Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight dazzle?

Site Supporter

Flashlight dazzle?

So, I've been working on my low light shooting techniques with my Surefire G2 and I'm curious about the use of a flashlight to disorient/dazzle someone's night vision. I guess I'm mostly curious about whether or not it is something that can be relied upon to tip the scales in my favor when someone is advancing on me when it's dark?

What sort of light output is enough to disrupt someone's vision (if that's a thing) and what's considered overkill? I like my Surefire because 65 lumens seems nice and sensible without giving up much in illumination, but some WML's I've been looking at for my Glock put out something like 650 lumens...does that have any advantage/disadvantage in the scenario that involves me in a smallish apartment with light colored walls? Because I'm not too crazy about blinding myself at the same time.

A bright light to a person's eyes, especially in low light after they have dark adapted, can significantly effect their vision. Think about the effect you get when you get hit with a flash when someone is taking a picture.

It's not a force field, but messing with someone's vision can be an advantage in a fight.

Back in the old Sure Fire 6P "65 lumens of blinding light" days we thought that was a pretty big deal and a lot of light. Nowadays I've happy with anything from 100-1000 lumens.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

They can be quite dazzlelated but their trigger finger will still be operational.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

For unknown threats the responsible thing to do is use a handheld light for PID and hitting them in the eyes to take their vision.
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Complex question:

1. It depends on state of dark adaptation
    2. It depends on distance - square law, etc.
    3. It depends on output
    4. Are you really sensitive to flicker?

I wouldn't count on it. In a low light FOF across large room distances, I found mid 2000's flashlights just made the user a nice target. I never was impressed by the strobe. I can look right into it and ho-hum. Not the gun rag hype that I would get sick and dizzy. Are the new ones more efficacious - that would need empirical and independent testing.

I know a simulation where targets had Surefire's (not the 500 lumen types ) inserted at head level and folks just shot COM.

On the other hand, I did a home test where I work up in the middle of the night and said - oh, I am dark adapted. I took my Surefire 9P in the walk in closet with absolutely no light and aimed it down the closet. Wow, I flinched from light and had a persisting image of shirts and pants! But that was fully dark adapted. In day time, I can look right into it in the bathroom mirror. Yes, it interferes with vision but no dramatic impact.

Here's a point , if you are dark adapted the splash back from a light get you too! I was stunned so to speak by the images of shirts! It wasn't into my eyes.

If someone wants to send me a 500 or so, I'll test it.

How one uses the light matters a lot. Just because people don't double over and start puking because of the light doesn't mean it's not a valuable tool.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How one uses the light matters a lot. Just because people don't double over and start puking because of the light doesn't mean it's not a valuable tool.
    ^This^

Just standing there behind the light isn't a viable tactic. Many people think they know how to use a light in a tactical scenario, they do not.
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    I'm no expert but someone walking around a complex of dark rooms with the light held over his head did not fool me. As the light is not pointed directly at me - and I'm behind concealment - you are a lighthouse out for a stroll.

Since I'm an evil prof - I had my own Surefire and lit up the lighthouse with light and paintball and then moved to another position. I did hit a surprise dummy (stuffed not human) in the head with my Surefire at the NTI (they gave us a gun with an unknown number of rounds). But I was bad - I was supposed to pick up a nearby tennis racket for an impact weapon.

I guess I object to the early super hype blinding weapon. I have used the light on walks through the neighborhood when someone approaches and is unknown. It does make them stop and I then say sorry to another upscale walker. I saw an ad where it was claimed a light deterred an angry moose. I find the neighborhood dogs and cats simply look at the light with no noticeable fear or flight.

You're judging a tool based on very poor use of it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You're judging a tool based on very poor use of it.
    ^This^
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List