Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

You all know they make .40-9mm conversion barrels for a lot of pistols?

Finding an inexpensive .40 and dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel allows for a pretty nice practice/training firearm which can use two sources of ammo depending on what is available....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Finding an inexpensive .40 and dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel allows for a pretty nice practice/training firearm which can use two sources of ammo depending on what is available....
    Is there a source for a 40->9x19 conversion barrel for M&P40 1.0s?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Why do you describe it s a practice/training option...not good enough for CCW or Duty?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Why do you describe it s a practice/training option...not good enough for CCW or Duty?
    Different guns probably respond differently. IIRC, Glocks can be swapped with a barrel, RSA, and extractor. Our range staff tested it but said Glock doesn't recommend it. If that's because they want to sell another 9mm or there's an actual issue is beyond my knowledge to offer a sound opinion on. Sig sells complete slides as caliber conversion kits and you're same-same as factory at that point, although the slides are more pricey then just a conversion barrel. Some manufacturers have different sight heights for .40 and 9mm offerings in the same pistol, and I'm not sure if the various conversion barrels take that into consideration for POA vs POI.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I have Storm Lake conversion barrels for my M&P40 and 40c. They’ve run well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have Storm Lake conversion barrels for my M&P40 and 40c. They’ve run well.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Im curious if theres overall long use reliability info on barrel converted guns compared to factory original configuration.

My guess would be that not recommended for duty or defensive use has something to do with the breech face in the slide being sized for 40, the 9 doesnt fit as well. The base of the shell isnt going to have the same guidance and extractor tension as one made specifically for the cartridge being used. Anybody know more about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im curious if theres overall long use reliability info on barrel converted guns compared to factory original configuration.

My guess would be that not recommended for duty or defensive use has something to do with the breech face in the slide being sized for 40, the 9 doesnt fit as well. The base of the shell isnt going to have the same guidance and extractor tension as one made specifically for the cartridge being used. Anybody know more about it?
    Very curious myself. I've got an M&P40L and I'd like to have one of the Apex gunsmith fit conversion barrels put in one of these days.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I use a STORMLAKE 40-9 in my S&W M&P PRO 5 inch Gen 1. Many, many rounds - it was my primary range pistol until I moved to the 2.0 FDE 5 inch. Never shot a round through the 40 barrel - always 9mm. Use 9mm mags but the 40 S&W RSA. That is the S&W 40 barrel in the STORMLAKE box - the SL barrel is SS.

I ran thousands of rounds with the 40-9 barrel with no issues. Almost exclusively reloads with 124 Bayous or 115 FMJs over WSF in range pickup brass and whatever primer on hand.

Name:  STA60618.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  63.8 KB
    Last edited by ranger; 08-25-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    @ranger - Did you replace the extractor and ejector?

User Tag List