Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    With SCR rifle production coming back online, it's hard for me to understand any new Ruger sales.

https://fightlite.com/lowers/scr-rifle-lowers
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    With SCR rifle production coming back online, it's hard for me to understand any new Ruger sales.

The pepper stock really does it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Is there a place to get 0.050 stainless steel gas bushings for the Mini-14? I know that there are aluminum bushings from Accuracy Systems, but I never got around to the idea of a gas bushing made from aluminum. A while back, there was someone on one of the Ruger forums offering steel bushings.

Hmmm. Well, earlier this week the Washington state House passed an assault weapons ban, which will likely also pass in the Senate; our governor will sign it with relish in a heartbeat. A Mini-14/Mini-30 is one of the few semi-auto rifles not on the ban list (a SKS somewhat surprisingly is, but maybe I shouldn't be so surprised). A Mini sans Tactical Timmy stuff may be a viable choice, at least until the ban is ruled unconstitutional, as I suspect it eventually will. Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    That's why I have a plain jane Mini-14. But be aware, it will be figured out. Canada and Norway banned them after rampages. Get nut with one and kiss them goodbye. That is unless Clarence and company actually do something specific about AWBs. Don't hold your breath on that. I'm coming around to the viewpoint that they don't want to or don't have the votes to do such. The Ruger PCCs and now the Henrys and then the Bond levers are folks seeing more inclusive bans coming down the pike while Clarence and Company fart around with the majesty of court procedures.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Those are really interesting. Anyone credible we know done any testing/vetting/fielding of them?

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I built up a Fightlite SCR for my all-State/California rifle. I don't live in CA, but I have friends there and I visit. Therefore, I want a rifle that is legal, but is as effective as it can be. The current configuration is an amalgam of the two pics below. The top pic is the original. I am still using the same scope, which is a Leupold 1.5x5 with a 5.56mm BDC. I ended up using the lightweight upper for my daughter's rifle built on a KE Arms KP15 lower.

The second pic shows the current upper, but with a scout scope (Hi-Lux 2-7x) EER Scout scope. I mounted it for shits and giggles and I have to say that eye relief and sight height is perfect. You'll notice the front ring is on the handguard. I never shot it this way, so I don't know if it would retain zero, assuming it could be be zeroed, but there you go. Anyway, that is the current upper with the original Leupold optic. Zero malfunctions.

If you are going to build one, I recommend an upper receiver without a forward assist. Aero Precision makes a good one. Since it uses an abbreviated bolt carrier that is incompatible with the forward assist anyway, might as well do without. Because the charging handle is really close to the hand, using the left hand the way you normally do with a standard AR is cramped. It is much easier to hold the forend with the left hand and rack the bolt with the right. The next tip is to set it up with an ambi charging handle. Another reason for an upper receiver without a forward assist. It can't be used anyway and it can get in the way of running the charging handle.

For CA, I have a dump pouch with a half dozen 10rd mags. They're also good for the range and shooting from a bag. An ambidextrous mag release works really well because the standard is to far forward for your trigger finger. An ambi mag release is right under your left thumb as you grasp the mag with your left hand.

The Leupold is a better scope. There are better scopes than the Leupold because it is kind of old and the illumination is not enough for daylight, but I had it. The "defect" is height. It is as low as I can get it, but it is still a little too high. I should add a cheek riser to the stock. The 1" Hi-Lux is a perfect height.

Name:  IMG_E1684.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  IMG_E1683.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  331320125_218629264003615_4109019390749912277_n.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  95.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Those are really interesting. Anyone credible we know done any testing/vetting/fielding of them?

Best, Jon
    The Fightlight complete lowers are $699 plus tax, shipping, and FFL fees. Combine this with an upper, and you're at or above the (obscene) price of a new mini-14 or mini-30. You can save a couple hundred bucks by finding a used one. The mini-14/30, with all it's faults, is a known quantity. Parts are available and Ruger is a solid company, in for the long haul.

I have nothing bad to say about the Fightlight, but when a deal on a used 580 series mini-14 came up a few months ago, I grabbed it.

But with the Fightlite lower and a decent AR upper you should get better accuracy and it uses AR magazines.

That takes care of the two main negatives of the Mini 14 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Hmmm. Well, earlier this week the Washington state House passed an assault weapons ban, which will likely also pass in the Senate; our governor will sign it with relish in a heartbeat. A Mini-14/Mini-30 is one of the few semi-auto rifles not on the ban list (a SKS somewhat surprisingly is, but maybe I shouldn't be so surprised). A Mini sans Tactical Timmy stuff may be a viable choice, at least until the ban is ruled unconstitutional, as I suspect it eventually will. Best, Jon
    I just read this. I'm in WA and own a Mini. It appears to me that it is restricted for future sale or transfer within the state. It isn't on the list but features include shrouds over the barrel which both my Mini and M-1 carbine have. That might have been added in the last few days, IDK. I'm going to consider it restricted anyway.

Makes little difference to me. If I need to sell either I can have a dealer ship to a buyer out-of-state. If you have one you can keep it which is what I will do. Those and AR's should be a big hit at the range for new shooters in a few years. You know, like a Thompson or MP-40 would be for a boomer. How the hell did you get one of those?

That bill is still in committee but sure to pass into law.

I'm sure that dealers here stocked up on AR's months ago and sold every one they had, even with the mag restrictions already in place. If you owned the 20's before last summer you're GTG.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-19-2023 at 08:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List