Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    First, it's been in single digits here so I ain't running out side...yet.

Okay, I could run two pistol and two rifle mags on my wilderness belt and everything else in a backpack with a small water bladder. I just liked the idea of having everything out at once. But that does seem more practical/comfortable. I'm not crazy about a big chest rig, I just have no use for it outside of this event...
    Ouch! Didn't see your location. Yeah, single digits suck.

I'm not a fan of chest rigs either. I bought a cheap Condor(airsoft) setup on Amazon for my first race. It gets HOT in the summer and it never fit well- I'm 5'11" but have a smaller frame so the shoulders and chest were always too loose.

All that said- I'm happy to loan it out for a race. I'd be willing to drop it in the mail and let you return it at the event. If you're interested send a PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

All that said- I'm happy to loan it out for a race. I'd be willing to drop it in the mail and let you return it at the event. If you're interested send a PM.
    Thanks! I have a minimalist setup I want to try and if I do a couple runs with it and find it lacking I will be in touch.

Another year, another 20K first place finishing from @FOG. He also managed to snag the 3rd place finish for the 10K.

I did manage to snag the winning score for the 10K Juggernaut challenge, and got talked into doing my entire 20K in armor and helmet by one of the events organizer (Daniel Hensch). The former achievement was probably more due to a low skill pool out of the guys doing Juggernaut than my own physical prowess, as I managed to run an extra 2 miles on the first 10K; I missed a blindly obvious turn, and ended up taking the next turn. This meant that I clocked 15.98 miles in armor and helmet, besides all the other gear. Yeah, it sucked.

My rifling was again mediocre (sounds like a broken record at this point), although I feel my skills have actually improved; a combination of fatigue (which hurt both my physical performance and mental train of thought, the latter being my total failure to account for offset on my rifle through an otherwise easy stage) and inability to read wind hurt my rifle shooting.

As always, great to see @FOG (and his lovely wife that RO'd after running the event yesterday) and @littlejerry.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-20-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Nice work, dude.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

FOG is a beast. Not sure what his run time was, but he smoked me. I placed 2nd overall for the 20k, and managed to snag 1st place for the shoot score. I felt like my rifle stages went really well and my pistol stages were a bit rougher, but it all worked out.

Default was a total badass and did the 20k in full kit with plates and a helmet. And not only was the "20k" 14 miles this time, but he managed to take a wrong turn and added another ~2 mile bonus. I'm sure his legs and shoulders will feel good tomorrow.

Fun weekend. Love seeing and catching up with everyone. We can go 6 months between seeing each other but when we do, we just pick up where we left off. Pretty cool.

I told LJ beforehand that he was primed to win one and damn near did. He and I are kindred spirits, it's a shame we live 500+ miles apart. Default showed a ton of resilience in not throwing in the towel after that 2 mile wrong turn mistake. Must have been the Marlboros that gave him strength!

My running propelled me to victory again but my shooting has gotten much better, specifically over the last few months. @Mr_White and others from this forum have been a contributing factor in that area of improvement so thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 01-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Shot some handgun and AR in gear then did my first outdoor run since the weather was perfect (50 and sunny). It was tough but not terrible. Ran over hay fields on a big loops, one down hill and one up hill every .75 miles. Did 2 miles, took a 5 minute break, and ran another mile. Holding just under 10 minute miles was a bit humbling.

Running just one mag for each gun on my belt and then a hill people gear recon bag (pic below). The mag carrier attached to the HPG bag bounces a lot. Would rather just put the mags inside of it, but curious how the stages work, especially the rifle stage. Can I just dig a mag out of the HPG bag as I come in and load up from there? Any recommendations? Not the most comfortable I've ever been but I like the opportunity to push myself a little bit (including not carrying any water/food).

Name:  Snapchat-874111721.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  36.2 KB

I personally dislike the HPG set-up for running, too much bouncing and inhibits heat loss. I prefer having as much on the belt as possible.

This what i wore at the 2017 winter RNG

3 AR mags and a pistol in there with 2 pistol mags on the belt. Worked well for me.

ETA... come to think of it, I wore that setup ar Rockcastle too. Its a very compact deal with everything right there in your workspace. As I would come to a stage I'd grab a mag and stow it loosely in my front pocket. One huge advantage to keeping the pistol and AR mags in the kit bag was the monsoon that occurred the day of the Rockcastle match made for muddy conditions at the obstacles and caused alot malfunctions from guys crawling through deep mud. My gear was wet but not muddy so no problems for me.
    Last edited by FOG; 01-28-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the responses!

I'm going to take off the mag pouch and just put everything in the HPG set up. I also got the running bungy to help stabilize it.

I've avoided a full "battle" belt because I don't have much other use for it while I will hunt and hike with the HPG setup.

I'm going to run with it again this week (cold again so sticking to the treadmill) and continue to evaluate.

Anyone running barrel condoms or mag well blocks to prevent stuff getting in the gun?
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 02-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.

User Tag List