Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The 40cal on its way out?

I'd say alot of experts buried the 10mm ....
    The 40 S&W ain't going anywhere.....
    Myself I have two Glock 23's and my EDC is a 27 .... and my carry ammo is Federal 180gr HST

I think that the .40 platforms that will flourish are those specifically designed to handle and mitigate it's recoil impulse from its quick, intensive pressure spike on firing. Also crucial is how they can concurrently provide durability. Personally, I'm most impressed with HK .40s (in my case, a VP40 and P30L V1 LEM) and Gen 4 Glocks (G22). HK's approach is to increase slide mass and/or incorporate a polymer buffer component to the RSA's flat-wire spring, Glock's has been to utilize a triple-nested progressive/variable RSA.

Best, Jon

.40 isn't going anywhere. In fact, I would not be surprised as firearms technology evolves that it makes a comeback in some fashion. It really depends on what firearm is running the cartridge as whether the cartridge becomes desireable to the shooter. It's got a great projectile design which is very robust and expands reliably, and it has the velocity to punch through a wide variety of barriers. I did find it finicky to reload due to the small case capacity, and pressure spikes. I have never encountered a caliber that was so prone to keyholing and accuracy issues as when loading 180gr plated bullets on the .40S&W, especially 180gr Gold Dots. This was from two different Sig P229 barrels. 10mm Auto definately manages the pressure curve better, and was far easier to load for in a wide variety of bullet weights. Personally, I prefer the .45acp/10mm length action for running anything .40" caliber and up as the loading characteristics are easier to manage, and thus recoil and accuracy is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    .40 isn't going anywhere. In fact, I would not be surprised as firearms technology evolves that it makes a comeback in some fashion. It really depends on what firearm is running the cartridge as whether the cartridge becomes desireable to the shooter. It's got a great projectile design which is very robust and expands reliably, and it has the velocity to punch through a wide variety of barriers. I did find it finicky to reload due to the small case capacity, and pressure spikes. I have never encountered a caliber that was so prone to keyholing and accuracy issues as when loading 180gr plated bullets on the .40S&W, especially 180gr Gold Dots. This was from two different Sig P229 barrels. 10mm Auto definately manages the pressure curve better, and was far easier to load for in a wide variety of bullet weights. Personally, I prefer the .45acp/10mm length action for running anything .40" caliber and up as the loading characteristics are easier to manage, and thus recoil and accuracy is better.
    I agree, especially to the which gun part. Guns that we're designed as .40s (P229, USP, PX4, etc) are better platforms than up scaled 9mms (GLOCK, Beretta 96, etc) IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    .40 isn't going anywhere. In fact, I would not be surprised as firearms technology evolves that it makes a comeback in some fashion. It really depends on what firearm is running the cartridge as whether the cartridge becomes desireable to the shooter.
    I do not think the .40 will ever become as popular as it was at its peak of several years ago.

40 will never be as popular as I was a few years ago. That doesn’t mean it’s on its way out any more than 38 and .357 are on their way out.

The fact that all those police trade in guns from the last 20 years means there are hundreds of thousands in the wild. I imagine most of those police trade in guns will be shot a few tomes a year.

If anything, I see the 40 and all these police trade in guns the same way people saw 38 and model 10’s a dozen years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Regarding the 40, check this... new gun for PMESP – Polícia Militar do Estado de São Paulo (São Paulo State Military Police), Brazil.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...p-full-videos/

It's a G22 Gen5 with thumb safety identical to MHS pistol, and thicker slide (like that of a 45 GAP, more mass) to better handle the 40 recoil impulse.

There will always be shooters who keep a 40 caliber weapon around and shoot with it. Just like people keep other by-gone calibers like .327 or .32ACP. But as long as the 40S&W does the same thing to a bad guy as 9mm there’s no logical reason to choose the caliber that is harder on guns and parts, harder to control, and harder to shoot well. I believe 40 is dead as a service caliber. It may limp on for years the way some people and agencies keep 45 because they can’t let go psychologically.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Regarding the 40, check this... new gun for PMESP – Polícia Militar do Estado de São Paulo (São Paulo State Military Police), Brazil.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...p-full-videos/

It's a G22 Gen5 with thumb safety identical to MHS pistol, and thicker slide (like that of a 45 GAP, more mass) to better handle the 40 recoil impulse.
    Old News.

Sorry boss...

User Tag List