Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

I may have already said this, but...

I kind of can't blame people that wind up with sub-par ARs. While the market has exploded, and largely caught up in terms of checking boxes on a chart, it is also lagging in terms of what would make for a readily-available, top shelf, updated, AR.

What I'd love to see is a Colt 6720 updated to include a mid-length gas system, MOE handguard and stock, and a 12.0 Lightweight, free-floated, handguard. This is something I could heartily recommend to a new buyer as being both reliable, functional, and fitting of modern utility (longer reach, bracing off of barricades, installation of a light, mounting of a two-point sling, etc.). I'm not even entirely sold on the mid-length and could skip that if necessary.

The 6720 just with MagPUL SL furniture would work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I may have already said this, but...

I kind of can't blame people that wind up with sub-par ARs. While the market has exploded, and largely caught up in terms of checking boxes on a chart, it is also lagging in terms of what would make for a readily-available, top shelf, updated, AR.

What I'd love to see is a Colt 6720 updated to include a mid-length gas system, MOE handguard and stock, and a 12.0 Lightweight, free-floated, handguard. This is something I could heartily recommend to a new buyer as being both reliable, functional, and fitting of modern utility (longer reach, bracing off of barricades, installation of a light, mounting of a two-point sling, etc.). I'm not even entirely sold on the mid-length and could skip that if necessary.
    The Colt OEM and particularly the OEM 2 are steps in the right direction. If they sell well enough, an analyst at OEM 6720 is a possibility.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This morning, on the way into work, I saw a crowd of perhaps 20 or so liberal southern democrats hanging out in the church parking lot on the southeast corner of that intersection; and they weren't waiting to get on a tour bus, if you get my drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    For liberal democrats I would like the new DPMS AR in .308. You could shoot 2 or three with the same shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Is there a bag limit on lib dems? I've been thinking about a safari in Austin but the taco truck blind I would need is kind of pricey.
    TR,

You'd be using the wrong kind of blind because you're not hearing the dog whistle.

"Liberal democrat" or "liberal southern democrat" used in these contexts means "black people." It's one of those oh-so-hilarious phrases that gets tossed around on gun forums from time to time, and you just have to read between the lines:

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    ...felony Indian country...
    ...if the natives get restless, it is a perfect place to slow down and ambush yuppie (and not so yuppie) motorists...
    ...no way am I going to be the next Reginald Denny...
    ...usually, at that time those folks are crashed somewhere after a night of... doing what they do.
    Get it? Now you can ask if there's a bag limit on black people.

Or should we just go back to code words? Because hunting permits for people with different political ideas is so much less offensive than hunting permits for black people
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    After seven years living in the people's utopia liberal democrats created in California they deserve what ever befalls them.

I don't know what things are like where Byron is from but in Austin / Travis County TX, which is increasingly liberal and democrat, the already low black population (estimated between 8-12%) is actually decreasing.

http://kut.org/post/african-american...re-doing-about

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    TR,

You'd be using the wrong kind of blind because you're not hearing the dog whistle.

"Liberal democrat" or "liberal southern democrat" used in these contexts means "black people." It's one of those oh-so-hilarious phrases that gets tossed around on gun forums from time to time, and you just have to read between the lines:

Or should we just go back to code words? Because hunting permits for people with different political ideas is so much less offensive than hunting permits for black people
    Maybe I'll just confine my gentle mocking and related tomfoolery to the Romper Room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The 6720 just with MagPUL SL furniture would work.
    The thing is that (a) it's not a factory option you can get (or if it is, I haven't seen it at gun shops) and (b) I'm not certain the handguard is quite long enough, nor is it free-floated. A Certain part of this equation has to be giving people what they think they want, and I think a 12.0 free-float of some sort is pretty much a required feature these days.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Colt OEM and particularly the OEM 2 are steps in the right direction. If they sell well enough, an analyst at OEM 6720 is a possibility.
    Yes and no. First, as you mention, there's no 6720 OEM. Second, it's still not a complete gun. Perhaps a local enterprising shop may figure out that buying a bunch of 6920 OEMs and putting aftermarket furniture on them before they go on the shelf is a good profit center, but WalMart isn't going to be doing that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The thing is that (a) it's not a factory option you can get (or if it is, I haven't seen it at gun shops) and (b) I'm not certain the handguard is quite long enough, nor is it free-floated. A Certain part of this equation has to be giving people what they think they want, and I think a 12.0 free-float of some sort is pretty much a required feature these days.

Yes and no. First, as you mention, there's no 6720 OEM. Second, it's still not a complete gun. Perhaps a local enterprising shop may figure out that buying a bunch of 6920 OEMs and putting aftermarket furniture on them before they go on the shelf is a good profit center, but WalMart isn't going to be doing that.
    I agree Walmart won't but for those one step up from Walmart buyers, a "build - a-gun" while you wait could be a good business opportunity for a LGS with a few rail, stock and grip options in stock, especially if they had a few samples people could put their hands on.

GT Distributors is already showing OEM-1s on their website at $679.

"Liberal democrat" or "liberal southern democrat" used in these contexts means "black people." It's one of those oh-so-hilarious phrases that gets tossed around on gun forums from time to time, and you just have to read between the lines
    Byron: With respect, LSP wasn't talking about black people as a group. As a cop he protected numerous black people. What he is referring to are thugs. Many of them are indeed black, (and probably all or almost all in this group) but that neither can, nor should, give them a pass. Nor should the racism that led to the beating of the innocent Reginald Denny (or lots of white people every year) get a pass. Violence against innocent people of whatever color is wrong, and it is equally wrong to excuse members of one group when they are committing crimes against another group. The sad truth is that in much of urban America a lot of the thugs who commit racial (and non racial) violence are black. It is an equally sad truth that many try to excuse them, which helps neither blacks nor race relations in America.

If you read some more of LSP's comments and you will see he has no time for thugs of any race, and equally no problem with decent people of any race.

Sometimes things that seem to be "dog whistles" are nothing of the sort and that is the case here.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-24-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Well, sorry to have twisted your knickers, but climb down off that self-righteous stump for a damned minute and note that _I_ didn't say one word about "hunting" anybody. What _I_ was talking about is groups of these people who congregrate for the sole purpose of tearing shit up, and will beat down anyone who gets in their way. When "their way" occurs on a public right-of-way, and I'm putzing along minding my own business, guess what?

I believe this board has an "ignore" feature. If I offend you that much talking about reality, feel free to use it on me.

User Tag List