner, if that's still happening, did y'all wanna do it in Pawnee, Perry, or Stillwater? Stillwater will have the most options, but it's not exactly on the way.
    I talked to Loknlod earlier. I'm up for anything, but would prefer not to drive too far from Perry, as I'll already be in the car for 5 hours to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I talked to Loknlod earlier. I'm up for anything, but would prefer not to drive too far from Perry, as I'll already be in the car for 5 hours to get there.
    I was in the midst of a flurry of PMs so we'll get everyone rounded up
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    in July, you had to crawl thru a bed of gravel but that was the first time they tried that.

User Tag List