Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

If nothing else, USPSA limited will keep it alive. The .40 makes major easily and has more capacity than the .45.

It’s kept the .38 Super alive (barely), and the .40 doesn’t even require reloading to make major.

Then there’s sudden interest in 10mm revolvers. .40s are cheap practice ammo in the moon-clipped revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    If nothing else, USPSA limited will keep it alive. The .40 makes major easily and has more capacity than the .45.

It’s kept the .38 Super alive (barely), and the .40 doesn’t even require reloading to make major.

Then there’s sudden interest in 10mm revolvers. .40s are cheap practice ammo in the moon-clipped revolvers.
    USPSA should cover far less than 1% of pistol shooters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    20 years worth of service pistols should contribute more to its survival than USPSA.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Possibly, but they account for a much larger percentage of handgun sales and larger still when it comes to ammo and reloading components.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Possibly, but they account for a much larger percentage of handgun sales and larger still when it comes to ammo and reloading components.

The other 99% plus also purchase handguns and ammunition but many purchase less than others. I certainly agree on the reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Agreed. Human Hemodynamics is dependent on many factors. Blood thickness, cardiac output, vessel size, vessel elasticity are a few factors. Traumatic blood loss can be greatly altered in a "fight or Flight" scenario. There are numerous examples of individuals who did not exhibit rapid blood loss from sustained wounds until the stress hormones subsided.
    Slight side note,...I was talking with a friend, discussing a news bit about a guy that was attacked by a grizzly in the middle of the night several miles back in while camping, a large part of his scalp was torn off, he walked out, and the rescuers impressed upon him that they needed the piece of scalp. He hiked the couple miles back in with them to his camp site in the dark, they found it, hiked out, was stitched up, and ended up OK. The friend was an EMT and mentioned he'd seen a number of traumatic amputations and other wounds from vehicle wrecks and other things, he said if they arent from something sharp, the blood vessels often stretch and tear, then snap back inside and dont bleed as much as a cut from something sharp, so he wasnt surprised the bear guy didnt bleed out more. I wonder if many gunshot wounds have similar effects from what would seem blunt trauma penetrations rather than something like a blade cut or stab?

Hence why handgun projectiles with sharp leading edges are more effective than those with blunt or rolled profiles....
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-19-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Hence why handgun projectiles with sharp leading edges are more effective than those with blunt or rolled profiles....
    I plan to have a .38 wadcutter mold altered to change the shape of the front circumference. Result will be three cutting edges. My assumption is that the bullet will be more effective because of tissue damage from spinning. I will cast these from a hard alloy. I will send 1000 to the dude in Rhode Island with the picture of the fine hound as part of his avatar. He can test them for us.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I plan to have a .38 wadcutter mold altered to change the shape of the front circumference. Result will be three cutting edges. My assumption is that the bullet will be more effective because of tissue damage from spinning.
    I suspect it won't make any difference. The twist rate of .38 Special is something like 1:18.75" to 1:14". You're going to get maybe 1 full turn before it exits or stops.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I plan to have a .38 wadcutter mold altered to change the shape of the front circumference. Result will be three cutting edges. My assumption is that the bullet will be more effective because of tissue damage from spinning. I will cast these from a hard alloy. I will send 1000 to the dude in Rhode Island with the picture of the fine hound as part of his avatar. He can test them for us.
    It is hard to say what'll happen.

If the cutting edges are sharp enough and of the correct geometry and the lead alloy is hard enough (to resist deformation of the cutting edges during penetration through the tissues that it encounters), some increased damage might result and it might even be independent of any rotation that does occur.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List