Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    used a chest rig in combat, no complaints here. It still allows use of the mag as a makeshift bipod for more stability and in a pinch reloads can be fast as well (prefer a belt reload while in prone though)
    Unless I missed something, the OP is engaging in a running and shooting contest, using a Garand. He isn't engaging in combat, or using a long gun with a magazine to monopod off of.

Looking at the rigs on those two guys in the picture, I think it is a clue they are standing next to a vehicle.

I don't know squat about combat. Besides the Keneyathalon, which seems close to what the OP is participating in, I have considerable experience shooting from slung, prone in the hunting field. I can tell you that things on your chest, whether they be large binoculars or handguns, are a detriment to good shooting with a sling.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If looking tacticool isn't a requirement, I'd use a UTMB style race pack and a shoulder holster for the Glock. I'd store the rifle ammo in bandoliers and pull them out as needed. I'd try to keep any unnecessary weight, and especially uneven weight, off of my hips and legs since it can have profound effects on gate and stride and cause all sorts of problems.

Personally I'd rather spend an extra minute at the beginning of a stage to catch my breath and pull extra ammo out of the pack, than carry it on my chest for the entire race. Regardless of how you carry ammo, a little breather at the beginning of a stage is time well spent.

If you can't run with your rifle, get a 3' PVC pipe and put about 10 pounds of sand in it, so you can have the experience of running with a rifle without having to run in public with a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unless I missed something, the OP is engaging in a running and shooting contest, using a Garand. He isn't engaging in combat, or using a long gun with a magazine to monopod off of.

Looking at the rigs on those two guys in the picture, I think it is a clue they are standing next to a vehicle.

I don't know squat about combat. Besides the Keneyathalon, which seems close to what the OP is participating in, I have considerable experience shooting from slung, prone in the hunting field. I can tell you that things on your chest, whether they be large binoculars or handguns, are a detriment to good shooting with a sling.
    Okie dokie.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    man your like the first guy I have met that likes the MAV. any thing/things you particularly like about it? When I was a boot I used to get crap talked to me because I got a plate carrier from supply right away and didn't have to suffer with the MAV like everyone else. So far the best armor carrier I have used is the Mayflower APC, I'll try to post pictures later.
    I like that I can quickly adapt to ever changing missions. Sometimes I'd be wearing a carrier, sometimes not. Sometimes I would just have a first line belt, which was mainly Glock and mags, tq, Leatherman GPS and radio.

Due to ever changing roles, I could quickly adapt, wearing it over a carrier, or under a cover garment.

If I was primarily doing just one type of job, like dismounted patrol, or convoy security, I might have opted for something different. The flexibility to quickly adapt made it a practical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unless I missed something.
    Unless I missed something, there's no reason to be a douche over it. What you have found is that your singular experience as 1 person did not work well with a chest rig, if you tried one. That does not mean it won't work well for others, so there's no reason to get righteous about it and tell us we have to be wrong because it didnt work for you.

And, while this might come as a shock to you, a good part of training for Marines and Rangers might involve running long distances with gear, sprinting, and then shooting at targets a few hundred meters away from prone.I know.....mind blowing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have not run a lot with rifle and gear but from the little I have done some general thoughts. YMMV.

Gear must not flop and swing around. This eats energy and beats on you. There is a tradeoff between having your load too tight constricting your movement and having it flop around
    No gear on your legs or in leg pockets. Takes energy to move it. In particular no holsters, sub-loads strapped to your legs.
    As much as possible balance the load right to left and front to back so that you are not straining to stand and move correctly.

As to specifics:
    I have found IWB holsters to rub on 5K runs and 20+ mile walks. I have found running with AIWB to be more uncomfortable than 3:00 IWB.
    For me 3:00- 4:00 OWB holster with spare mag pouches at 8:00 balances out OK.

I wonder how the Biathalon backpack sling would work for this. Running is somewhat more jarring than cross country skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Unless I missed something, there's no reason to be a douche over it. What you have found is that your singular experience as 1 person did not work well with a chest rig, if you tried one. That does not mean it won't work well for others, so there's no reason to get righteous about it and tell us we have to be wrong because it didnt work for you.

And, while this might come as a shock to you, a good part of training for Marines and Rangers might involve running long distances with gear, sprinting, and then shooting at targets a few hundred meters away from prone.I know.....mind blowing.
    Thanks, said what I didn't have time to

I'll second the HPG tarahumara+kit bag for running with a small load. The rig keeps bouncing to a minimum and lets you balance weight in front and behind - I find a pure chest rig makes my lower back uncomfortable after a while, though maybe that's just cause I'm old and fat and weak and maybe for a 10K it's not that big a deal anyway. I don't race, just some jogging in the woods, so there may be considerations I'm missing.

I've never run any real distance with a rifle, but I can imagine it's non-trivial to get the bouncing under control with a sling. One of those scabbard packs might work. Purely theoretical thought, but carrying the rifle in hand seems convenient and even with a heavier rifle seems very doable for a 10K...but I'd want to consider the effects of muscle fatigue on my shooting. Keeping my arms rested might be well worth the extra time to unsling or unscabbard the rifle at the shooting stations.

I'm very curious about what you come up with and how it goes for you!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Here is some info on a Biathalon Sling. I have no experience with it, but it is another way to carry the rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cUOMIzG3Y

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I like that I can quickly adapt to ever changing missions. Sometimes I'd be wearing a carrier, sometimes not. Sometimes I would just have a first line belt, which was mainly Glock and mags, tq, Leatherman GPS and radio.

Due to ever changing roles, I could quickly adapt, wearing it over a carrier, or under a cover garment.

If I was primarily doing just one type of job, like dismounted patrol, or convoy security, I might have opted for something different. The flexibility to quickly adapt made it a practical choice.
    Makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 03-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.

User Tag List