Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster883 View Post
    I called them in 09 and asked if such a thing was being made. They told me they made a couple to give it a try, but they never worked. They told me there was no future plans to make them.

I am glad someone got one of the few prototypes, maybe they should have tried more than one pistol. It sounds as if yours runs fine with it, while theirs did not. How in the world did you get it?

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=G37&cco=87
    It wasn't my barrel, a friend bought it, he was willing to pay them to make a single example. It worked perfectly over the course of several months of my testing it, lots of different ammo, light or no light mounted. With the medium velocity type ammo the gun barely ran, but most people that want to run a .40 want to run the hotter ammo.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It wasn't my barrel, a friend bought it, he was willing to pay them to make a single example. It worked perfectly over the course of several months of my testing it, lots of different ammo, light or no light mounted. With the medium velocity type ammo the gun barely ran, but most people that want to run a .40 want to run the hotter ammo.
    That's neat. I am happy it works for him. That fat heavy slide must really tame even the warmest 40 loads. When I talked to them they were not even interested in making one for me. I'm glad they changed their mind. Any time you can dual caliber a pistol is a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

One of the softest shooting loads in any caliber is the slower Winxhester silver tip in 45GAP. If someone fears over penetration the 185 silver tip in either 45 auto loading cartridge is a fine choice. It recoils like the winchester defend 9mm 147 load I have been testing, and it works great in the XD9, it's loaded with that 147 load right now. Very accurate and deep penetrating, always expands.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I disagree.
    Don't be shy, explain. The mid 90s was a great time to grab cheap model 10s and various 9mm self loaders. Even the ones in better shape to never fired were going cheap. I picked up a barely fired P226 for $300 in 1997. All thanks to Gaston (along with a bunch of preban mags dor it). My little brother got a nice 1989 built G17 for the same price. Best part was Glock replaced all the internal parts before they offed it real cheap. As a consumer of guns, I would love to see police leave a platform in droves again. I could buy a trade in G22 and get a 9mm and 357 SIG barrel for cheaper than a new G22 alone would cost.

One benefit to that is the gunshow tables will have plenty of 40 caliber trade ins cheap, the more the better because someone can undercut the next table by $10.00, supply and demand is an awesome thing. It will just be redistribution of who is shooting the 40. I see it in no way a decline in 40 shooters and will only make it more popular with cheap good guns flooding the market as the way I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I disagree.
    In the past several months, I know dealers that have altogether declined agency trades of .40 Glocks 22/23 and .40 Sigs 226/229, due to overstock. If willing to take them, trade value was very low. Steep discounting on existing used inventory wasn't clearing the shelves. In converting agencies, individual officers trying to dump personally owned CCW/BUG .40s for compact 9s seem to be having only slightly better luck with single unit trades.

This will vary by vendor and area of course, but reports of same are becoming more frequent.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    In the past several months, I know dealers that have altogether declined agency trades of .40 Glocks 22/23 and .40 Sigs 226/229, due to overstock. If willing to take them, trade value was very low. Steep discounting on existing used inventory wasn't clearing the shelves. In converting agencies, individual officers trying to dump personally owned CCW/BUG .40s for compact 9s seem to be having only slightly better luck with single unit trades.

This will vary by vendor and area of course, but reports of same are becoming more frequent.
    As pressure raises to get rid of them, the offering price will drop, if it ain't low enough, it will drop more. When they hit the gunshow tables they will be a steal. By the time 1995-97 rolled around when the same thing happened, the getting was good. Everyone and their brother had a police trade in pistol or revolver.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Depends on where the gun was made really. European, we'll just about all other manufacturers around the world build 9mm pistols around CIP spec ammo, not SAAMI spec ammo. European pistols are sent out to CIP proofing before sale, all of them. You won't see any plus signs or capital Ps on the box either. While the ammo is infact SAAMI +P and beyond.
    Uh-huh.

That was Fiocchi 9AP.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

"If someone fears over penetration the 185 silver tip in either 45 auto loading cartridge is a fine choice."
    I'll have to disagree that it is a fine choice.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Uh-huh.

That was Fiocchi 9AP.
    They took your powder to use in those extra fast rounds they make.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I'll have to disagree that it is a fine choice.
    Concur, really poorly performing load, almost got one of our narcs whacked when underpenetration turned out to be a real problem.
    www.agiletactical.com

I forgot to add about the 9mm vs 40S&W cost I talked about with the ATK Speer expert

There`s a 6 dollar difference between standard pressure 9mm and 40S&W ammo. 31.00 a box for 180gr Speer

+P and +P+ proportionally higher. I wish we would put a box price compared to the 40cal 180gr. I bet its the same if not close to 31.00 a box.

He also made another remark about both Service pistols

The 9mm has been around for more than 100yrs . The 40 S&W only 25yrs.
    I have SELDOM seen worn out 9mm service pistols, nor 40S&W for that matter!
    My guess is that Both service pistol show more holster wear than shot loose.

We all know some LE agency should have more training.

User Tag List