Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    A folding stock M1 carbine (Choate, I believe makes the stocks) might be an alternative. You don't need a lot of range, and being able to say you used an old WWII rifle might have some utility.
    Thought about that, too. I think Kahr (aka Auto Ordnance) still makes a decent replica; no way in hell I'd use a genuine one for this. Nah, I think the fall-back on my experience and training is the approach to take on this issue. We were using carbines before carbines became cool (thanks to LSP552), so I've got quite a bit of both on paper.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I've been a factory cert'ed Ruger armorer, maintained a batch of them, carried a few on patrol, and took them to some multi-day, 1k rd+ classes.
    This is an awesome post!!!

Thanks so much for your insight into the mini.

I have some experience with the newer 580 and 581 series guns which I will post when I get to a better machine than my phone.

Fulton armory makes a good but expensive m1 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Thought about that, too. I think Kahr (aka Auto Ordnance) still makes a decent replica; no way in hell I'd use a genuine one for this. Nah, I think the fall-back on my experience and training is the approach to take on this issue. We were using carbines before carbines became cool (thanks to LSP552), so I've got quite a bit of both on paper.

Carbines are good. Right now it looks like cities and towns on the Mississippi river might have a bigger threat potential than elsewhere. For my own East Coast perspective, where I don't think the threat level is as high, I've been thinking of a relatively cheap used 30/30 with a decent low power scope. I like the way a 30/30 can punch through some metal if needed, I don't think it is likely I would need to shoot over 100 yards, and a "deer rifle" would sound better than a "high powered military style automatic assault rifle with a large capacity clip as was used in the Sandy Hook shooting."

I also think a couple of shots would likely be enough where I live.

Not sure about there on the banks of the Mississippi, though, especially when the federal government seems to be deliberately trying to stir things up. You might be facing some people with semi-auto AKs and the like. (And if you are facing that, an Aimpoint might be very, very nice to have).

Agreed. I looked at one yesterday. But anyone who thinks the ATF is going to let "the one that got away" from them continue to slide… well, good luck with that.

Well my question is Since I still have an AR pistol setup with the Brace, if I have to use it will it really matter. I know I will be vilified if I use it in a self defense scenario. Also it is a pistol so in some states you cannot have a loaded rifle in truck/car. I also shoot it once a quarter to verify zero. I have a A2 carry handle on it. I don't know but this is part of the reason why I built one. Flash mob I can put a lot of lead on target with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    You might be facing some people with semi-auto AKs and the like. (And if you are facing that, an Aimpoint might be very, very nice to have).
    Funny thing, that. I get to see just about everything that the local (and that encompasses pretty much all of southeastern Louisiana, minus the Greater New orleans cesspool) "authorities" sweep up off the street.

When I first stated this lab gig, we were seeing two or three AKs a week. Now, five years later, we see one every month or so; if that. I dunno if its because we got most of them already, they're keeping them stashed for The Revolution, or its due to the fact that you can no longer walk into a gun store or gun show, lay down a couple of hundred bucks, and walk out with a "chopper" and a case of Mekong Match.

Still, your point is valid. All it takes is one, and a non-traditional shopper/seeker-of-justice who knows how to use it.

In any case, I'll cross that bridge when I get the Ruger in my hands. Apparently, they have been selling like rainbow decals in Orlando in September; Lipsey's has them "on allocation", which is never a good sign in terms of availability.

Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Funny thing, that. I get to see just about everything that the local (and that encompasses pretty much all of southeastern Louisiana, minus the Greater New orleans cesspool) "authorities" sweep up off the street.

When I first stated this lab gig, we were seeing two or three AKs a week. Now, five years later, we see one every month or so; if that. I dunno if its because we got most of them already, they're keeping them stashed for The Revolution, or its due to the fact that you can no longer walk into a gun store or gun show, lay down a couple of hundred bucks, and walk out with a "chopper" and a case of Mekong Match.

Still, your point is valid. All it takes is one, and a non-traditional shopper/seeker-of-justice who knows how to use it.

In any case, I'll cross that bridge when I get the Ruger in my hands. Apparently, they have been selling like rainbow decals in Orlando in September; Lipsey's has them "on allocation", which is never a good sign in terms of availability.

Stock up on factory 20 rounders! Also, check Davidson's (if there's issues with it, at all, they'll replace it) and Sports South.

ETA:
    Davidson's has a bunch of variants in stock, according to Gallery Of Guns
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 03-14-2015 at 07:57 PM.

LSP,
    If you're so inclined, you could look at an Arsenal SLR-107FR. It features the newer AK 100 series side folding stock, and is chambered in the ubiquitous 7.62x39mm. While not as svelte a choice as the 6720, 7.62x39mm pills will likely deter any baddies, as well as make short work of any shitty cover they might be using.

While it's certainly not a PC choice, Arsenal makes damned fine AK, and I prefer this stock over the underfolders.

Anyways, best of luck to you. Stay safe, sir.

LSP, you keep mentioning the Ruger AR-556. I would suggest looking at the S&W Sport instead. They cost about twenty bucks more but I'd take one over the Ruger even then.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    LSP,
    If you're so inclined, you could look at an Arsenal SLR-107FR. It features the newer AK 100 series side folding stock, and is chambered in the ubiquitous 7.62x39mm. While not as svelte a choice as the 6720, 7.62x39mm pills will likely deter any baddies, as well as make short work of any shitty cover they might be using.

While it's certainly not a PC choice, Arsenal makes damned fine AK, and I prefer this stock over the underfolders.

Anyways, best of luck to you. Stay safe, sir.
    The 107FR is a great rifle but at $200 above the going rate a colt AR its not quite an expendable car gun.

The Ruger DI gun is fairly new, if availability is an issue you should be able to find a S&W Sport in the Mid $500's.

User Tag List