Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Didn't mean to chastise, amigo. I understood your confusion.
    Post was purely in jest...trying to be self-deprecating but doesn't always work online. No offense taken and didn't mean to offer any.

Check Numrich Arms for Mini-14 parts. That post above worried me about keeping Mom's "Little Honey" going for a couple more generations. Thinking a few springs and firing pins oughta do it.http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...ries-39655.htm
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Great idea! Thanks!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The local big-box sporting goods store's $812 w/tax clearance price on their display model FNAR makes me think that may be the way to go for a non-pistol-grip semi. 20" light fluted. Slickguns says Bud's had it for what would work out to about $900 shipped, insured and transferred a year and a half ago. Lowest current price is $1200. Used ones are around mid-$900s with lots of days left on GB. There are conventional butt stocks available that bolt up, basically turning it into a ShortTrac with a rail and DBM. Seems likely to be more accurate and reliable, not to mention bigger punch, than a Mini-14. Mag prices suck, but from time to time may fall to USP45 pistol mag MSRP. How stupid would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Check Numrich Arms for Mini-14 parts. That post above worried me about keeping Mom's "Little Honey" going for a couple more generations. Thinking a few springs and firing pins oughta do it.http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...ries-39655.htm
    Good find.

FWIW, I believe in Numrichs parts, "replacement" means not a factory part, which their firing pins are so marked.

And most of the parts on their list were marked as sold out. Those who have dealt with this company more, do the parts come and go from their inventory or is the situation one where they get a bunch of parts once and when they're gone, they're gone?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Now that this thread has re-awakened, I thought I would mention that the Mini/Ranch Rifle seems a reasonable solution for RV-ing through states/provinces that have problems with some better options. My already-retired wife is quite ready to see some places where no AR can go, when I finally get around to retiring from wearing a piece of tin on my shirt. We have a pair of 580-series Ranch Rifles.

I was, once upon a time, certified to protect the citizens of Houston with an AR15. When the front sight of the AWB-era LE-only Colt Govt Carbine became fuzzy, I sold it to a colleague with younger eyes. (Another factor was that the timed qual was getting to be a bit too athletic; once I am in prone position, getting to my feet, to run to the next firing position, is not accomplished quickly.) I reckon an AR would be the better choice for me when in jurisdictions that allow the AR. Ours is a BCG Lightweight Middy upper, on an S&W M&P15 lower, with RRA LRPK and Colt A2 stock. The stock prevents it from fitting into anything discreet, unless broken-down, but I really like the A2 stock. We may buy or build another AR soon, with a smaller profile.

For the moment, as I am still active, but no longer certified by the PD to tote an AR, and PD policy applies 24/7, my vehicular long gun would be one of our three Remington 870 pump guns. My usual take-to-work gun has been an 870P with a Vang-comped barrel, but my new chief may dislike porting*, and I am starting to need real sights, so I have a Remington 24545 factory barrel en route, that has factory rifle sights. I may install a Trijicon or XS front sight.

I may try using my old-school Remington folding stock, for the first time in years, as it only works for me with iron sights, taller than a bead-on-pedestal. I used to find the recoil quite tolerable with the folding stock, because its long L.O.P. was OK, thanks to my long monkey arms, but my left shoulder may not be so sturdy anymore. (My right shoulder does not do well with shotgun recoil, but I shoot long guns lefty, due to left-eye dominance.)

Next on my (potential) shopping list, if the folder does not work well for me, is the adapter that will allow me to mount a Limbsaver pad on my Magpul SGA stock, with the idea of one of my pair of 870Ps becoming a designated slug gun. Yes, I remember Louis Awerbuck, and regret waiting too long to sign-up to attend his shotgun training.

*Our new chief has not yet changed any firearms policies. I just want to be instantly prepared, if he does.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-03-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Numerous typos and needed clarifications.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Now that this thread has re-awakened, I thought I would mention that the Mini/Ranch Rifle seems a reasonable solution for RV-ing through states/provinces that have problems with some better options. My already-retired wife is quite ready to see some places where no AR can go, when I finally get around to retiring from wearing a piece of tin on my shirt. We have a pair of 580-series Ranch Rifles.

I was, once upon a time, certified to protect the citizens of Houston with an AR15. When the front sight of the AWB-era LE-only Colt Govt Carbine became fuzzy, I sold it to a colleague with younger eyes. (Another factor was that the timed qual was getting to be a bit too athletic; once I am in prone position, getting to my feet, to run to the next firing position, is not accomplished quickly.) I reckon an AR would be the better choice for me when in jurisdictions that allow the AR. Ours is a BCG Lightweight Middy upper, on an S&W M&P15 lower, with RRA LRPK and Colt A2 stock. The stock prevents it from fitting into anything discreet, unless broken-down, but I really like the A2 stock. We may buy or build another AR soon, with a smaller profile.

For the moment, as I am still active, but no longer certified by the PD to tote an AR, and PD policy applies 24/7, my vehicular long gun would be one of our three Remington 870 pump guns. My usual take-to-work gun has been an 870P with a Vang-comped barrel, but my new chief may dislike porting*, and I am starting to need real sights, so I have a Remington 24545 factory barrel en route, that has factory rifle sights. I may install a Trijicon or XS front sight.

I may try using my old-school Remington folding stock, for the first time in years, as it only works for me with iron sights, taller than a bead-on-pedestal. I used to find the recoil quite tolerable with the folding stock, because its long L.O.P. was OK, thanks to my long monkey arms, but my left shoulder may not be so sturdy anymore. (My right shoulder does not do well with shotgun recoil, but I shoot long guns lefty, due to left-eye dominance.)

Next on my (potential) shopping list, if the folder does not work well for me, is the adapter that will allow me to mount a Limbsaver pad on my Magpul SGA stock, with the idea of one of my pair of 870Ps becoming a designated slug gun. Yes, I remember Louis Awerbuck, and regret waiting too long to sign-up to attend his shotgun training.

*Our new chief has not yet changed any firearms policies. I just want to be instantly prepared, if he does.
    another barrel option: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...s-rifle-sights

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Those are the DEA sights - a good rugged design but they are on the same sighting plane as a bead - no bueno with the factory folder. I have a couple of those barrels & would gladly trade them for 18" barrels w/ the standard Rifle sights.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Firing pins go between 2500-5000rds, extractors about that time as well. Other small parts here and there.
    Numrich sells firing pins, Brownells extractors. Any other small parts that are known for breaking and should be kept on hand?

User Tag List