Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P-F's Thoughts on Springfield LW Frames? Or, where to from here?

Quote Originally Posted by WDH View Post
    Thank you!

I've been looking at this from y'all: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wir...oductinfo/651/

Is this what you would recommend? And as for modifying the kit, will I be focusing on the reverse spring plug?

Shoot the heck out of it, I will...

yes-the plug will need some modification to fit..with a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    WDH, thanks for posting your questions. I recently acquired an Operator LW (5") gun and had the same concerns as to the alloy frame and long term durability/reliability. I'm looking to get a steel frame gun in the future but the LW is going to have to get me through for a while. Bill R., SLG, Wilson Combat Rep, you guys have any suggestions on a 5" gun over the Champion aside from mags? Do the shok-buffs help or is that a no-no? Also, I've read where some mag followers (Chip McCormick?) leave a gouge in the frame under the feed ramp, is that a big concern?
    No shok buffs in barrels shorter than 5". I would only use a magazine with a polymer or bullnose metal follower with an alloy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Really interesting because Jody Joseph, the JoJo's guy, ten or more years ago flat out told me to run seven round magazines in my steel five inch 1911 pistols for utmost reliability, and to skip alloy 1911 pistols.
    The 7 round magazine is very reliable because the 1911 magazine causes the top round to nose down as more rounds are added to the stack. A 10 rd can have lower feed reliability in some guns with short or shallow feedramps because of that. The 7rd has also has long follower legs that track well in the tube.

In the old days, alloy guns were frowned upon mostly because Colt lightweights were prone to cracking at the dustcover. Why? They were too thin mostly.
    Newer guns are beefier in certain areas that used to regularly crack on a Colt. When they crack they still work.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    The 7 round magazine is very reliable because the 1911 magazine causes the top round to nose down as more rounds are added to the stack. A 10 rd can have lower feed reliability in some guns with short or shallow feedramps because of that. The 7rd has also has long follower legs that track well in the tube.

In the old days, alloy guns were frowned upon mostly because Colt lightweights were prone to cracking at the dustcover. Why? They were too thin mostly.
    Newer guns are beefier in certain areas that used to regularly crack on a Colt. When they crack they still work.
    Jody didn't like alloy because he said while he could guarantee a steel five inch to run, the alloy was more iffy as to reliability.

Is there a seven round ETM mag, and if not, can you get much of the benefit of a seven round mag by only loading seven cartridges in an eight round mag?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

..with a lathe
    Believe me, I would never try to do this mod on my kitchen table. I'll definitely seek out someone who knows what they're doing. Plus, I don't think I'd be able to pull it off with a Leatherman and some left-over sandpaper.

Bill, please disregard my question re: magazines. I found your answer here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....houghts/page20

No shok buffs in barrels shorter than 5". I would only use a magazine with a polymer or bullnose metal follower with an alloy gun.
    If I can interject with a question: does that include the springer LWs with the fully ramped barrel? Thanks a ton for your input, btw.

Site Supporter
    I shoot the 1911 platform better than any other. However I don't like the weight for all day carry, and I just don't see many people who use the 1911 for living carry the LW versions. Maybe this is a misperception, but it's a clue for me. I mean that in the most respectful way.

I have a lot of luck with alloy Commander-length guns. I run 8 round Wilsons in practice and carry 7 round Wilsons. I don't shoot as much as most and I don't shoot these guns all the time -- it's more fun to practice with 9mms -- so take it for what it's worth,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is there a seven round ETM mag, and if not, can you get much of the benefit of a seven round mag by only loading seven cartridges in an eight round mag?
    Full size ETM's are are not available as 7 rounders. The reason the ETM is Wilson's top 8 rounder is the tube is longer than the 47 series, that uses the same tube length for both the 47 (7 rounder) and 47D (8 rounder). The ETM was designed from the ground up as an 8 rounder.

In my opinion, you get a better spring and follower in the 47 over the 47D. You could put 7 rounds in a 47D, but then you'd still have the lesser follower and spring. If you have a bunch of 47D's, I'm pretty sure you could put replacement 47 spring and follower kits in them to get a 7 round mag if that's what you wanted to do.

User Tag List