Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Mini-14...

Quick tip- a 6920 will fit inside a standard electric guitar gig bag or Fender style hard case. Longer guns can fit in a bass guitar case.

I carry an AR in my truck. Really no reason not to.

Colt 6720 with a Daniel Defense Fixed rear sight. If you don't want to spend a ton of money (IMHO), you'd be better served by a decent iron sight set up than a less expensive optic. I'd also make a weapon mounted light a priority if you're operating that early in the morning.
    Anymore, the only reason to get a Mini 14 (to me) is if you want a less expensive, smaller caliber M1A because you're used to the manual of arms ... It's not that great at that, though.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Personally, while I think you (or anyone else) could do fine with a Mini...I just don't see the point of buying different mags. I know you already came back to the AR fold here, I'm just commenting because I've been drinking.

That's the main reason I stick with my gun choices...mags and holsters. I have a big stack of mags for 9/10mm glocks, .45 1911s, ARs, and VZs. Plus holsters for the pistols. And mag carriers. And reloading gear for those calibres.

I could switch platforms but they'd have to really be serious shifts in performance to justify the additional support gear. I'm not blowing giant stacks of maple-scented monopoly money for tiny incremental improvements. Which, of course, I don't think the Mini represents in the first place. But even if it did.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    And unless I am mistaken a US Marshal was shot near there last week.
    About four blocks away, in fact. And the individual the marshals were after was killed in the return volley. Dunno if there is any connection, but…

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Quick tip- a 6920 will fit inside a standard electric guitar gig bag or Fender style hard case. Longer guns can fit in a bass guitar case.
    Thanks, but I already have a near-perfect "urban camouflage" carrying case.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    A Colt 6720 broken down and stashed in a hill people Umlindi seems like a good option.
    Good idea on the face of it… but odds are that if I need the carbine, I'll need it pretty quickly and with little or no warning. Plan A is to just drive away from (or through) the threat.

OTOH, I really do need a more sturdy backpack, for if I have to transition to LPC (leather personnel carrier) mode. Nedd to check some of those out…

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    If you don't want to spend a ton of money (IMHO), you'd be better served by a decent iron sight set up than a less expensive optic.
    Yup, already came to that conclusion. The white light is a given, too.

I've been a factory cert'ed Ruger armorer, maintained a batch of them, carried a few on patrol, and took them to some multi-day, 1k rd+ classes. I still help with a few here and there and see them in training occasionally. The sum of my experience, applicable to the pre-580 (newest variant) series:

The Mini-14 is pretty reliable but not durable. Best reliability is with stainless steel guns, copious amounts of lube, 20rd OEM mags, using quality domestically produced .223 SAAMI spec ammo. Where there are problems, it's usually one or more deviations from this. Firing pins go between 2500-5000rds, extractors about that time as well. Other small parts here and there. Gas block screws should be checked often. Mechanical accuracy is "accurate enough" for its intended purposes, and certainly exceeds the ability of most shooters. A good shooter can produce some interesting deviations with hot barrels in some guns.

When the above advice is heeded, I expect most Minis to go ~200-300 rds at a stretch, which will get most folks through a LE training rotation or TD1 of a sleep-away class. If the gun isn't PM'ed thereafter, all bets are off.

The manner of firing seems to make a difference, but not with enough consistency for intelligent comment. I suspect it's stacking tolerances. Hard firing, rough ammo, and burning lube, along with a bolt that has no real smooth transitions in its travel make the gun what it is.

In the right hands, with the right PM, and with the right armorer watching the fleet, the Mini isn't unserviceable. It is what it is though.

Several mods have helped dedicated users of the Mini get the most out of their guns.

Shortening the barrel leaves less length in play ahead of the gas block. When shortened to 16", I found that group sizes typically decreased by 1/4 to 1/3 with less variability when heated up as well. Feedback from the field drove the heavier profile and 16" options currently available from the factory.

After shortening the barrel, installation of a GB type sight was popular. This was best done by true smiths to ensure the sight was top dead center. Many a canted sight were seen in the field due to WECSOG.

There were various barrel stiffening attachments on the market as well. Usually a rod or weight attached to the barrel ahead of the gas block to stiffen the barrel. Group sizes decreased about the same, but the ones I played with would move.

Removal and reinstallation of the gas block and screws for even torque is also thought to help. I don't know how much so by itself, but cumulatively with the above it seems to work.

A shorter stock, along with a shorter barrel, made for a very handy and fast handling carbine. The OEM stock is simply too long, and is much like running an A1 or A2 length on an AR.

Polishing and breaking the edges of the bolt lugs was also popular and seems to help wonky guns. Wonky guns that went back to Ruger often same back so tweaked.

Other aftermarket efforts included stronger firing pins, FP recess chamfering, harder extractors. Some of these, other stuff from the custom houses working Minis, and the above were integrated in the new 580 series, which makes it a better choice in the line than its predecessor models.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Since Colt 6720's can be had for $799, and the stripped 6920 OEMs are starting to trickle out into the market for $670-ish, I'd have a tough time justifying putting much money towards a Mini-14. I suppose that in some locations, the wood stock might be viewed as less evil and scary, but I doubt that's a major consideration where you live.
    Colt's continued ability to miss the mark in the commercial market astounds me. Several years ago I was even in contact with their commercial division, because they wanted to know what they were doing wrong or could do better, and even then their focus was so screwed up as to be comical (their primary concerns seemed to be over what logo to stamp into the lowers, no shit).

What the market wants is a stripped OEM 6720. Alternately, or additionally, it would be awesome to see them offer a 6720 with a shaved FSB and even just an MI MLOK 15" handguard installed. Put a MOE stock and grip on it, with MOE sights, of you want to get fancy.

The latter would be the gun ID recommend to every single new buyer that sled me what to get. And it would be a great iron-sighted trunk gun with a set of fixed sights in place of the MOE.

User Tag List