Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denver Area - starting a weekly group session

It was a good trip, and the place is great! I can't imagine why I crossed it off my list when I was looking for local ranges. Maybe I simply missed it. When my membership at this other range expires, I'm switching.

Good to meet you, hiro, and we'll have to make a habit of this!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Likewise! A fine start to the day!

Ever use the turning targets? I don't recall drills using them, are they seen as a gimmick?

I've only shot at Go Shoot Indoors the once so I'm due shooting there again but I like Bristlecone. Don't think I'll be shooting next week but should be good for the week following.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Ever use the turning targets? I don't recall drills using them, are they seen as a gimmick?
    I have. They have some pre-entered programs, which will change speeds, turn left and right, change distances, and the like. Some of them get pretty challenging (short time to shoot and a long distance). If you press the "Program" button on the screen, you'll find them. I haven't yet entered my own program - not sure if they are kosher with that, yet.

Last time I was there a couple of weeks back I entered my own but didn't save it, took me more time than I wanted it to so I left it alone today. At least one of the RO's knows the programmes but I've not asked for him to set them up.

Is there training merit from using them?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Is there training merit from using them?
    Some. More about reaction timing and adjusting distances. It's limited to a single-lane range, of course, so there's only so much you can do. Still, I request the Tactical Bay every time it's open, so I can use them. Also, since I do a lot of holster work, and the younger kids are usually in the pistol-only side, it helps to prevent the 12-year-old from going "hey, Dad! I'm gonna do a quick draw!" because he sees me drawing.

Not perfect, but I'll take any mitigation I can get.

So now that I'm back in town for the summer, is this still going on and if so did we switch ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuksonhwacha View Post
    So now that I'm back in town for the summer, is this still going on and if so did we switch ranges?
    I dunno. But if this does ever switch to Bristlecone, I'll start coming more often, since my range fee is covered (I'm a charter member).

OK, digging this thread up.

Things went kinda sideways for me last year and I had to take a step back from shooting. Am pleased to say I'm back, now own a Glock and am looking to shoot as frequently as possible - hoping to make it weekly but my work schedule can make it hard to work a set day each week.

MDS, apologies for disappearing, are you still looking for regulars?

Tim

User Tag List