Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USAF Academy M9 Training

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    COL. Cooper suggested that either cocking the hammer first (like drawing a 1911 with the hammer down and a round chambered) or simply throwing the first round downrange to get to the single action mode could work. While the latter suggestion is sort of silly in a civilian setting, if it's a two way rifle match, no big deal.
    Actually, he discussed at least four different ways to run a DA trigger. He compared the advantages and disadvantages of each. The "shot cocking" method was mentioned because it had worked in classes and people had won the shoot-off with the technique.

What he recommended as the preferred technique was the "Weaver System of Trigger Control." This was defined in 1996as: "In this method the weapon is fired by cocking it with the trigger finger on the way up." This sounds identical to a proper pressout.

See Jeff's Commentares: Vol.4 No. 1, Vol. 6 No. 11, Vol. 4 No. 16, and Vol. 4 No. 7.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The best way to get better at double-action shooting is to. . . shoot double action.
    The Dot Torture is good for it, as are pastie drills.
    About half of my students would shoot smaller double-action groups than single action (not counting those that are shooting patterns), after a day's worth of DA work.
    Concur. One of the biggest hurdles to learning to shoot a TDA pistol is finding an instructor who believes it's possible. Someone who wants to tell you to buy another gun because "two trigger pulls is too hard to learn" simply doesn't know how to do it himself. Back in the 90's when I was part of the CCW instructor cadre at the NRA Range I'd regularly steal TDA-shooting students from non-TDA shooting instructors and with an hour of instruction, shazzam, they could hit the target with either trigger pull as well or better than the 1911- and Glock-shooting students.

The drill I always used to work the DA/SA transition was to put up two 3x5 cards at 7yd. Draw, fire DA to one card, transition to the other card and fire one SA shot. Repeat, repeat, repeat. As F2S said, the trick to having better DA skill is to shoot DA. Too many people empty their mags firing only the first round DA (or not even that). Back when SLG and I were shooting together multiple times per week we both shot SIGs. I'd guess about 1/3rd of all the shots we fired were double action.

Press-drills are not rocket science.
    Lies! All lies! Press-outs are super secret ninja techniques and you have to come to class to learn to do them right!

The goal is not to make the gun go off just because your arms are fully extended, but rather because your trigger control and sight management during the press permit you to hit.
    That's an excellent explanation.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll definitely be trying that 3x5 drill and maybe dot torture. I think I'll need to master the trigger at full extension before I start working back to the holster, though.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Lies! All lies! Press-outs are super secret ninja techniques and you have to come to class to learn to do them right!
    Well shoot. Any classes in CO coming up?
    my fingers for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I think I'll need to master the trigger at full extension before I start working back to the holster, though.
    That is generally the accepted training model.

Had a chance to repeat this class today, and it went much better.

Looks like my feedback actually reached the instructor; I never saw him flag his hand or the students.

Shot better as well. All DA shots were in; missed 5 SA shots out of 30 total shots. Now I realize what people mean when they say DA is easier. I think I was flinching on SA.
    my fingers for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post

It also surprises a lot of .mil folks that the M9 can supply suppressive fire out to 200m or so. Takes some practice, but handgun rounds are not as feeble as some think.

Lol.I'm def not arguing with you, but this quote is straight up NutnFancy status.

NutnFancy status.
    TBK, I hate that guy. Seriously.

As for use, please note that Seabiscuit will be a USAF Officer when he graduates. Having been in the sandbox with an M9 for my PDW, shots at excessive ranges were probable. With an M9 and a roll over prone position, effective range can be surprising.

That's encouraging. And if I need to use my M9 as a pilot, I'll need some encouragement.
    my fingers for battle.

SB, we had several rated pilots, logistic folks and a navigator operating in ground roles.

User Tag List