Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I'll just leave this here......this is what an almost 15 pound large mouth bass looks like. Yea, this was obviously back in my flying days where I had to be under 200 pounds.
    Now that's a nice bass! You sure you didn't just buy one of those plastic singing ones and take it off the wall mount?

I did look at the St. Croix stuff. Also checking out Falcon, and this No. 8 Tackle Hellbent. This has gotten surprisingly good reviews and I think I can get it discounted online pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Now that's a nice bass! You sure you didn't just buy one of those plastic singing ones and take it off the wall mount?
    Nope, off a cattle ranch in East Texas. Spider rod, reel and Spider Wire line on that one. Currently, I am fishing the golf course lakes most of the time at the country club. I like working top water stuff as it is fun to watch the bass explode on them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I like the St. Croix rods and fish them a lot. I have also used the Fenwick HMG and Eagles for years. I originally got them to use as loaners, etc. but find myself fishing with them a bunch. Great rods for the price.

Are many if you using casting v spinning gear? I'm guessing it's situational for most. I've never used a bait caster – they seem limited as a do it all when you're factoring in panfish along with bass.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I love my St. Croix stuff. When I worked at a Gander Mountain the discount was near 70% in some cases.
    Orionz06 – when you worked there what did you think of the gsx rods? They've for a nice sale on the gsx tournament rod going on.

Are many if you using casting v spinning gear? I'm guessing it's situational for most. I've never used a bait caster – they seem limited as a do it all when you're factoring in panfish along with bass.
    They are definitely situational. Biggest difference is that you can get a great spinning combo for a lot less than a great baitcasting combo. When searching for fish in open water, it doesn't really matter. Also, a bad baitcasting reel makes one want to go into "Hulk smash" mode after the billionth birds nest.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Orionz06 – when you worked there what did you think of the gsx rods? They've for a nice sale on the gsx tournament rod going on.
    I don't even know what I have. When I worked at GM I was only there to collect a discount and because I knew more about AR's and what sucked than anyone else. I did homework and avoided work at all costs because they wouldn't fire me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    They are definitely situational. Biggest difference is that you can get a great spinning combo for a lot less than a great baitcasting combo. When searching for fish in open water, it doesn't really matter. Also, a bad baitcasting reel makes one want to go into "Hulk smash" mode after the billionth birds nest.
    I've tried them a few times and could never get into them. At my height of fishing, 2-3 times a day with my schedule worked out to allow it, I used a few spinning rods. I was fishing Presque Isle from a kayak. Baitcasters were always something I wanted to like but never could.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    Also, a bad baitcasting reel makes one want to go into "Hulk smash" mode after the billionth birds nest.
    That's really the primary reason I've stayed away. Thanks!

I fish a lot, but only saltwater flats and marshes for redfish and flounder. Every so often I run to deeper water and soak bait for trout, but that is primarily in the summer when the artificial bite is tough. I use 13 fishing Concept A's with a Sarge Custom MOAR or Hookspit Wader LT rods, and I guess Texas is a bit different in how popular casting reels are as compared to spinning reels. I'll use a spinner to throw popping corks with Gulp, and when soaking croaker, but I can get better distance and accuracy with my casting reels. I also feel like I have more sensitivity to light bites when using casting gear.

That said, these Waterloo Phantom spinning rods are excellent value for the dollar: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wate...rod/pid-997238. Second would be a CastAway Go 2, and they are just under $100. If you can spend a little extra, I would definitely look at the Hookspit Zephyr Elites:http://www.hookspit.com/shop/hookspi...s/elite-detail.

For Birdsnests on casting reels, the problem is that you are either casting light lures in to a heavy wind, or you don't have the brakes or cast control set up properly. Get that figured out, and practice for about 30 minutes in the backyard, and you'll rarely have a problem again. Youtube videos can better explain it than I can via written word.

User Tag List