Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I have a GII showing up next week as well as the .308 FAMAE.

Traditionally I have not been impressed with the DPMS stuff but over the past few years, even the guys who aren't good have gotten pretty good, so I'm kind of hoping it'll surprise me.
    I'd like to know how the DPMS turned out.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Oh, quite well for the relatively short duration I had it. Nothing about it that caused me concern at all.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The Mini-14 is pretty reliable but not durable. Best reliability is with stainless steel guns, copious amounts of lube, 20rd OEM mags, using quality domestically produced .223 SAAMI spec ammo. Where there are problems, it's usually one or more deviations from this.
    Just to clarify, one should use specifically the 20 round Ruger magazines, not the 30 or 40 round ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Just to clarify, one should use specifically the 20 round Ruger magazines, not the 30 or 40 round ones?
    I can't speak specifically to the factory mags of any capacity, but the only aftermarket mags for the Mini series that I am aware of are stuff like Promag and Tapco, and maybe some no-name foreign junk. So stick with OEM for sure. Does Ruger make 40 round mags? I don't see them on their site.

I've definitely seen 30 round magazines for sale on-line with claims that this is an original Ruger brand magazine. I seem to recall a 40-rounder (I distinctly remember wondering just how far that thing will stick out of the gun) but I can't seem to immediately find one for sale. That one might have been an aftermarket one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Sorry I missed this. Yes, that was the specific recommendation of Ruger and the experience of some agencies.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Roger that. Thank you! Now I know exactly what magazines are worth buying.

My rifle has a muzzle device that looks a lot like a Choate M-14 look-a-like flash hider. In the bottom of the muzzle device there is a threaded hole that looks like a set screw used to live there. Said set screw is probably somewhere on the ground between the firing line and target stands of my local rifle range, because I neglected to check its tightness before shooting... Anyone have any clue what sort of screw fits there?

Oh, neat! I got a reply from Choate. Apparently the set screw is there just to hold the flash hider in place during installation. So I didn't lose anything important.

Old thread and probably not much has changed. If anything the Mini remains (relatively) expensive and many ARs remain (relatively) cheap. But Ruger does still seem fully committed to producing the Mini-14 and there are several blued and stainless versions to choose from. Rifles can be had in .223, 7.62x39 or .300 BLK. For a short while the Mini was available in 6.8 but Internet fury over the SAAMI vs SPC II chamber probably pretty much killed that gun off...

One interesting development over these last few years is the reintroduction of the original Ruger folding stock. The stock is being made for Ruger by Samson Mfg and is available on Samson's website.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/a-tm-fold...r-mini-14.html

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...folding-stock/

Price, as can be seen above, is surprisingly good and the stock looks to be of good quality. Or at least quality equal to the 1980s original. Down side is the stock seems to have exceeded sales expectations. A stock ordered today probably won't be delivered for several months while Samson works at getting caught up. Personally I hope they take their time and continue to make a nice product vs cutting corners to fill orders.

What's missing now is a reproduction gas block with the sling swivel mounted to the left side. Hopefully Samson or maybe even Ruger will make a more appropriate gas block. While they're at it a bayonet lug front sight would also be nice.

The stock is not perfect and is a somewhat outdated design just like the rifle it is made for. No length of pull adjustment. No provision to accept a different stock or pistol grip. Heck it is made from wood and not some weather resistant material. Still I like the look and am glad to see the stock back on the market.

I do have to wonder if Ruger will announce a complete factory rifle. My gut says no given the MSRP of such a gun. It will likely have a store price of $1,000. Will people buy such an expensive Mini or will they be content with buying a new stock for a rifle they might already own? If nothing else we can probably expect an uptick in used gun prices.

Another thing I wonder about is a stock with a pistol brace. Then maybe Ruger can make a Mini-14 Charger pistol with the front sight cast into the top of the gas block.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

User Tag List