Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Good idea on the face of it… but odds are that if I need the carbine, I'll need it pretty quickly and with little or no warning. Plan A is to just drive away from (or through) the threat.

OTOH, I really do need a more sturdy backpack, for if I have to transition to LPC (leather personnel carrier) mode. Nedd to check some of those out…

I use a Colt 6720 as my vacation gun to keep in the trunk. But during my day-to-daylife, I seem to find myself either coming or going to work. During these times I will have my work carbine in the trunk if driving to or from work (14.5" BCM ELW-f with 13" KMR rail).

But with my work needs removed, I have thought of carrying a long gun in the car. This would be for times when on long trips (100 miles or greater) or on vacation somewhere. The ability to use a long gun with little to no warning, especially within the car, has me thinking of other concepts than breaking an AR down.

I'm really considering buying a Tavor bull pup for this purpose. The gun can be stored in many of the same carriers that a broken down AR would fit into. It could be deployed in the same manner as an SBR, but without the legal hassle of interstate travel associated with an SBR.

Site Supporter
    I have been watching this thread with interest. I picked up a Para TTR top end and built an AR with a folding stock. That rifle in a benign case might fit that bill.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I use a Colt 6720 as my vacation gun to keep in the trunk. But during my day-to-daylife, I seem to find myself either coming or going to work. During these times I will have my work carbine in the trunk if driving to or from work (14.5" BCM ELW-f with 13" KMR rail).

But with my work needs removed, I have thought of carrying a long gun in the car. This would be for times when on long trips (100 miles or greater) or on vacation somewhere. The ability to use a long gun with little to no warning, especially within the car, has me thinking of other concepts than breaking an AR down.

I'm really considering buying a Tavor bull pup for this purpose. The gun can be stored in many of the same carriers that a broken down AR would fit into. It could be deployed in the same manner as an SBR, but without the legal hassle of interstate travel associated with an SBR.
    This is where the SIG brace pistols would really shine.

Indeed, a thought-provoking conumdrum.

First, the availability issue. What has my immediate concern aroused now is how bloody FAST (think flash mob) these savages can organize, and appear seemingly out of thin air. That is a local-to-me problem, aggravated by the fact that of the four different routes I can use to get from my home to my workplace- which itself is on the DMZ- and/or back again, the two most expeditious ones run right through the heart of serious Indian country. The two safer routes are a tremendous roundabout, one involving crossing and re-crossing the Mississippi River. IOW, a last resort for when the threat indicator is in the red zone. We've had a couple of those times in recent memory, and the carbine was riding on the passenger seat next to me… un-cased.

When traveling/vacation/etc., I keep the carbine cased, "in the back" (in what passes for a trunk in a soccer-mom-mobile crossover). IOW, different responses for different threat levels.

Second issue… what long gun? The bullpup concept does indeed kill several birds with one rock. But, as noted earlier, my limited experience with the idea did not impress me in the slightest. Not saying the concept isn't valid, just that it isn't valid for ME. No doubt I could learn it fairly easily, but it just doesn't make sense to do that at this stage of my life. Besides, as also noted earlier, I have a really good "urban camouflage" carrier that a 16" carbine will fit into. And NO way am I gonna get on that Class 3 radar scope. As far as I'm concerned (and I mean this seriously, not trying to be ugly), Class 3 SBR/SBS guys and can owners are a great early warning trip wire for the rest of us… because, since they know exactly where to find them, who do you think the feds are gonna snarf up first??? I understand that you're talking about an issued company gun; I dunno whether you have personally-owned Class 3 stuff or not, and don't WANT to know.

My consideration of the Mini-14 was primarily cost (I had no idea Ruger had gotten so proud of them), and, to a lesser extent, the "good old boy" as opposed to the "Rambo wanna-be killer" perception that can be present regarding these two rifles. After a bit of thought, I realized the ridiculousness of that second consideration; given current attitudes and conditions, I'll be vilified in certain quarters even if I use a frigging flintlock. So. FIDO.

However, the cost angle is still there. I see absolutely zero reason to "go large" here; all I need is something reliable and accurate. I don't need the latest/greatest/operationally operating operator-approved mid-length Noveske/LaRue/Daniel Defense/whatever-is-hot-this-week platform. The more I look into the Ruger AR556, the more interested I become. Monday, I'll start calling my local contacts and try to round one up the easy way. The largest Ruger distributor in the United States is right here in town, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is where the SIG brace pistols would really shine.
    Agreed. I looked at one yesterday. But anyone who thinks the ATF is going to let "the one that got away" from them continue to slide… well, good luck with that.

First, the availability issue. What has my immediate concern aroused now is how bloody FAST (think flash mob) these savages can organize, and appear seemingly out of thin air. That is a local-to-me problem, aggravated by the fact that of the four different routes I can use to get from my home to my workplace- which itself is on the DMZ- and/or back again, the two most expeditious ones run right through the heart of serious Indian country. The two safer routes are a tremendous roundabout, one involving crossing and re-crossing the Mississippi River. IOW, a last resort for when the threat indicator is in the red zone. We've had a couple of those times in recent memory, and the carbine was riding on the passenger seat next to me… un-cased.

When traveling/vacation/etc., I keep the carbine cased, "in the back" (in what passes for a trunk in a soccer-mom-mobile crossover). IOW, different responses for different threat levels.

Second issue… what long gun? The bullpup concept does indeed kill several birds with one rock. But, as noted earlier, my limited experience with the idea did not impress me in the slightest. Not saying the concept isn't valid, just that it isn't valid for ME. No doubt I could learn it fairly easily, but it just doesn't make sense to do that at this stage of my life. Besides, as also noted earlier, I have a really good "urban camouflage" carrier that a 16" carbine will fit into. And NO way am I gonna get on that Class 3 radar scope. As far as I'm concerned (and I mean this seriously, not trying to be ugly), Class 3 SBR/SBS guys and can owners are a great early warning trip wire for the rest of us… because, since they know exactly where to find them, who do you think the feds are gonna snarf up first??? I understand that you're talking about an issued company gun; I dunno whether you have personally-owned Class 3 stuff or not, and don't WANT to know.

My consideration of the Mini-14 was primarily cost (I had no idea Ruger had gotten so proud of them), and, to a lesser extent, the "good old boy" as opposed to the "Rambo wanna-be killer" perception that can be present regarding these two rifles. After a bit of thought, I realized the ridiculousness of that second consideration; given current attitudes and conditions, I'll be vilified in certain quarters even if I use a frigging flintlock. So. FIDO.

However, the cost angle is still there. I see absolutely zero reason to "go large" here; all I need is something reliable and accurate. I don't need the latest/greatest/operationally operating operator-approved mid-length Noveske/LaRue/Daniel Defense/whatever-is-hot-this-week platform. The more I look into the Ruger AR556, the more interested I become. Monday, I'll start calling my local contacts and try to round one up the easy way. The largest Ruger distributor in the United States is right here in town, so maybe I'll get lucky.

A folding stock M1 carbine (Choate, I believe makes the stocks) might be an alternative. You don't need a lot of range, and being able to say you used an old WWII rifle might have some utility.

Site Supporter
    Agreed. I looked at one yesterday. But anyone who thinks the ATF is going to let "the one that got away" from them continue to slide… well, good luck with that.

I agree - just lamenting.

Just curious. Does LSP issue / allow AR patrol rifles ?

If so, I would rather argue I went with the gun I trained on and used to protect the people of LA for X of years than the "good old boy" argument.

You are bringing up some interesting points.

While I have been kicking around the concept of a Tavor since they were introduced, I don't own one. The thing holding me back is that I am too old to learn a new system for such a limited usage. Not to mention the cost of one isn't cheap.

You definitely are in a unique position as to your potential threat and the need to prepare for it. Your "urban Camouflage" carrier is the way to go if not going with an SBR, AR pistol or a bull pup.

I personally wouldn't consider a Class 3 weapon for the purpose you are trying to prepare for. Potential for too many additional legal issues. Even as a LEO, I really don't want to get on the wrong side of Class 3 and the ATF. The SIG brace is a valid idea, but I agree that the ATF isn't done with that one yet. That leaves a 16" AR in my opinion.

I wasn't even aware that Ruger had made a DI AR until I read this topic. So I obviously have no experience with the gun. IF it's made somewhat close to spec and is reliable, then for the price, it's the way to go for you. If it's not as reliable as you might want, then I'd strongly consider looking into a Colt 6720, for a couple of hundred more.

Age has left my eyes to the point where I really appreciate a good RDS vs. iron sights. I spent the extra few bucks and bought a Pinpoint PRO for my traveling 6720. If you shop around on Memorial day, places like LAPG has sales that brings a PRO down to the $360 range. But if you're eyes aged better than mine did and you want to stay with iron sights, I might consider replacing the folding rear sight on that Ruger with a DD fixed rear sight. Add something simple and cheap like a Blackhawk Rifle bandoleer and you have a quick and somewhat effective manner to grab and carry a few extra magazines should you have to abandon your car.

There are a lot of topics on the internet dealing around survivalism and preparedness. The favorite topics seem to be Bug Out Bags and trunk guns. Most of them are very unrealistic scenarios and enough gear to outfit a rifle squad. Your topic is much more realistic and thought provoking. You got me thinking. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree - just lamenting.

Just curious. Does LSP issue / allow AR patrol rifles ?

If so, I would rather argue I went with the gun I trained on and used to protect the people of LA for X of years than the "good old boy" argument.
    Indeed they do; in fact, it is an issue item for everyone now, not just SWAT.

And the "trained on and used to protect" angle is what I intend to use. Great minds think alike…

Age has left my eyes to the point where I really appreciate a good RDS vs. iron sights.
    Mine as well, most definitely… to the point I'm finally realizing that I need to start carrying the RDS-equipped pistols I had built a while back for the purpose.

I'm going to try the "irons" on that Ruger when I get one. If I can still use aperture sights well enough to put the bullets where I want to on a silhouette at 50 yards, then I won't bother with an RDS. That's one of those things that has to evolve. I have three Colts (6520, 6720, 6920), and all have RDS mounted; two AimPoints and an InSight MRDS. Been using red dot sights on a carbine since the early 90s, so I am well aware of their superiority. But for something like this, for a weapon that will be left basically un-attended until I remember to check it… simpler is better.

Yeah, some of the 'bug out' discussions can get pretty amusing; especially by the folks who have never been in a full-blown evacuation and have no clue how FUBAR that scenario is. And that's when the cops are trying to keep order. A for-real, every-man-for-himself "bug-out"? Good lord, I don't want to even think about that. Which is why I decided, long ago, that I'm "bugging in"…

User Tag List