Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    But the intricacies on what extractor spring or the color of the insert they have in their bolt? 3/4 of them probably couldn't tell you if their life depended on it. No slight against them, they just didn't need to know that information.

Just pointing out something that I see as a trend out there.
    Three quarters? I'd say more like 99%. The Army simply doesn't train anyone but armorers in such things (and the armorers are going to know M-4's and maybe M-16's--not AR's). They only way you are going to learn them is to own your own AR and find out yourself. Personally, I am learning a lot about the innards of AR's just from this thread.

It is good info to know about any manufacture having quality or design issues. That info would be very helpful in making a decision. Most recently Glock and M&P come to mind. However those issues didn't stop me from buying a j frame.
    I would not purchase an AR-10 based on weight alone. I have no need for a rifle that heavy regardless of caliber. The DPMS GII can be a very lightweight rifle with one model coming pretty close in weight to a 5.56 AR.
    I don't know what the current situation is at DPMS, I don't know if they have addressed or are addressing QC issues. I don't know if the GII is having issues or not. An internet search reveals nothing that would cause me alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    DPMS, and their high rate of failure due to bolts cracking, was probably 50% of the impetus for my research that eventually became The Chart.

The other 50% was trying to figure out what made Colt so good that (A) I rarely heard of any issues and (B) people I considered to be in the know almost universally suggested them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    It is good info to know about any manufacture having quality or design issues. That info would be very helpful in making a decision. Most recently Glock and M&P come to mind. However those issues didn't stop me from buying a j frame.
    I would not purchase an AR-10 based on weight alone. I have no need for a rifle that heavy regardless of caliber. The DPMS GII can be a very lightweight rifle with one model coming pretty close in weight to a 5.56 AR.
    I don't know what the current situation is at DPMS, I don't know if they have addressed or are addressing QC issues. I don't know if the GII is having issues or not. An internet search reveals nothing that would cause me alarm.
    DPMS' reputation and history alone would keep me away, but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

There's benefits to the j-frame that would lead me to be willing to overlook the M&P issues S&W may have. I can't see a benefit to the Gii, especially in the context of this thread, that would lead me take a chance on that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    No.

I literally don't know anybody with one of those.

Every OTHER DPMS AR has been junk though. I'll stand by that statement.
    This is my experience with DPMS as a whole. I have not seen a GII gun in the wild, nor do I know anyone with one. On paper the DPMS GII is the answer to my 308 dreams. But even if it turns out to be an excellent gun with outstanding QC in the build, I don't know if I want to take the gamble with one, due to DPMS' history of putting out junk.

I saw a new Colt 6720 online last week for $799. For the intended purpose that LSP972 is wanting to use his gun for, that's still a great gun with a known record of being a quality build. I know that LSP was looking at the Ruger AR's, as he can get them cheaper than the $799 sale price of the 6720. And if the Ruger AR is reliable, then I agree with the thought of going with the Ruger. With zero experience on the Ruger DI guns, I can't comment positive or negative on their reliability. I do like some of the features that the Ruger DI gun has that the M&P Sport lacks. A person could always buy one, test the crap out of it, and if you're satisfied, then lube it, load it and you're done. If not, sell it off and then consider buying a Colt 6720.

If one were ever confronted with a group of Thugs who's aggressive actions warranted deploying a long gun, reliability of the long gun being used can NOT be questionable. To me, the extra couple of hundred dollars I may need to spend are worth the peace of mind in the quality of the product I am depending on to function in time of need. That's why my personal choice for a travel gun is a 6720.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    If one were ever confronted with a group of Thugs who's aggressive actions warranted deploying a long gun, reliability of the long gun being used can NOT be questionable. To me, the extra couple of hundred dollars I may need to spend are worth the peace of mind in the quality of the product I am depending on to function in time of need. That's why my personal choice for a travel gun is a 6720.
    Bottom line, right there. (And ditto on the M&P Sport, Beat Trash. I know its a good carbine, but it just seems... lacking. Perhaps we're too snobbish for our own good... ).

As to my situation; the Ruger is pretty much unobtainium right now, and while 6720s are obtainium, by the time I pay shipping & transfer fees, I might as well buy locally. So, my current 6720 gets the nod until I get around to buying a replacement.. whatever that may be.

Certainly not a DPMS, though.

Thanks again for all the discussion/comments/advice.

I thought that about the Sport as well, until I started flogging the test gun I have. I think it's legit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

PTR91 GI, $900, 20 rounds of 7.62, reliable, durable, accurate. Can even install a collapsing stock.
    What's not to like?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    PTR91 GI, $900, 20 rounds of 7.62, reliable, durable, accurate. Can even install a collapsing stock.
    What's not to like?
    Putting rounds through the exterior wall of a house down the street? A 7.62 is a lot of firepower for an urban setting.

I'm good with that. If it will penetrate a house two blocks away it should have no problem penetrating a '88 Cutlass Supreme.
    I can think of a lot more urban situations that would require barrier penetration than I can rural.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The 6720 just with MagPUL SL furniture would work.
    Check it out:

http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920-o...furniture.html

User Tag List