Thread: Any tests of Remington HTP?

Any tests of Remington HTP?

I went to qualify this morning, and after shooting up our old 180gr Gold Dots we were issued 180gr Remington HTPs.

Youtube and Google have come up with nothing in the way of testing. Anymore I'm wary of anything branded "Remington" which goes bang, so if anyone has info or links to test results I'd appreciate it.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Trading Gold Dots for 1980s tech JHPs was not an upgrade.

The HTP appears by everything I have checked, including looking at the bullets in person, to be rebranded Remington plain vanilla JHPs
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

The HTP appears by everything I have checked, including looking at the bullets in person, to be rebranded Remington plain vanilla JHPs
    I figured it wasn't an upgrade, but I was hoping against hope that maybe Remington had put at least some effort into this stuff. The only conceivable reason I can think of for switching is availability.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

I confirmed this by speaking with the Remington office in Lonoke, AR. The HTP's are the same as the old green Express line.

Totally unacceptable duty load in this 21st Century day and age.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

That type of ammo would have been tested back during the initial FBI testing in the 1990s. Should be pretty easy to get some idea of performance ref what you are carrying.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

From what I can find it performs fine in bare gel, but that's not exactly a difficult test.

I have to buy more of this stuff anyway to check POI and flash in low-light, maybe I'll pick up a Clear Ballistics block eventually and do some informal barrier testing.

If I HAD to use it I wouldn't lose any sleep. It will give you plenty of penetration and that's what you want. HST it aint, but again I wouldn't be too concerned, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 2alpha-down0 View Post
    Anymore I'm wary of anything branded "Remington" which goes bang, so if anyone has info or links to test results I'd appreciate it.
    As Chuck & Doc stated its a old load.

The Remington LE Bonded ammo I have 124+P Golden Saber has excellent performance even when compared to HST 147gr and 124+P

I saw 2 4layer test using a 2.7 inch barrel and in both test the Golden Saber Bonded 124gr expanded.

BTW I have several LE Brands in 40S&W, 9mm and 38spl , 38spl+P

The Remington LE bonded I got is some of the best looking ammo I've had in awhile. Both ends are sealed up.

The primmer sealant must been applied by elf.

The win ranger ammo sometimes lacks being sealed at both ends. In my case the 124gr T +P plus I had to clean out the HP because of all the media stuck in it.

HST 124gr ammo I have lacks sealant at both ends as well .!

BTW I also like Remington 148gr WC load for SD

The big three revised their basic hollowpoints designs several times over the past couple decades. The old Remington basic hollowpoints in the late 80s and early 90s never expanded unless you used the +P version and kept ranges short, they mostly collapsed in on themself at best in the standard version. The last time I used them about a year ago they all expanded and performed very well at standard velocities. They however are plain hollowpoints designed to do nothing but expand, and that's it. Don't expect jackets to stay on, or them to not fragment. Some will penetrate more than others and some may not expand at all. It's just a basic hollowpoints, nothing special. However they are not 1990 technology rebranded. They will do much better than the same looking bullet did a quarter century ago.

User Tag List