Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reccomendations for a full sized .45.

Reccomendations for a full sized .45.

Had a couple of 1911's. Time to move on. What are some solid .45's out there? Guns with an outstanding reputation for reliability? Size and weight are not an issue. I want a manual safety, (ambidextrous or convertible) as I am left handed.

Again, reliability is the single biggest issue. I want a plug and play weapon; no tweaking required. Seems like the more I read on the internet the less I know. I now think I have read TOO much and am all mixed up.

Help in Georgia.

HK45 or HK45c or the slightly cheaper used market USPc 45.

m&P45 is a great striker fired and has a safety option.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    HK45 or HK45c or the slightly cheaper used market USPc 45.

m&P45 is a great striker fired and has a safety option.
    This.

We were an early adopter of M&P 45s and they have proven very reliable and accurate. I am a 1911 guy and like the M&P 45. I used to own and carry a couple Glock 45's (10+ years, 20k rds). They were also reliable and accurate, but I don't find them as "shootable" as the M&P.

There is much dislike for the PX4 on this forum, but here is review from the late Stephen A. Camp http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...etta%20PX4.htm

In addition to the HK45 and USPc, the full size HK USP would also be a good choice. http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/usp/

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    Had a couple of 1911's. Time to move on. What are some solid .45's out there? Guns with an outstanding reputation for reliability? Size and weight are not an issue. I want a manual safety, (ambidextrous or convertible) as I am left handed.

Again, reliability is the single biggest issue. I want a plug and play weapon; no tweaking required. Seems like the more I read on the internet the less I know. I now think I have read TOO much and am all mixed up.

Help in Georgia.
    S&W M&P .45
    #RESIST

As other have stated, the HK 45 / HK 45 Compact & the USP series in .45 would be my first picks. I also had an M&P 45 with thumb safety a few years back that was an excellent shooter.

What ff said.

Oddly enough I kinds liked the FN .45, not striker fired, the DA/SA hammer fired version guns, but they can be carried condition 1 if you want, which you might since you have 1911 experience.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    What ff said.

Oddly enough I kinds liked the FN .45, not striker fired, the DA/SA hammer fired version guns, but they can be carried condition 1 if you want, which you might since you have 1911 experience.
    Only problem I noticed with the FNs in my short time with them was the magazines have a little metal lip on the front. If you happen to use non-kydex mag pouches that's a potential snag point.

Between the FNX45 and the HK45 I went with the HK. Less round count and I had to have the basepads filed down but it's been a flawless shooter ever since. The FNX on the other hand has the out of box ability to take an optic and has a higher round count/grip if you don't plan on concealed carry. Honestly you'll probably be happy with whichever one just fits your hand better.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I have no experience with the HK, but will add my vote in favor of the M&P. It's a very reliable and shootable handgun.

User Tag List