Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

So I'm going to compete in a running biathlon this summer. Its a 10k trail race with 8 shooting stages. Stages are a mix of rifle and pistol from 10 to 500 yards.

I've read through the stages and determined I need ~110 rounds of rifle and ~65 rounds of pistol ammo.

The event organizer has announced a special prize for anyone who wins with a Garand. Naturally I'll be competing with a garand.

I consider myself a decent runner and am training to be a good runner. I can run a 10k now, but I want to run a 10k fast while carrying a load. This I'm not worried about. Training is easy(kinda) and I know how to do it.

What I dont know is the logistics of carrying this gear in a runner-friendly way.

I need to carry 13-14 enbloc clips and 4 glock 17 mags in a way that allows me to run 10k without it killing me. I have 6 molle garand pouches which I can mount to my competition belt, along with 4 mag pouches. I've got a GLS to hold my G19. I'm considering getting suspenders to attach to the belt. I've also got USGI 6 clip bandoleers for the garand.

Any suggestions? I haven't decided on if or how I'll carry water.

I competed twice in the Keneyathalon at Raton, finished top ten year one and in second place year two.

Camelbak type arrangement, as you won't want to take the time to handle water bottles. Rifle in your hand. I also carried a Glock. Ran without ear pro on so I could hear the snakes.

I have several small Eagle packs that take a bladder and have Molle in back to attach your web gear.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Do the enblocs needs to be readily accessible? If not, I would try to stack them inside a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. Put the pistol and one or two spare magazines in the pistol pouch. Enbloc clips in the outer pockets. I bet if you pack it just right it will all fit.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx

Bonus, with the Kit Bag all zipped up, you can run anywhere you like with all that gear, you'll just have to come up with a proxy for the rifle.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    Maybe look on YOUTUBE at some of the FT Benning Best Ranger competition and see how the two man teams run with their gear. When I was light Infantry, we would wear the old Load Bearing (LBE) gear and would run it up high off our hips but lower than a chest rig (this was before chest rigs were popular) when we were moving fast. Agreed on the Camelbak.

We are diminished
    Mounted to a treadmill on wheels being towed by my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I competed twice in the Keneyathalon at Raton, finished top ten year one and in second place year two.

Camelbak type arrangement, as you won't want to take the time to handle water bottles. Rifle in your hand. I also carried a Glock. Ran without ear pro on so I could hear the snakes.

I have several small Eagle packs that take a bladder and have Molle in back to attach your web gear.
    Really? No sling?

Did you run with it over your shoulder?

What about ammo? Did you take off the pack whenever you had to shoot?

L
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Really? No sling?

Did you run with it over your shoulder?

What about ammo? Did you take off the pack whenever you had to shoot?
    I had a shooting sling both years, and a bipod on my .25-06 year two (no range finder allowed and that cartridge was an advantage). I ran with the rifle in my hand, because it was much more comfortable than rubbing against me when slung. I believe year one, I pulled my pack off shooting to act as a partial rest.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Out of curiosity, what kind of pace would you be expecting to make while carrying all that?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Mounted to a treadmill on wheels being towed by my Jeep.
    I'll drive the jeep.

"I would run, but I got to drive Todd around."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I'll drive the jeep.
    Done, and done.

User Tag List