Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

I, uh, started running some.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Ran a 5k yesterday and was about 1:30 off of my PR. Course and weather weren't ideal and 800m is as far as I've ran straight until then so overall not too upset. Haven't done any shooting since getting a rough zero and checking ammo a while back, need to work on that.

Whelp, I confirmed what I had feared: running with kit fucking sucks dick. Also, fuck Houston; how the fuck there are still mosquitoes in December?

My usual 10k times are around an 8:30 pace; I'm also trying to train for the Houston Marathon at the same time. I'm also about ~140 lbs., so not the greatest build for rucking.

I ran today basically with what I'd be using at the event: Tyr war belt with suspenders, Safariland 6004, suppressed 10.5" with an SOB Bitch sling, Aimpoint, and magnifier, Salomon trail runners, running shirt, soft shell pants. Race day will have a couple more loaded mags, knee caps, and gloves. Did two two-mile sections, the first section was done at about an ~11:30 pace, 5 minute rest, second section at about a ~12:45 pace. It was dark as Hell, so I ran with a headlamp; terrain was relatively flat, high grass, some minor holes, lots of puddles (hence the mosquitoes, I guess), was about ~65° F. Shoes were soaked by the end, went ass over tea kettle at one juncture when I hit a hole, and almost faceplanted a couple times beyond that due to mud piles (no, I was not familiar with the terrain).

I am very confident that by race day I will be able to maintain a ~14:00 pace throughout; hoping for a ~12:00 pace, but that's probably unrealistic. Not sure if I will be carrying water; I regularly run a half-marathon route without drinking anything, but that's unencumbered, and I sweated a lot today (relatively speaking), but I also went in without much hydration through the day (not the greatest of ideas). I originally tried running with the rifle slung tight against my back, muzzle down. Worked okay, but the magnifier mount started getting annoying after awhile, and the suppressor would occasionally bang into my pistol. The second segment, I resorted to having it slung tight up front, with my hands loosely keeping it from bouncing, while also allowing it to swing with the rhythm of my run, which I liked much better. The drop leg holster did not bother me much, probably due to the fact that it's mounted up very high, with fairly little weight on the leg itself. The plan is to do a kitted-up run once a week, in conjunction with the other running I've been doing; I'd do more, but Monday is the only day that I have access to a space where I can run with kit on without having the cops called on me. Sunday might eventually open up, too.

Side note, the T-2 does indeed have a way crisper dot than a T-1, especially with the magnifier. Good investment, assuming I can figure out dope for the damn thing at 500 yards.

That's funny right there! Running with a load is different that's why I switched to a weapon carrying pack, while it does add a few pounds, the ease of carrying weapon and gear is worth it IMO. My buddy just bought a Eberlestock Lo-Drag, it's noticeably bigger than my Gun Runner but he likes it b/c the scabbard area is larger and it's easier to get your rifle in and out.

Training has been interrupted the last month. I have managed to squeeze in a 4 mile trail run (w/ a loaded pack) once a week but that's about it. LA Police Gear had a huge discount on the vented Vertx pants so I picked up a pair. Pretty pleased with them so far.

I bought a VP9 and a shot timer and have been doing some of the drills in the DOTW sub-forum. I'm getting where I don't suck quite so bad with a pistol. I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x for my Colt 6920 and plan to get in some long range practice soon. Also bought 200 rounds of 69 grain match grade ammo to try out.
    Last edited by FOG; 12-15-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    That's funny right there! Running with a load is different that's why I switched to a weapon carrying pack, while it does add a few pounds, the ease of carrying weapon and gear is worth it IMO. My buddy just bought a Eberlestock Lo-Drag, it's noticeably bigger than my Gun Runner but he likes it b/c the scabbard area is larger and it's easier to get your rifle in and out.

Training has been interrupted the last month. I have managed to squeeze in a 4 mile trail run (w/ a loaded pack) once a week but that's about it. LA Police Gear had a huge discount on the vented Vertx pants so I picked up a pair. Pretty pleased with them so far.

I bought a VP9 and a shot timer and have been doing some of the drills in the DOTW sub-forum. I'm getting where I don't suck quite so bad with a pistol. I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x for my Colt 6920 and plan to get in some long range practice soon. Also bought 200 rounds of 69 grain match grade ammo to try out.
    I helped a friend get his Strike Eagle sighted in recently (on a Tavor!) and it's a nice little scope for the money. I have been somewhat tempted to pick one up just for the extra magnification for this event but I think I'm going to make it with my existing Accupoint.

Meanwhile I really need to be running and figuring out my load bearing setup in better detail.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

So, what's the best hotel to stay in? I would like to be pretty close to the site, if possible.

I was going to blow my wad and get the Razor 1-6 but at the last minute I chickened out and went the cheaper route. You're right, it's not bad for the $$. Darn thing is bright as heck for sure.

Did my weekly 4 mile loaded run tonite.. would like to say it's getting easier but no, it still sucks. Immediately afterwards, shot the pistol at steel at 20 yds then transitioned to rifle, ran back to 150 yds and did the vtac board. That thing at 150 kicks my butt. I bet there will be more than a few DQ'S on that stage unless the target is big.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So, what's the best hotel to stay in? I would like to be pretty close to the site, if possible.

I think there's a small motel in Pawnee but I don't know anything about it. There's so many coming from out of town that it may already be full. If that's the case, then the Holiday Inn in Sand Springs would be your best bet. I think that where LJ stayed. It's about 30 min or so from the match.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FOG,

I'm leaning towards staying in stillwater. Looks like I can take 177 to 15 and not take too long. Does that sound right?

Also, what is the smallest rifle target? Sounds like a big piece of steel at 500, but what about the others?
    Last edited by SLG; 12-15-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    FOG,

I'm leaning towards staying in stillwater. Looks like I can take 177 to 15 and not take too long. Does that sound right?

Also, what is the smallest rifle target? Sounds like a big piece of steel at 500, but what about the others?
    Stillwater is what I was going to recommend, I've made that drive a lot and it's not bad.

User Tag List