Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Summer registration is open. I'm signed up for the 20k.

My wife got signed up for the 10k and I'm in the 20k

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    My wife got signed up for the 10k and I'm in the 20k

That's the most badass thing I've heard all week. Although I have to say that if my wife was running it I'd try and run with her. Just means running slower...

Can't wait to sweat it out with you guys.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 04-04-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Mrs. FOG is pretty hardcore. She ran 10 miles Sunday, changed clothes then met me out on our "range" for 2 hours of shooting practice.

Mrs. FOG is pretty hardcore. She ran 10 miles Sunday, changed clothes then met me out on our "range" for 2 hours of shooting practice.

I've got serious FOG envy right now.

LJ, believe me, it's a blessing and a curse

Course of Fire is listed below. Overall, it appears to be more challenging than previous matches. Most discussed change is at stage 3. It's now a one shot one kill scenario. I'm looking forward to it.

Oklahoma Run 'n Gun

PAWNEE SUMMER RUN 'N GUN 2017 COURSE OF FIRE

10K Only Bonus Stage I – Adversaries in the Foliage: Shooter must draw pistol and get two hits each on two 8” targets from approximately 10 yards, holster pistol, load rifle, and get two hits each on three remaining 8” targets from 15 to 50 yards. Movement will be required to see all targets. (4 pistol, 6 rifle)

Stage 1 – Unwelcome Guest: With either rifle or pistol, shooter must advance through two "rooms" and engage two cardboard silhouettes at across-room distances. Shooter must get at least 3 hits in the 8.5"x11" vital zone in the upper chest, and one in the brain on each silhouette. Targets will be wearing clothing which will make the torso hits difficult to observe, so be sure to shoot until you are confident you have the required hits. Shooter must then proceed to a shooting box and flip the 6" head plate on a hostage taker target from approximately 25 yards to end the stage. DQ if the required hits are not made on the cardboard targets. (9 rifle or pistol)

Stage 2 – Strong Hand/Other Strong Hand: Shooter must advance to 1st position and get two pistol hits on the first target from approximately 15 yards, advance to 2nd position and get two hits on the second target from approximately 20 yards, and advance to last position and get three hits right hand ONLY, then three hits left hand ONLY from approximately 10 yards. Targets will be approximately 12”x16”. (10 pistol)

Stage 3 – Rifleman’s Quarter Mile: Shooter gets one shot at an 18”x24” torso target at 500 yards -- time limit one minute. Shooter may then take one shot from offhand standing – no solid rests allowed, one minute time limit. This will be an optional shot – those who make a hit will be entered into a drawing for something cool. (2 rifle)

Stage 4 – The Junkyard Revisited: Shooter must hit two 10” steel targets at approximately 150 yards and one 12x20” target at approximately 200 yards from three different obstacles that will require awkward positions. (9 rifle)

Stage 5 – Can-do Attitude: Shooter must deliver one ammo can from the “ammo dump” at the base of the hill to the flagpole before being allowed to shoot this stage. Shooter must get two rifle hits from top of VTAC board (may use board as rest), then get one hit through each of seven marked holes in VTAC board on a 12”x20” target at approximately 150 yards. (9 rifle)

10K Only Bonus Stage II – Pipe Hitter: Shooter must crawl under barbed wire and through pipe obstacle. Firing through the hole in the barricade at the end of the pipe, shooter must get three rifle hits on a 12”x20” target at approximately 150 yards. (3 rifle)

2 minute time limit on all stages – Stage 3 is 1 minute plus 1 minute for bonus standing shot.

Stage 3 – Rifleman’s Quarter Mile: Shooter gets one shot at an 18”x24” torso target at 500 yards -- time limit one minute. Shooter may then take one shot from offhand standing – no solid rests allowed, one minute time limit. This will be an optional shot – those who make a hit will be entered into a drawing for something cool. (2 rifle)
    I guess I'll be ditching the SBR for my 14.5" so I can actually have some holds.

I'm glad to see the stages are more challenging. Definitely intrigued by the 1 shot at 500. Better have a solid zero and know your wind calls...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_F View Post
    I ran the Winter/Spring Trekker put on by Hawkeye Ignite last weekend in Forest Lake, MN, and it was a blast. The format was a 2 hour time period to run a 1.5 mile course and shoot at four stages each lap, two rifle and two pistol. Stages were 15 second par times, with pistol shots at 15 - 20 yards and rifle at 50-250 yds, all on steel. First lap was 25 pts per target, then 15, then 10 on the third lap, but then increasing by 5 pts each lap after that. I'm not a great shot but I can run pretty well, so that's what I optimized for.

I loaded up my pack with everything you see here, minus two rifle mags I took out at the last minute. Carried 200 rifle and 250 pistol rounds, but shot only about half of that (103 rifle and 139 pistol).

I mounted the rifle by slipping the handguards through a strap on the bottom of the pack and attached to a QD swivel on the top. Lots of people ran slings, put in an Eberlestock pack, or actually just carried rifles, but this was fast for me and left both hands free. It worked great and I would do it again but just tie down the top strap so it wouldn't loosen as easily.

Lots of people ran with USPSA style holsters empty and just threw the pistol into their pack between stages. Some I think ran with retention holsters the whole time. I was the weirdo carrying AIWB. I used my CCC Gestalt for my P30 LEM, with an RCS Claw I added. I planned to just throw that all in my pack if it got too uncomfortable, but that never happened. I ended up doing 4.25 laps, so about 6.4 miles and it was comfortable and really fast. I did end up with a light bruise on my stomach the next day but I didn't notice anything during the run. It certainly helped that my pack is small on me so the hip strap was well above my hips, and that I'm a pretty thin guy.

This is the only picture I got of the stages. This was the long range rifle stage, with B/C steel targets, 3 at 50 yds, 2 at 150, and one at 250. Being a super novice on the rifle, I was quite proud of hitting all six targets in the 15 sec limit on two of the laps.

As I said, I'm not the greatest shooter but running was my strength here, so among the 29 people I managed to tie for second most stages and get into the top half of points, which is more than I expected. I'm definitely running the Summer Trekker this June.
    That's a really interesting format: fixed time with unknown distance and round count. I'm curious what you think about that vs fixed distance/min round count. Definitely requires different planning.

I really enjoyed the format and I think it made the race more open to people who with strengths in shooting (there were a few older guys who walked the whole thing) or running (like myself). The MD Adam Maxwell said on the 3 Gun Show podcast the format was based on a type of dirtbike competition. Additionally, if you hit all the targets you could re-engage so some people got 9 hits on that long range stage, which was seriously impressive.

The downside was that it made the whole thing difficult to plan. The distance of the loop and stage design weren't known or published beforehand, all we knew was 15 sec par times. I'm not sure if Adam wanted it mysterious or just didn't know himself, I think it's the latter. We had to adjust that morning setup because the trap fields was open, he wanted the course to go longer. All of that resulted in myself and most people carrying way too much ammo. But that was a fun part of the whole thing too, managing your magazines and trying to gauge where you were at. Luckily or not, depending on how you look at it, the other rifle stage ran slowly (two plate racks to set up then engage from a tower) so there was always a line, so I loaded up mags while waiting. The morning flight had fewer people so they didn't have to wait and therefore got more laps in, so that was another uneven part of the competition.

User Tag List