Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    I confess, I did a quick estimate this morning and 18,000 was the number I came up with also.

Dayum.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Both have the same saami pressure rating of 35ksi( or is it 36?). But that is only a piece of the puzzle. Remember that pressure is force over area. Case diameter is larger on a .40, so for a given pressure total force on breach face is higher.

Really though you are concerned with force over time.
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific! I meant 36,000 rounds in DocGKR's photo (post #7).

It needs to be on the way in before it can go out. Other than gaston giving them away in the 90s to any police department that wanted them, it's never been a big mover other than to people who read online it's a 45 in a 9mm package and believe it. Or believed the magazine authors who were paid to push it pre Internet days.

All my shooting buddies, zero own a 40. Family to include my wife's side, zero own a 40. Even if every person on all forum owned it exclusively and only shot it, that would still only represent a fraction of all gun owners in the country. It is nowhere near as popular as the web would make it seem to a new person researching online. All the local gun stores move more 38 special and 410 than they do 40.

I tried it for IPSC, pins and plates in the 90s. That lasted about two weeks after splits were extended greatly, when .3 seconds means first loser or first place, it's a big deal. I tried it on little critters and deer. Did no better than 9mm. So I sold it after it sat for two years unused. I only see hype and a huge following online.

That is 36,000 rounds in the Doctor's picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    That is 36,000 rounds in the Doctor's picture.
    You are correct. I had figured that those had to be 500 round cases, but as I looked closer it was pretty clear that they had 100 rounds each. I am now officially beyond insanely jealous. THAT is the way to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The only thing to say is, You're wrong.
    agreed.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportster883 View Post
    It needs to be on the way in before it can go out. Other than gaston giving them away in the 90s to any police department that wanted them, it's never been a big mover other than to people who read online it's a 45 in a 9mm package and believe it. Or believed the magazine authors who were paid to push it pre Internet days.

All my shooting buddies, zero own a 40. Family to include my wife's side, zero own a 40. Even if every person on all forum owned it exclusively and only shot it, that would still only represent a fraction of all gun owners in the country. It is nowhere near as popular as the web would make it seem to a new person researching online. All the local gun stores move more 38 special and 410 than they do 40.

I tried it for IPSC, pins and plates in the 90s. That lasted about two weeks after splits were extended greatly, when .3 seconds means first loser or first place, it's a big deal. I tried it on little critters and deer. Did no better than 9mm. So I sold it after it sat for two years unused. I only see hype and a huge following online.
    I wonder if it's a regional thing. I live in a very rural state and I know more .40 users than 9mm easily. Close to a tie, maybe, but I'd give the edge to .40 in my local numbers/shooting community. I do shoot frequently with LEO though, which may be skewing me.

As to the main topic of the thread, my primary is the 9mm but I quite like the .40 as well. I'm big. I don't feel a big difference. It is what it is.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Until I have more time;

At one point I owned seven different Glock .40s, two HKs, and a Beretta. I liked the .40, a lot, and carried it daily, by choice.

I learn the hard way.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I wonder if it's a regional thing. I live in a very rural state and I know more .40 users than 9mm easily. Close to a tie, maybe, but I'd give the edge to .40 in my local numbers/shooting community. I do shoot frequently with LEO though, which may be skewing me.

As to the main topic of the thread, my primary is the 9mm but I quite like the .40 as well. I'm big. I don't feel a big difference. It is what it is.
    You most likely are right. I am also in a rural area, and I can think of one family member who lives in "town". I don't feel a difference either, but when you shoot your carry gun/defense pistol on pins or plates and IPSC for fun you will experience longer splits, no way around it. That's when I noticed the difference. Also noticed on game and varmints, there is no noticable difference between 9, 40 or 45 with on game performance given similar constructed projectiles with near same sectional densities. The normal heavy weights in the big three are for all purposes the same sectional density. A near miss and be off target on game by 2" and make a bad hit, then diameter won't matter much, but getting back on target as fast as possible will. It took me a long time to realize that and my experience in IPSC and clearing pin tables showed me 40 takes longer to get back on target. I don't dislike it, I just don't see a use for one. I have noticed there are some 200 grain loads for 40 these days. Hands down it will penetrate deeper than any 9 or 45 because of the superior sectional density. In that one instance I could justify the split difference, but it would be a narrow purpose use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Until I have more time;

At one point I owned seven different Glock .40s, two HKs, and a Beretta. I liked the .40, a lot, and carried it daily, by choice.

I learn the hard way.
    You're not the only one.

My Concealed Carry Instructor (he actually was fairly qualified, not as much as others but above average for certain) in front a class while cleaning a student's 1911 said, "1911's are great, beautiful guns but a Glock 19 would be ideal". He emphasized repeatedly how a Glock 19 and a Comp-Tac Holster would be ideal (because of the leather backing). I even shot that Glock 19 with a 3.5 lb connector, extended magazine release, and extended slide release.

So needless to say I bought a Stainless Steel DW CBOB, carried that for a year before being tired of it small of the back. Switched to a Glock 17 Gen 4 and AIWB to take advantage of all of the inherit benefits of a Glock 17. I had two ingenuinal hernias repaired and AIWB was no longer comfortable, and realized the Glock 17 was just too big for my usages. I switched to a Glock 19 Gen 4 with an extended slide release and magazine release, minus connector, and Glock 17 Trigger assembly; I'm happy with it for carrying in a holster. I carry in a JM Custom IWB3 with a Full Sweat Guard and I find myself wanting to either A) reduce the sweat guard size to a mid-guard or B) get some kind of leather material on the back of the kydex because it creates a "hot spot" as we'll call it on my back.

So here I am 5 years later and thousands of dollars later back where I started.

God Bless,

Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So here I am 5 years later and thousands of dollars later back where I started. .
    Welcome to the club. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List